wifi network question.

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
Grace

wifi network question.

Postby Grace on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:48 pm

situation-
my ipad gets shit wifi in my room due to the fact that the router is located on the other side of the house.

what i want-
i have another router, is there any way i can take the cat 5 , run it through this router and have a line from the router to my computer, thus having a wifi source in my room.

problem- can't get my computer to the internet..what did i do wrong?

got a new modem, which does wifi..have all four cat5 lines running out of it, one of which leads back to my router in my room..is that the issue?

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wifi network question.

Postby buzz on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 pm

How is the cable running to your room connected to the wireless router in there? Don't connect it to the WAN/Internet port.. Connect it to a regular switch port since it's really acting as an access device and not a router. What kind of router are you using in both rooms?

Make sure you have DHCP turned off on that room router because you don't want an IP from it, you want one from the main router.

Lastly, what are you naming the wireless? If you're going to use the same name, they must be on different channels -- Use 1, 6, or 11 ..

Grace

Postby Grace on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:35 pm

1. it was running to the wan/internet port.
b. the modem- motorola surfboard sbg6580 wifi cable modem gateway
the routher/wifi in my room is a dlink dir-655

ahh dhcp....i'll try to find that i'm sure it's in settings

as for the name of wireless network...i got two differnt names for each wifi net.

how do i get wifi in my room and have internet for my computer with one cat5 lead?

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:43 pm

You'll need another cat5 ... Fortunately, both devices have a 4 port switch.

If I have a mental picture of your network, or what you're trying to do --

In room 1, you'll have the motorola cable modem with 1 short cable going to a computer and another long cable going across the house to your room.

In your room, plug said cable into one of the 4 regular switch ports of the d-link. If you have a PC or something else in there, plug that into another of the 4 ports.

Don't use the WAN/internet of the dlink, you don't need to route here.

Hope that makes sense.

Grace

Postby Grace on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:02 pm

no computer by cable modem. cable modem located in closet. 4 leads out of the back and into the walls. set up sockets in 4 different rooms (not sure how this makes a difference on how i have to set up but just so we are on the same page.)

one of these leads to into my room, where i have my computer and would like to place the second wifi setup and have my computer running. so can i have both wifi and a direct connection ? gonna give it a try.

Grace

Postby Grace on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:21 pm

I turned off dhcp server ...

Still no joy.

Do I try to set up a connection with the router in my room? ...do I use static ip info?

Current set up. Cable-cable modem-to my room-port 2 on wifi/router-out port 4-my computer.
If that is sound, I'm assuming it's the settings in my d-link I need to fix?

Would resetting d-link to factory make a diff? Considering I don't have a wire connected to wan/net

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Ah, I see your setup now. Okay but yeah, how you have it setup should work. That's actually how I used to have my old house setup.

Cable modem in the back room -> long ethernet going to linksys wireless router in front room -> In port 1, WDLive port 2, etc etc

Do you have a link light then on your dlink where the cable modem is connected to?
Does the PC have a link light?
Is your PC getting an IP? Once you make any time of change, remember to do an ipconfig /renew or reboot ...

You can try a factory reset, it couldn't hurt.. When you reconfig it, where it asks about the internet, leave that too on DHCP -- no PPPoE or anything like that.

Grace

Postby Grace on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:16 pm

it works..some times...

seems like the dlink(rounter in room) times out ...took me several refresh and 2-5mins to post this...

error message
Error 118 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.

Grace

Postby Grace on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 pm

think i fixed it lol....
i changed the ip to my in-room router to ...0.2
think that was causing some conflict with the modem's router.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:36 am

If there's an IP conflict, it's very possible the d-link just freeked out .. Good find, glad it's all working now.

Return to Tech Talk