PC Shuts Off after a few mins

Tech Support Help Desk Forum
buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

PC Shuts Off after a few mins

Postby buzz on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Hey Guys,

I fired up my old PC to try to get back into some steam games that my shitty laptop won't support. Right away I noticed the temperature was a little high so gave it a good clean up inside which brought it back to normal levels. The problem i'm having now is that it's shutting itself down hard (like complete power off) after a few minutes. To be more specific, after being off for a while, it'll stay up for as long as 30 mins but after it goes down, it won't stay up again longer than ~5mins.

What are the odds this is a PSU problem? Since it's a rather old PC, to replace any of the parts is to just replace the whole PC which i'd rather not do if I don't have to.

All the fans are running as they should.
It's not a windows issue as I went into BIOS and let it sit there until it shutdown again.

I've been out of the PC world for some time now .. What do you guys think?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: PC Shuts Off after a few mins

Postby zel on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:21 am

PSU is very likely though check the caps on the MB to see if the tops are bulging out, could be bad caps on the MB too. If it's the PSU it is likely the same thing, bad caps in the PSU. Radioshack still sells capacitors, at least in my area. Bad caps are sometimes fairly easy to fix, fixed my monitor twice by changing the bad caps.

I would also double check the heatsink for the CPU. Take the fan off of it and make sure the space between then fins is acutally clear. Some heatsinks might look clean from the outside but be all clogged up just under the fan and the only way to really clean it out is to detach the fan from the heatsink itself.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:12 am

I'll double check on the caps but nothing stood out when I checked.

I think i'm good on fans. I cleaned out all the fins of the CPU fan (even put fresh goop) and the GPU fan too .. Then blew them out to grab anything left. It was dusty as hell but its a whistle now.

Thanks man!

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Yea, if your MB is new enough the caps are probably solid and you won't have to worry about this, the PSU however will probably have the aluminum electrolytic caps which tend to go bad over time even if they're not in use. It is worth checking inside the PSU because if they are obviously bulging or burst then you can be pretty confident that the PSU is your problem and not something else.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Definitely not new lol In fact, the case is the one I bought from you! Pretty sure all / most came in at the same time.

Return to Tech Talk