my computer seems to have RAM issues

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

my computer seems to have RAM issues

Postby HangOver on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:33 am

i have 4gb of ram (4 x 1gb). i was getting BSODs like mad while playing games so i figured i must have a bad stick (even though windows was reading 4gb total ram). here was my trouble shooting process.

i pulled 2 of the sticks out and left just 1 matched pair (the original matched pair i bought). i didn't get any BSODs with this but games would crash because i ran out of memory. apparently win7 needs more than 2gb (which i knew) :)

so then i put 1 of the other sticks back in brining me up to a total of 3gb of ram. NO ISSUES, NO BSODs. switched that same stick to the other open slot (to test if maybe it was a bad mem slot on the mobo. NO ISSUES, NO BSODs.

pulled that stick, popped the last one in and tried it in both open slots. NO ISSUES, NO BSODs.

so then i started thinking maybe i just had one of the sticks not seated properly initially and that was my problem. put both sticks back in, fired up a game, within 1 minute, BSOD. fucking UGH!

i'm stumped. i was gonna run that memtest program but i can't find my blank cds. but i figured i'd post up here since it doesn't really seem like the mem is bad, more like maybe the mobo doesn't like having all the mem slots filled. ugh. double ugh. lol. i'm tempted to just buy new ram (8gb) but if i do that and the same shit happens i might just explode. the only thing i can think of is it has something to do with mem voltage/timings. i have those set to AUTO in the bios because, quite honestly, i don't have a clue what all those settings mean or how to properly set them.

anyone got any ideas?

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: my computer seems to have RAM issues

Postby MaDSpartus on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:55 pm

from the sound of it its not a ram problem, its a memory controller problem

You memory controller is overheating/failing/whatever when running dual channel. I have experienced this as well, you need to run 3 sticks (thus forcing single channel configuration). All the sticks will check out i bet if you put them in 1 at a time and run memtest, and will probably run fine with 3, but 2 or 4 will fail.

the fix is not new ram its a new motherboard, potenitally bumping your northbridge / memory controller / mch / whatever you bios calls voltage will fix it. Perhaps getting a better (active) cooler on your northbridge would do it too. In fact your memory controller may be on your cpu, but you didnt provide enough enough details about this. What is the full system specs.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:45 pm

What kind of mobo you got? i know the amd AM2+ socketed cpus had a weird thing where they support 8 gig but you can't use 4 sticks at 1033, you have to drop back down to 800. it was simply a matter of not supporting all 4 slots at full speed.

And the mem controller is on the CPU on amds after AM2 i think it was so if you have one of those then its not an overheating thing, its just a limitation, you can do dual channel but not at its max speed, need to bump down to 800
Last edited by zel on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glitch on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:54 pm

I concur with sparty's diagnosis. I've seen that problem and others related to that recently. Particularly with MSI and EVGA mobo's

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

sorry, i meant to post the sys specs but i was rushing out the door. i'm not at home right now but i'll post what i can remember.

the motherboard is the MSI P6N SLI
the ram is corsair xms ddr2 800

i'm running window 7 64bit (i think it's Ultimate but i'm not 100% on that part).

just in case it matters (or helps) my vidcard is 8800GTS.

seems like maybe you guys are on to something because glitch specifically mentioned the MSI motherboard issue. is that something i can update the firmware for the mobo and fix or am i screwed?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 pm

ahhh, intel... not my expertise, sorry :) sounded very similar to the prob i had tho :P i thought it was the ram too but turned out to just be a limitation on the mobo hardware, nothing could be done, just had to live with it but i'm happy with my setup :P

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:37 pm

i believe my processor is E6850 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz

James

Postby James on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:37 pm

definitely the MSI board. I have had that same problem have a dozen times and it is always an MSI Board. Even getting a replacement of the same board doesn't fix it. Been sticking with the ASUS boards if I can and the occasional Intel board.

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

i recently found out that you cannot have a dual channel and tri channel memory working at the same time with windows 7. this is probably not the case on your situation but maybe just the information would help you look in the right direction.

we had 6gb (3x2gb) and 4gb(2x2gb) with the mobo running tri channel. had bsod like crazy but only after a month of working. weeiirrd. took out the 4gb and no bsod.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:18 pm

LGA 775 socket, nforce chipset

ok so your memory controller is on the motherboard, not the cpu. also your chipset is nvidia...nothing wrong with that, but i think i would say that intel ones have the edge on reliability. (that said the first time i experienced the problem your having was on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (intel 965p chipset) so no guarantees anywhere.

that said im fairly confident one of the new 775 intel chipsets would set you straight. take a look at either asus or gigabyte g45 matx board for example, ive used a good handful of them and seen no problems yet. that is if a matx board is acceptable. if not then id recommend the full size p45 boards... but i have never used one.

all this said, i think the alternative fix is what i would actually recommend. Put in 3 sticks of ram and let it run just fine with 1 gig less. Take all your spare nickels, put them in a jar, and wait for intel sandy bridge chips to launch on q1 2011. Go buy a nice new ddr3 system with 8 gigs of ram on 2 sticks etc. I, like you, am still on ddr2 socket 775 based systems. A conroe chip specifically, just like you. see here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... oadmap.svg

I totally skipped yorkfield, nahalem, and westfield. thats 2 die shrinks and 1 architecture. I'm gonna jump back in at sandy bridge, which is the next architecture launch. I dont think investing in a 2006 architecture to keep it running makes sense anymore. especially when a viable fix is to just take out 1 stick. Obviously if it didnt work then something would be necessary :P

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:47 pm

i think, for now, just running on 3gb will work. i don't want to spend the money on a new computer just yet and the 3gb seems to run just fine.

thanks for the help :)

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 pm

no problem :)

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:56 pm

i'm going to go ahead and upgrade the ram. i tried playing cod black ops and with 3gb i keep running out of memory :*(

i'm looking at these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231182

my question is this. if i put these into the dual channel slots but i'm only using 2 slots and not 4, is it likely i'll have the same problem? and if so, would putting them in non-paired slots prevent the computer from running in dual channel mode?

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 pm

the board i had with issues with was good for 2 or 3 sticks, but never 4. cant guarantee the same for you though, but 2 sticks is a slightly lighter load on the MCH than 4 sticks, even if still in dual channel.

3 gigs sound like plenty for COD. keep in mind that is the upper limit for 32 bit systems, which the game obviously runs on

is your page file turned off or limited in size?

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:36 am

MaDSpartus wrote:is your page file turned off or limited in size?

hmm. forgot about that. i turned the page file off. i will try turning it back on and seeing what happens.

Next

Return to Tech Talk