[GWR]Droogan

Hybrid Seagate HDD / SSD

Postby [GWR]Droogan on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:56 pm

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Hybrid Seagate HDD / SSD

Postby zel on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:01 am

for a laptop? yes: THG Momentus Review - windows boot times.

Edit:
Just wanted to clarify tho, you can't put it up against an SSD since it only has like 4G of SSD to it. Think of it as hard drive that boots up really fast. I wouldn't use it in a desktop build though since you have plenty of room for 2 drives but in a notebook its a perfect fit. I might even want to put this in my xbox and PS3.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:13 am

yeah ive never really need sold on it since i saw it, but its probably better than a pure magnetic disk.

if your laptop has a unused mini pci express, you can get mini pcie SSD drives for them, the kind used in like an asus eeepc. its like 32 or 64 gb, but it leaves your regular drive bay open for a classic one. its a more expensive option but gives you benefits of both without the drawbacks of hybrid. anyways if you cant settle with the 120 gig drives for sub 200, and wont fork out ~350 for a 240 gb then yeah a hybrid is the best choice i guess.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:26 am

There is no doubt it's better than a regular spinning disk, the more you use it the more it learns what needs to be on the ssd side. If all you're looking for is a fast boot this drive will do it with no work other than installing it, installing OS, rebooting like 6 times. Funny part is it learns just what files need to be on there, so its not like all the OS files will be on there because there is plenty of fluff that doesn't NEED to be on SSD for it to work faster.

What can I say, I like convenience :P After having to tweak my SSD and crap and having to worry about running low on my boot drive I really like the idea of a hybrid that simply does all the work for me, just wish the SSD side was larger and in a 3.5" format :P

I still think it would be cool to try it on a PS3 and xbox tho, too bad the xbox is a bitch of a system and lock down the system to specific drives cause they don't want you to just buy any drive for cheap. :(

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:51 am

They are supposed to be very good. I would be running one in my laptop right now if there hadn't been a good black friday deal on newegg for a 128GB SSD.

Return to Tech Talk