Malware

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
Mahony

Malware

Postby Mahony on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 am

Been awhile.

I have been having issues with Blue Screen and random crashes with my laptop. It has recently started when I bring my laptop into work.

I was curious if you guys know of some good Spyware, Malware software that is free and is up to date.

Currently I have Norton 360 and Malwarebytes.

My next step is backing up and then reinstalling windows.

Thanks in advance.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Malware

Postby buzz on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:19 pm

I still like Spybot Search and Destroy .. Everytime my PC starts acting funky, I'll give this a scan. Sometimes it picks up shit my regular AV doesn't. To be fair, I haven't done it in a while

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:25 am

the only thing i run is avast. i never get spyware/malware so i don't really know what to use to clean it up.

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 am

We use Malwarebytes at work.

If it's bad just reinstall windows. Just to make sure.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:53 pm

my favorite is still a combination of HijackThis and a lot of patience. Sometimes these things can persist through a sweep of HijackThis because they're still running and notice their file has gone missing so they replace it so you usually need to boot up in safe mode and do it. It helps if you use the "delete on reboot" option. This helps because if the malware/virus is still running it doesn't know it is about to go bye-bye and the delete on reboot happens before anything is run so it doesn't have a chance to fix itself. Also if you have it enabled, system restore will usually get rid of it. The more elaborate malware out there will disable your system restore so that it won't even work in maintenance mode, which is like, even more "safe" than "safe mode" but for some retarded reason windows will enforce group policy in both of those modes. 1 little registry setting and suddenly system restore trips all over itself. If you can do a restore to a time before it started acting goofy, that is your best bet. Otherwise you can try spybot/avast or whatever and if you still have problems you can give HijackThis a shot. just keep in mind that the vast majority of the stuff listed in HijackThis is usually valid. It's like looking for a claw hammer in a haystack, not impossible, but still pretty damned annoying.

TBH random blue-screens and locking up doesn't sound like virus/malware to me. when I see random BSODs, especially occurring in drivers or programs that otherwise seem to function completely normally the first thing I check is memory. When memory goes bad you'll get weird programs erring out for seemingly no reason and completely random BSODs that may often come from a driver like the GPU or sound system.

you can go to http://www.memtest.org/ to get a bootable cd image to run and just leave it to run overnight. This works better than the built-in microsoft memory tester. if it does turn out to be the memory you can sometimes underclock it a bit or turn the memory voltage up a bit to get it to run stable while you wait for replacement ram to come in.

The other thing that tends to cause random BSOD is temperature. dust in there makes it harder for air to move so some parts may heat up more than others. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
This is a good program to keep an eye on all the different bits that report their temperature.

good luck man, hope it turns out to be something simple :P

Mahony

Postby Mahony on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks for the info.

I ended up just reinstalling windows. I got tired of the crashes and trying a number of shit.

So far, no crashes, but knowing my irish luck, its just a matter of time.

Return to Tech Talk