Windows 7 question

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
Stealth Assassin405

Windows 7 question

Postby Stealth Assassin405 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:41 am

Hello Techies,

I am helping my friend build a new systems. He brought a windows 7 pro 64bit via student offer from Microsoft. My question is since I can get my hand on a windows 7 pro DVD. Can I use the cd key and install windows ultimate 64bit on hes system?

Thanks in advance.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 question

Postby buzz on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:16 am

I'm not clear on what you're asking .. Are you asking if you can use his key with any old Win7 Pro 64bit DVD you have? If that's the case, then yes - it should work if the version matches up with the key. Otherwise, I don't know what you mean lol

Stealth Assassin405

Postby Stealth Assassin405 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 am

Stealth Assassin405 wrote:Hello Techies,

I am helping my friend build a new systems. He brought a windows 7 pro 64bit via student offer from Microsoft. My question is since I can get my hand on a windows 7 pro DVD. Can I use the cd key and install windows ultimate 64bit on hes system?

Thanks in advance.

LoL~ sorry let me rephrase.

Since I "can't" get my hand on a Windows 7 Pro 64x DVD but I "can" get my hands on windows 7 ultimate 64bit DVD will I be able to install windows 7 ultimate using the windows 7 Pro CD KEY instead.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:07 pm

You might be able to use his key. Someone keep me honest but I believe alot of these keys come with 3 activations. After you have his system up and activated, give it a try?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Win7 will install without a key at all. Microsoft finally got a little smart and said hmmmmm, instead of fighting piracy with a cd-key during install, let them pirate it! then after 30 days of not having a key we can hit them up to register online for $$$ and the key is automatically downloaded! WOO!

So if you have a valid key, simply install Win7 and when it asks you for a key and "do you want to register as soon as you get online" simply uncheck that box, don't enter a key, and continue. It will finish installing and actually work and everything. You have up to 30 days to enter a key.

I just finished installing Win7 on a new PC I built last night and it's waiting for a key, so i'll be finishing that tonight myself too.

And yes the keys have multiple activations, i think it's more than 3 but even if you use them up you can always call the number they give you and just tell em you kept getting viruses and had to reinstall and they'll give you a few more activations.

Stealth Assassin405

Postby Stealth Assassin405 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:39 pm

I just read that I wont be able to use the windows 7 Pro key with Ultimate.

Now I have to find a way to get it in a disc to install to that comp.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Just install ultimate without a key. Once you're at the desktop a key icon will appear in the system tray to register. Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose. Worst case scenario you have a working version of ultimate for 30 days, also if you already have a version of windows it will just move the old windows installation into C:\Windows.old and it will all still be there. Or just cut a new partition out of your drive and install to it, the setup will go ahead and make your system dual boot with the newest install at the top of the list. When you boot up its going to ask "Which OS would you like to boot into: Win7 or Win7" and they're in order from newest to oldest. You can also install VirtualBox, which will create a virtual machine you can install it onto and test it out without changing your current install at all. vbox is very fun to mess around with.

Honestly the whole install process is pretty quick and painless, it takes less time to try it than you might think.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Wrong Win7 version DVD? Check out this little nugget.. Very handy

http://windows7center.com/news/how-to-i ... windows-7/

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Just install ultimate and use a windows loader. Eliminates the need to register. Windows update works fine.

Stealth Assassin405

Postby Stealth Assassin405 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:55 pm

I used the direction from http://codesagar.com/content/guides/win7download.html and it worked. Have windows 7 Pro 64x installed in the machine now.

Thanks Buzz.

Return to Tech Talk