Postby buzz on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:10 pm

It's nice .. Haven't used it much but definately an improvement

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte ... ts/ie/home

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Internet Explorer 9 is out

Postby HangOver on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 pm

it passed all the microsoft developed tests with flying colors! hehe.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Oh yeah, no doubt lol. I was curious what you dev folks thought.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 am

i haven't put the rc through it's paces yet but i've had the beta for a bit and it is decent. m$ has a HUGE uphill battle to fight with me to get me to EVER admit they made something good. they could re-badge chrome as IE and i'd STILL hate them, just because i'd still have to account for their older, shit-ass browsers. i mean, you know it's bad when microsoft themselves have a website encouraging people to stop using ie6 lol. apparently china is like 50% sill using it.

i dream of a world where my code won't need conditionals based on browser. utopia.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Well, I know Rush doesn't like it (alot of articles on FB against EI9) .. Sucks if you have 64bit

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/ie9- ... in;content

glitch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glitch on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:16 pm

One of my co-workers is using the beta and it look like shit.. Like Hang, MS has to really show something really good to get my attention again.. On some of my newer projects I'm not even testing on IE anymore..

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

i used to stick to IE, i just didn't care to install anything else, till chrome came out. Now i just stick to chrome. :D

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Isn't that the program from M$ that does the same thing as Chrome. It sounds familiar.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:07 am

The funny part is MS has been emulating google alot lately... I wonder who is going to end up buying who...

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Nothing to do with IE but maybe this will help them earn some cookie points

Microsoft shuts down spam behemoth Rustock, reduces worldwide spam by 39%

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:37 pm

I'm just gonna continue using good ol' Firefox, never had any problems with it, and I still believe it's the best browser out there (though Chrome is pretty sweet too, but Firefox is just a little faster still). I hate every version of IE, for a lot of reasons, not just because it is M$, but it's slow as snails in a salt trail, uses way too much overhead, constantly needs updates to cover security holes, navigation is even a pain in the ass. I haven't looked at IE since IE6 (and even then I wasn't using it), as soon as Windows is installed one the very first things I do is install Firefox. I'm not a bandwagon follower, but I when i find something that works, and works well, I tend to stick with it and Firefox has done just that, so I stay with it. Recently I did install Chrome just to give a whirl, and it's pretty sweet too, if I had to choose something besides Firefox, I would definitely go Chrome.

On a side note, I do have to admit that M$ did a much better job in the OS department with Windows 7, I really like it a thousand times better than any previous version, my only complaint is those stupid balloons that pop-up every time you try to run a program that tell you you need administrator privileges or ask if you ant to allow the program to run on this computer. I set every program I use to run as admin (in properties) and those damn balloons still pop-up, really annoying. That aside though, it's a vast improvement over all the old Windows releases.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:18 pm

You know you can turn that off, right? Google UAC

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:43 am

Ya thats just UAC, basically an attempt by MS to assist users in saying no to shit and has been there since vista. If you can distinguish an actual program from a trojan you don't really need it. I ran on vista and run on 7 without it and without any actual AV program, other than the built in MS defender, without problems. Its just a matter of knowing what sites you're visiting and noticing the little things, like a file named "brittney spears naked!.avi.exe" isn't actually a movie, don't run it.

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:27 am

I figured it could be disabled somehow, I've just been living with it even though it annoying every time I run a game. I don't surf or download 'dangerous' material, for movies I just stream from a couple of really good sites I know where I can watch pretty much anything I want for free and I don;t have to go hunting for torrents and hope I actually get what I want. I haven't been using Win 7 for terribly long, mainly because it's only recently I've had rig decent enough to do so, so even just a few months ago I was still using Win XP. It took me a little while to get used to some of the changes they made, one complaint I do have besides the UAC thing is the change to Explorer, I used to like the 'back one folder button' which they've completely removed, and the secondary pane cannot be removed by any means I can find, although I have come to like the second pane now, and navigating without the 'up one folder' button is no crisis since I always have the full path in the address bar anyway and you can just click it there instead.
I will definitely check out the UAC thingy though, I'd love to stop it from asking me that stupid question every single time I run a game. What get's me is the fact that my account (the sole account on this computer) IS an administrator account, so why would it tell me I need admin privileges to run something when obviously this is being chosen by an admin account in the first place, hehe. Just seems overly redundant, probably an oversight on their part. The funnier thing is when it asks that particular question, it just says 'click continue' to do whatever it was I trying to do in the first place, so it's not like it did something to protect anything if all it takes is a click to continue anyway without any form of verification like a password or something (I realize that on non-admin user accounts this is not the same and you would actually have to provide credentials or log on as admin). Just seems pointless to have that warning when you are on an admin account.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:48 am

Admin makes no difference, since the general masses run as admin. The purpose of it is simply to prevent malware/viruses from running themselves. If the box pops up out of nowhere while you're on a website or after inserting a USB drive or something funky, then you have a chance to say no don't let it run. Thats all it's really for.

Return to Tech Talk