Google Music Beta

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Google Music Beta

Postby zel on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 pm

i finally got mine toooo!!!! dang, had to throttle the upload tho, 800+ songs to up and it was chewing my upload too much for a while :/

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Got my invite today!

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 pm

It's been like 2 complete days and only 3410 songs uploaded.. slowly but surely!

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 am

damn man, what, did you rip all your CD, Tapes and Vinyl? :P

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 am

finally. now. hmm. i have no desire to upload anything. wa wa wa

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 am

zel wrote:damn man, what, did you rip all your CD, Tapes and Vinyl? :P

It's not even that big of a collection, compared to some people I've talked to.. Total ~80gigs, 13,400 mp3's .. This thing says its a total of 20000 songs max, doesn't say anything about size.

Been collecting since 1997 when someone first said 'hey, check out this mp3 thing - its a complete song!' .... then I foolishly said, 'mp3? that'll never catch on' lol

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:50 am

buzz wrote:
zel wrote:Been collecting since 1997 when someone first said 'hey, check out this mp3 thing - its a complete song!' .... then I foolishly said, 'mp3? that'll never catch on' lol

Lol ya man, i remember when they first popped on scene and my buddy showed me how it was an actual, full song in the space of like 1.5 meg. It took up so much cpu time that when he would scroll the bar on the file explorer, the MP3 output would stutter :P

I used to have more but lost it all at some point, started over ripping my old CDs but stopped when I hit the old batman soundtrack done by prince O.o

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:33 pm

zel wrote:I used to have more but lost it all at some point, started over ripping my old CDs but stopped when I hit the old batman soundtrack done by prince O.o

that's a great album. i still listen to it occasionally.

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:07 pm

the first real song I ever heard on a computer barely fit on a 1.44 Mb 3.5" floppy disk on my Commodore Amiga, it was 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' in an early version of wave form, I had friends and family absolutely astounded by it.

I remember 8 tracks....I had Kiss Rock and Roll Over, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor and Pink Floyd all on 8 track and then cassette tapes came out, we thought that was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Still have a small handful of Vinyls, but I haven't used them since the 80's to keep them in good condition, someday they might be worth a little change.

[GWR]Droogan

Postby [GWR]Droogan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 pm

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Ya, i once recorded a song into a .voc file. .voc files tended to be smaller than .wav files but they sounded tinny and still took up like 15 meg out of the 200 meg hard drive we had for just 1 song. mp3 simply made it feasible to actually collect whole albums and such. I mean there was always MIDI but to get it to sound good you needed an expensive sound card. MODs were much better because anyone could play them but only had 4 channels, XMs had alot more channels... man, reminds me of old PCs, back when motherboards had to have cpu speeds set by jumpers and the same motherboard could take an AMD, Intel or Cyrix CPU and math co-processors were optional. turbo buttons and manually assigning IRQs and COM ports lol. 03f8/irq4 02f8/irq3, or back when creative labs actually packaged cool stuff with their sound cards like Dr. SBAITSO or the very useful wave editor. I did have some pretty cool midis tho that i recoded onto my sony walkman once haha.

I tried to setup a DOS VM with VBOX recently but had a hell of a time finding stuff i would need like QEMM to run DOOM, Descent and Corncob 3D properly :/

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Hehe, I overclocked my IBM 286 / 6 Mhz to 8 Mhz, the old school way, had to de-solder a diode and a crystal off the mobo, go to radio shack and get the new ones and solder them onto the board in place of the old ones and viola you were overclocked to a whopping 8 Mhz!

MFM Hard Drives that took an entire 5 1/4 bay for 20 megs.........
Almost every game had it's own custom config.sys and autoexec bat to set memory allocations and such.......

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:30 am

haha ya, because some needed EMS and some needed XMS, QEMM made that alot easier tho. Most games I had could run under 1 config until the higher end Wing Commander series came out and I really had to tweak it out to get it running. Thencamewolf3d and doom and wolf hunter

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:53 am

Are we feeling nostalgic? haha good times .. I feel like a youngin' - my first PC was only a Packard Bell 486/Dx2! 133 Mhz, I think it was. 210 meg HD. Kinda miss them days. Ran a BBS on that sucker for a little while in the 305 .. was soo l33t lol

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm

haha ya man, definitely feeling nostalgic. As I recall:

The old 486s suffixes were:
SX=ran at bus clock, no FPU
DX=bus clock
DX2=2xbus clock
DX4=3xbus clock

So the speed depended on what your MB ran at and the reason for all the jumpers you had to set.

My SX had a bus of 25mhz, so it ran at that. Later I picked up a 486 DX4 running at 33Mhz bus, but they just rounded up to 100 and called it that. When I actually ran a program to measure the speed it came back at me with 119Mhz so I was pretty happy.

haha, figures you ran a BBS :P

my favorite was The Arena in Tampa. 6 lines and ran the sirdoom door AND sirdescent. Ahh, good times :P playing poker and betting our time...

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Talk