Looking for someone to build a website

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
Azriel

Looking for someone to build a website

Postby Azriel on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey guys hows it going? Basically, I'm "managing" a friends band and they are looking for a new website. I know a lot of you guys do web design professionally and I figured i would just throw this up here to see if anyone would be interested in designing a really clean and simple band website. If not it's not a problem, but if you are feel free to either respond here or send a PM and we can figure it out from there. Thanks guys!

Azriel

Re: Looking for someone to build a website

Postby Azriel on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Never mind. I'm learning how to do it myself. I could use some pointers though. Have any of you actually built a band website before?

Is there an easy way to find textures and such? I really dont know anything when it comes to building a website from scratch.

[Creep]-Tyrant

I wish i could offer any good advice, the few times I have dabbled in making websites all I really did was find one that I thought was fairly close to what i wanted and reverse engineer it and/or replace the images/text and such with what I wanted. That's all I can really offer, browse thru some band sites and when you find one sort of fits your style, look at the code for it, it's not too hard to figure out what you need to replace or adjust to make it 'your own', I learned enough from that that I was able to start adding a few things here and there completely on my own though it's been a few years so I don;t remember much of it to be honest, but I know I could do it again if I needed to. In the meantime I will make an effort to get up with Kode, he is pretty good at this sort of thing and i am sure he'd enjoy helping you out since he is the creative and artistic sort, loves music and loves doing this kind of stuff.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 am

Google Sites is real easy to work with and setup. If you have a google account (gmail/whatever) then you already have access to sites. Just log in to google and at the top navigation bar you see on all google pages, hit the "more" drop down and sites is right there. I made a page for a band once. I just took all the pics they had of each other and used it all over pretty much. If i still have a copy of it hidden somewhere i'll post it up and let you laugh at it for a while :P

If you need backgrounds/textures, just search for "public domain textures" to find some sites with textures you don't have to worry about someone crying to you about later.
A quick search got me this cheesy site with some public domain seemless textures: http://pdtextures.blogspot.com/
flickr also has some PD stuff: http://www.flickr.com/groups/pdtextures/

hope that helps, goodluck :)

[GWR]Droogan

If you are designing from scratch here is a great site to get ideas from: http://www.templatemonster.com/

Azriel

Postby Azriel on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks Zel and Droog that helps a tonnnn.

Like I said I'm brand new to building and designing sites so literally any information and/or links will help. I know I'll be able to figure it out eventually its just going to take a little time. And Ty I've already been doing that a bit but I'm trying to avoid completely ripping off someones site. I would like to make this site in their own kind of style and hopefully stick to some sort of band theme or motif. A good friend is actually a graphic designer so we are trying to hook up with her and collab a bit.

Thanks again guys!

Return to Tech Talk