possible new computer ... are these parts decent?

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

i'm not certain i'm actually gonna buy this but if i DO buy it would it make a decent (semi-future proof) system?

asus am3 motherboard - link
AMD phenom II x4 3.4GHz - link
G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600 (2 x 2GB) - link
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 - link

i already have a psu and hard drive(s). will this setup run current games at high settings? or do i need to spend more money?

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

i may add a SSD to the order ...

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

I say go core i7, but the price difference may not be worth it to you. I love those chips, though.

If at all possible, go SSD.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

Edit:
RAM and GPU are good! G.Skill lifetime warranty is tits.

And that CPU is no slouch, I just prefer Intel this generation.

awp-killer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sorry for the late reply. But basically verbatim with what b6 said. I got my core i7 for just an extra $35 compared to that CPU, but then again I found a sweetheart deal. The AMD cores need the extra cooling, while the i7 runs really nice and cool. I barely even run my case fan.

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

You know I'm an AMD fan from all the crap we built back at 'Scott's House', but I have to say the past three computers I've built have been on an intel chip. It's just a faster chip, and the price isn't that much more. SSD makes a big difference, but it's stupid expensive. I got a 60 gig for around 140. To save on price a little you could buy a 32 gig and just install your OS and a couple things on it, and get a normal HD for most of your other programs/games.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

the thing that worries me about the SSDs right now is a lot of people are reporting failed drives after a little while. i can't justify dropping that much money on so little storage just to have it fail 6 months from now. i don't know. it's tempting.

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Meh. It's a great speed gain. If you are that concerned just find the one that is reporting the least amount of problems. I've heard nothing but good things about the OCZ I have. There's a few failures being reported but you'll rarely find new technology without some sort of failure rate.

awp-killer
Elite Member
Elite Member

I believe that since they are new, the quality control on them is all over the place. I bet you could filter out the bad ones if you read the reviews.

My friend got a hybrid SSD/HDD for his laptop, and he loves it. The drive learns what files are the commonly used ones, and places them on the smaller SSD portion of the drive for quick search and read access. It's not quite as good as a SSD drive, but quite a bit cheaper. I would actually be a little surprised if this doesn't become standard in the industry.

[GWR]Droogan

HangOver wrote:i'm not certain i'm actually gonna buy this but if i DO buy it would it make a decent (semi-future proof) system?

asus am3 motherboard - link
AMD phenom II x4 3.4GHz - link
G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600 (2 x 2GB) - link
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 - link

i already have a psu and hard drive(s). will this setup run current games at high settings? or do i need to spend more money?

Those parts are so three weeks ago.

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

does the juniper xt make a difference ? for better or worse? i've been considering upgrading my 3d card as well but i keep seeing the juniper xt as a cheaper value.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you going to get a new case? Let me suggest this one

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

love the cooling system hes got hooked up.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Quad SSD in RAID 0? GG.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

this one seems to have decent reviews.
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SATA II MLC Internal SSD $158

i think i could get by with just 60gb. i only really play 1 or 2 games at any given time so that should leave me enough room for win7 and steam :)

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is this strictly a gaming PC? I know you do alot of design stuff so I imagine after installing Adobe and Microsoft suites, you're outta space. I once went the route of installing apps onto another drive but that was just a pain in the arse.

Next

Return to Tech Talk