intel recalls sandy bridge

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
mantronic
Elite Member
Elite Member

intel recalls sandy bridge

Postby mantronic on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:41 am

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11 ... or.recall/

he Intel Sandy Bridge flaw that is affecting the Cougar Point chipset variants has been pinpointed. A phone call between Intel’s VP and Director of Intel Client PC Operations and Enabling, Steve Smith and Anand Lai Shimpi of Anandtech has revealed that this issue lies with a transistor in the 3Gbps PLL clocking tree. The transistor is leaking current, which can cause the 3Gbps SATA ports to lose performance or fail completely. The 6Gbps ports are unaffected by the issue as they have independent clocking trees.

The recall has affected all of Intel’s H67 and P67 6-series desktop chipsets and will delay the shipment of desktops using the chipsets by around one month. The manufacturing glitch will also result in a $700 million hit to Intel’s bottom line as it seeks to rectify the problem. Companies affected by the recall will include Apple, Dell and HP who all use full-power desktop versions of Intel’s processors.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles/11 ... z1CiMIVqzz

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: intel recalls sandy bridge

Postby HangOver on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 pm

damn, that sucks.

i'm actually surprised, given the complexity of these things, that this type of shit doesn't happen more often. looks like intel is gonna step up and do the right thing though, so that's good to see.

mantronic
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mantronic on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:31 pm

implications would of been huge if they didnt, the public will only see 1/3 of what intel pays out

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Considering the cost of letting something like this slip through i'm surprised it ever happens actually. One small slip gets through and boom, millions in profits flushed so its no wonder they're so meticulous about it. Remember the AMD TLB bug a few years ago? lucky they were able to patch that through the BIOS to circumvent it at a hit to performance.

At least it isn't a glaring problem though, I could actually live with it that way myself since I don't usually have more than 2 hard drives, the optical drive could ride a buggy rail and I couldn't care much less since apparently this bug doesn't make it unusable and even then i'd rather buy a $20 sata controller than be without my pc for weeks :P

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm kind of with you on this zel. I do have multiple HD's hooked up, but they don't HAVE to be hooked up to this PC since they are only for media storage and I access them over lan to watch movies in the living room. I do have my DVD burner hooked up on sata 3Gb though, but like you said that's not much of an issue. I think I'll see how it all pans out. I've not noticed anything untoward happening yet!

Worst thing about my system so far is that I can't find my CoD CD's to install it and play it with everything cranked up!

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Ya man F-it, worst case just get some cheap ass sata controller for the optical drives, bring on the games! :P If they come up with a more compelling reason to RMA, then I would go for it.

BTW, Magicka on steam, while not super crazy on the graphics, is incredibly fun to play on co-op and is only 10 bucks, just a tad buggy tho but they're working on it.

Also Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is only 15 bucks on steam and the single player story was great and the multiplayer is pretty fun too. The graphics are good too, not ground-breaking but for the money it's great.

Trine, Darkstar One both also good, cheap games. Trine is visually stunning without being a system-taxing game, its a platformer but lots of fun, and Darkstar One is a good space sim if you're into that kinda thing, which i am. did i mention they're cheap? :P

Man this has been a great 2 years for cheap ass, good games.

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 pm

That's what they get for hiring adolescent cartoon characters!

(Steve Smith, American Dad)

yea yea I know, lame joke, I tried.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:21 pm

well ill be damned. And i havnt been watching the tech news so I learned it here first.

Seems pretty minor, I'm not even using those SATA ports, but ill do the switch when I get a chance anyways as it likely refreshes my board warranty :)

Return to Tech Talk