can a 6 year old p4 celeron with 2gb of ram

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: can a 6 year old p4 celeron with 2gb of ram

Postby zel on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 am

Ya, availability of the latest shit on the market is no excuse for sloppy code, i agree :/

Zombie Driver is a good example, That game has bad, unstable frame rate even without 3D and is unplayable in 3D and it's just a top-down driving game where you splatter zombies everywhere. Pretty simple game and yet it taxes me harder than anything else I own, which is ridiculous because visually it is not all that impressive but running over hordes of zombies is pretty fun.

I do kinda like games that push that limit in a good way however. The guys behind Crytek engine have always been about pushing those limits though and they've always done pretty good at it. I should get crysis at some point, it looks like fun.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

yeah i'm sort of torn on the issue because i DO like seeing things get crazier and crazier in terms of realism. but look at the uncharted series on the ps3. the first game came out years ago (i believe it was a launch title for the ps3) and it still looks REALLY good. the sequel came out in 2009 i believe and is even MORE amazing looking. the early teasers for the third installment look even MORE amazing. the developers learn to work with the tech they have and they are making games that rival even the cream of pc games. there are parts in uncharted 2 where the images on screen are so stunning i found myself stopping and staring lol.

the thing i like about crytek is how scalable they make their games. as we've discussed here, farcry was an awesome game right up util the stupid tri-gens came into the story and i am REALLY enjoying crysis. more than i thought i would. definitely worth the grab. especially with part 2 coming out soon. should make the original cheap. i think i picked it up (with the add-on) for cheap during one of the steam sales.

[Creep]-Tyrant

Yea I enjoyed Crysis, played thru it several times actually which is rare for me with games of that style.

As for scaling compatibility, yes I agree, that's something I like to see in games and don;t see often enough, even Blizzard understands this and has added tons of new eye candy effects for WoW, yet at the same time retaining the capability to continue to run it on the older equipment they were smart enough to realize a large portion of their players are still using. Now I am not a Bliz fanboy by any means (mainly because they rape you for $$ left and right, they don't even give you online time to play when you pay $60 for a fucking EXPANSION, instead you have to pay an additional fee for the online time to actually use the damn thing you just spent $60 on). I am simply satating that at least the coders were smart enough to think and add the new stuff without making the game unplayable for those who don't have a brand new system with all the horsepower to drive new graphics, and there are numerous other titles out there that do the same. There are also those (even smaller) handfuls of titles that take the graphics to amazing limits on older technology, truth be told, DirectX 9 is extremely capable of some very impressive effects, you don't HAVE to have Dx 11 to make a game look good, you just have to be a better programmer and write more efficient code.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: can a 6 year old p4 celeron with 2gb of ram

Postby zel on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Ya, funny thing about wow is they added a great mobile app to run your auction house items and even collect the money and such you earn from yoru android/iphone but you have to pay EXTRA per month to do so lol.

Previous

Return to Tech Talk