so i want to buy an SSD but first, questions!

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
glitch
Site Admin
Site Admin

^- what he said, I turned my page file off completely, 6gb of ram and i've yet to go over 4.5gb used.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

i only have 4gb of ram. i have an extra 250gb hdd installed. can't i just put the page file on that? or what that slow things down?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: so i want to buy an SSD but first, questions!

Postby zel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:00 am

You don't need a pagefile if you never go over the amount of installed RAM. Start up your most demanding game, open up a few browsers and just check to see how you're doing on RAM usage. Or if you're lazy just turn off the pagefile, run a game and see if it crashes due to not enough ram. If not then you're gold.

Don't put it on your spinning disk, if it has to resort to using the pagefile, and the pagefile is on a spinning disk, shit is going to slow down considerably which is not optimal anyways so there is no point. Pagefiles exist solely because RAM used to be freakin expensive and because hard drives were getting cheaper and cheaper. At some point hard drives got so big for so cheap it became the norm to have a pagefile 2 times as big as installed RAM. But with SSDs, hard drive space is at a premium and RAM is actually the cheap commodity these days so things have reversed a bit.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

you should never actually disable the page file, if you ever get a memory request thatgoesover the available resources it can bring your system down. that could be as simple as some bad coding in a 200 kb pieceof junk app you found. if you have alots of ram and an SSD, but the page file on the SSD, make it dynamic in size and start it as small as you can to avoid wasting space. It will grow if it needs to. dont put on a platter drive if you have an ssd, windows will still cache stuff to it if you have it so its best to put it on the SSD.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

is 4 gigs of ram enough to make a really small page file? this is mostly a gaming computer so i don't usually have multiple things running at the same time.

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

4GB is too big. And I actually disagree with Sparty. IF some crappy piece of code has a memory leak and causes the computer to go over the amount of RAM you have installed it will just call the needed information from the hard drive. The only reason the pagefile was there was to have a 'centrally located' place to do this from. The page file acts for the RAM like the RAM acts for the CPU: a quick place to access data. Being that you rarely go over 4GB of data being stored in RAM, you should be good to turn it off.

If you choose to go with Sparty's recommendation, then DO NOT put it to dynamic. Windows is historically miserable and page file management and will thrash the shit out of your HD (cause excessive fragmentation). Now Win 7 may have fixed this behavior, but the benefits won't out weigh the possible consequences.

I would just turn it off.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

how do i do that? heh.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

I agree with Tai, i mean back in the day you would never turn it off but as me and glitch can attest to you can safely, in this day and age, turn it off. I did leave mine on now tho cause of the minecraft server was buggy as shit but i found out the windows version of that server actually was buggy, and it wasn't the lack of pagefile. I wouldn't even make it dynamic, I would just turn it off. Alot of people quote some vague dependancy windows has with having a pagefile, and if you dont then the boogey man will get you, but the fact is many people run without it without problems and i've yet to see some chronic problem that was verified to be caused by the lack of a pagefile (as long as you have enough memory for what you do normally, like 1 GB isn't going to cut it).

Worst case scenario you get a random crash one time and it's because of the pagefile, big deal, reboot and turn it back on, problem solved, if in fact that was the problem in which case turn it back off if it wasn't :)

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Windoze Key+pause|break -> advanced tab -> Performance Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Virtual Memory Change button

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

unless something substantial has changed with windows, im pretty sure trying to allocate more memory than windows has address space for (ie if you page file is disabled and cant grow), it will cause i system error.

of course if that never happens then you will never see the problem

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

i'll try disabling it first. if it starts acting up, i'll turn it back on and start small and work my way up if i need to.

glitch
Site Admin
Site Admin

with win7 /vista it will usually just crash the app the called for the memory, I have yet to see anything crash win7/vista for lack of a pagefile. That said, I dont recommend it if you have less than 2gb of RAM under any circumstance, as win7/vista will periodically use that much just by its self thus crashing the program that called for the memory (i.e. win7/vista). The other one to watch out for is hibernate.sys which in my case was 6gb until i turned it off. That one is useless if your computer never goes into hibernate state ( and no, sleep mode != hibernate). hibernate is used on laptops mostly. pretty useless on desktops, and it will create a file the exact size of your installed RAM, which sucks if you have limited space like on an SSD.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

glitch wrote:...and it will create a file the exact size of your installed RAM, which sucks if you have limited space like on an SSD.

Yeah, I had 16GB eaten up between my pagefile and hyberfile.sys... Screw that noise.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

i'm gonna do this stuff tonight. when i disable hibernation, will it automatically remove the hibernate.sys file or is that something i need to do manually?

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

HangOver wrote:i'm gonna do this stuff tonight. when i disable hibernation, will it automatically remove the hibernate.sys file or is that something i need to do manually?

IIRC the file goes away automagically.

Fake Edit:

I ran a command that does it automagically - Turning it off in the power options doesn't delete the file.
Code: Select all
powercfg –h off

Source: http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windo ... erfil-sys/

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Talk