cell phone quest: toon

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

cell phone quest: toon

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:14 am

ok. so background.

never bought a phone before. always get hand me downs haha.

i've had like 3 blackberries in a roll.

i was wondering which phones you had and what you would recommend.

i feel like a trader whore just thinking about it! hah

BALDheadedGRL

Re: cell phone quest: toon

Postby BALDheadedGRL on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 am

iPhone or bust, on screen keyboard is the best ive used.

i used to be a window mobile fanboy and anti apple everything, i went to the darkside, had the oppertunity to try an iPhone and after i jailbroke it, i couldnt imagine using anything else.

android phones are nice, but they arent consistent, no two android are a like. They are getting better and better with each software/hardware upgrade though.

Havent had the oppertunity to use a new Windows Phone though, but here good things.

You are probably used to a physical keyboard and blackberry, so you may even want to look at the Blackberry Torch..

you should just hit up the store and try em all on for size

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:58 pm

I just bought the wife a Droid X. It's phenomenal. Fuck Apple and their proprietary BS.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:42 pm

i'm still rocking the original droid. it's great. the droid X is a sexy beast as well. my gf has the droid eris and it's a pos. i dislike htc phones because of it (they put their own "wrapper" on the droid os and it slows it down).

the iphone4 is definitely nice. but not nice enough to have to deal with att SHITTY HORRIBLE NO RECEPTION BULLSHIT SERVICE. if the rumors are true and verizon is getting the iphone i may cry. all the apple sackriders will jump ship and make verizon as shitty as att. KEEP THE DAMN IPHONE AWAY FROM VERIZON PLEASE!!!!

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:00 pm

my biggest worry is getting a touch screen device and then not liking it. so i've spent 200 and i'm locked
in for 2 years and i can't stand the damn touch screen haha. that would suck.

pretty much everyone in my office has an iphone4, there are a few bb, and like one android phone.

i wish you could take one for a ride or something.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Some carriers do offer a "test drive" of their service where you can turn everything back in before X number of days. Its more of a test drive of their service not the phone, so you'd have to cancel the whole account so its best if you have a cell number you want to keep don't port it over because if you cancel like that you'll lose it most likely.

Best bet is to go ahead and just go to an official store and ask about testing out the service because you don't want to get locked in without knowing its what you want. Don't go to a reseller in the mall they'll just screw you over, they'll say anything to sell it and then give you hell on cancelling. I got screwed on a return at a reseller and had to make a big deal that I did in fact return everything.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 pm

i got an acer liquid e... its a decent android device on features, build is a little cheap, but so was the price, so overall i like it.

GF has iphone 4...she likes it but you _need_ to jailbreak it.

Toede

Postby Toede on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:04 pm

I just got a samsung focus, windows 7. I am liking it. It is my first smart phone. Microsoft has integrated everything so smoothly. I am pretty sure now most places allow you to trade in phones within 30 days if you don't like the one you got.

Toede.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Android... If you get an android make sure it's got a fast CPU and good build quality. I hate mine. The onscreen keyboard sucks (it's touchscreen only) and the CPU isn't fast enough to keep up with the stuff going on in the background so it lags a lot. Shit like dialing a phone number is often frustratingly slow for no good reason.

iPhone... I really like the newest version. UI seems so much more polished and slick than my 'droid. I'm not an Apple fanboy but I'm considering picking one up when I change phones/carriers.

WinMo7... Haven't researched much about this but it seems to be doing well in the press.

PCMILPH

Postby PCMILPH on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 pm

My friend just got a droid facinate and its really awesome the on screen keyboard is really nice and I hate onscreen keyboards. It also uses that new swipe for typing which seems weird at first but ends up being alot faster after a week or so. hes got asterioids flying in his background and widgets running all over and the phone still flies. I would agree with others when they say if you get a droid make sure its a quality model some of the el cheapo ones are pretty garbage but the ones that are powerful are really nice. personally I wouldnt touch an iPhone till they go to Verizon if even then as they may still be on 3G they made the announcement today but I havent seen which network they are putting them on 3 or 4G.

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:09 pm

which version do you have b6?

i keep seeing that the samsung epic is awesome but i don't know anyone that has it.

Toede

Postby Toede on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:14 pm

Milph.

They are going to be on their 3g network. It is a different type of network, so you won't be able to talk and do aps or vice versa. I dunno if I like the Iphone4, it drops calls like crazy. The iphone 3gs is now 49 bucks, pretty darn good price, and you won't drop as many calls.

I might be biased, but AT&T has done a lot to upgrade their network, I don't think anybody expected what kind of usage the iphone would do to any network. It was either a droid phone or a windows 7 phone for me.

Toede

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:12 pm

att's network is about to get a lot better because millions of people are going to switch to verizon.

gonna be interesting.

Return to Tech Talk