so i want to buy an SSD but first, questions!

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

it seems like there are a LOT of factors with SSD that makes it not as simple as just plugging it in and installing windows. AHCI, TRIM, etc. can someone give me a quick rundown on things i need to do to get the most out of my SSD? also, i should probably make sure that my motherboard (which is a few years old, MSI P6N SLI) can actually support the SSD at it's maximum potential. i know, at the least, i'll get the quick access times but i want the full transfer speeds too!

here is the drive i'm looking at getting. i will be installing win7 x64.

g.skill 120gb

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm curious about this too now. I thought it was PnP - connect and go ..

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

the confusion i'm having is really just the AHCI thing. i get conflicting messages on it. some say i should do it but others say it's only if you're using RAID (which i won't be). as i understand it, it's something you have to do BEFORE installing windows. all the other stuff can be done AFTER installing windows (like the TRIM thing, and disabling defrag for the drive).

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

I've already done it so speaking from experience it's not all that hard. Win7 pretty much tweaks itself for an SSD. It disables superfetch, drive indexing, and defrag, all of which are completely unnecessary on an SSD since it is so fast tho defrag is unnecessary since there is simply no read head, fragmentation is moot. I've read that win7 sometimes doesn't recognize it as an SSD and it may not disable these by itself so it's good to just check.

Here is a thread in the OCZ forums regarding tweaks and good practices for installing win7 on an SSD. they also have another forum with threads in regard to installing linux on one cause you have to "align" it properly to get the best performance out of it whereas win7 just does it automatically.

Depending on what type of SSD you purchase there may be other tweaks to worry about so i would visit the manufacturer's support site and see what needs to be done. I went with OCZ because their forums are excellent. The devs actually post on there and even ask if the community would like certain feature in the firmware, wtf man i've never seen a company do that, but i like it so i support them.

I've been think about upgrading to an OCZ Vertex 2 - 120G - 3.5". the 2.5" just kinda lays there inside my case, not really bolted down to anything cause it's 2.5" :( the one i bought was also only 30G and slower so i want something faster.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

One of the OCZ SSD staff posted up in the forms to someone's questions about tweaking and pretty much laid it out that in 2nd gen SSDs "fact is win7 needs next to no tweaking IMO" so basically if you're using AHCI and win7, it works automagically, and i like automagic. :) anyways, I'm just REALLY happy with my SSD purchase and look forward to when prices drop on them so I can get a faster/larger capacity SSD for cheap :/

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

hmm
went looking for deals and found a used sale, intrigued

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/kingston ... -a-949947/

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=021052

bah i got no idea, ive been putting it off cause every 6 months they drop so much and get so much better, i dont really see a good pause to jump in on.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Thats why i bought a sub-100$ one. it's not top of the line, it's only 30Gb, but it was super cheap and its still faster than any spinning disk. So i only use it for the OS cause it small but get a nice boost to boot times.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

yeah there are some stupid cheap ones:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... rre29qe4n2

but i hear the controllers they use a garbage, sometimes they are slower than a regular hard-drive.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

zel wrote:I've been think about upgrading to an OCZ Vertex 2 - 120G - 3.5".

just ordered this one. it has decent reviews and with the rebate is only $200. hopefully it doesn't die in a year :)

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Nah, it should last quite a while. They under-provision them, so the 120G actually has more like 160G worth that it uses to sustain speed/compensate for unusable areas or something to that effect so it should last plenty. I think you'll be really happy with it i mean, i'm real damn happy with my budget Onyx 30G from OCZ and that Vertex has more than twice the read/write speed. I really wish I could do it but i've got too many things goin on right now.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

it's definitely pretty speedy. just finished the install and so far so good. i wasn't able to do the ahci thing because i guess i need a floppy to install the driver and i'm fresh out of floppies for the past 8 years. lol i can't understand why they would still do it that way heh.

Toede

Well it could be the 5.25 sized floppys =)

Toede

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

hehe.

i *think* i have a bad stick(s) of ram. occasionally my comp (on this fresh install) will bsod on me. usually while in-game. there is no pattern to it but it happens pretty regularly. enough to be annoying. luckily it only takes about 15 seconds to reboot and play again lol. this drive flys. i love it.

the psu is new so i don't think it's that.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: so i want to buy an SSD but first, questions!

Postby zel on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 am

http://www.memtest.org/

Ohh yea, if you have lots of ram and rarely use it up then set the page file on your SSD to be as small as it lets you (was 400mb for me). This way you don't chew up perfectly good space on your SSD for no reason.

Next

Return to Tech Talk