Disney World

WickedNET : an unthreaded nut
awp-killer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Disney World

Postby awp-killer on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Hey Florida people! I'm planning on coming to Orlando with some of my family (2.5-year old son, wife, and her parents) in March for a week. We have hotel and plane tickets, but really nothing else yet. Does anyone familiar with the parks have any thoughts about what we should do, what we should avoid, or any general good trip advice for a Disney vacation? Thanks!

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Disney World

Postby HangOver on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:05 am

if your hotel is on property that would be a good start. it's more expensive typically but it's MUCH more convenient because they will have shuttles that run all day and late into the night. you don't have to drive in and park which can be a NIGHTMARE if you go when it's busy. if you're not staying on property though it's not the end of the world. what hotel you staying at?

you're staying for a week so that's PLENTY of time to see most of it, assuming your son cooperates :)

when we go, we do the park hopper tickets but that's only because we usually go up for a weekend and want to do everything we can. i have quite a technique for seeing all four parks in 2 days but you have a week so there's no need for that pace. however, the park hoppers are convenient if you find yourself needing to fill some time and want to go hit up that awesome ride you rode the day before. with the park hopper you just hop on the monorail and head over to the park. no worries. so there's a nice convenience with it that i think is worth the extra scratch. i think it's like ~$50 more to add the park hopper option but i'm not sure because we get a pretty decent florida resident discount.

there's SO much to do at every park. i couldn't possible type it all up. your son is 2.5 so i'd wager there's a lot of rides he's not gonna be able to ride. do you want recommendations for KID stuff or just general cool stuff for everyone? i'm a bit of a disney pro heh. i've been to the parks at least 30 times (i used to have an annual pass every year when i was younger and more energetic).

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:24 pm

He's a rocket scientist. I'm sure money is not an issue!

PARK HOPPERS AJ!!!

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:01 am

It usually takes (IMO) a full day to experience a single park. Don't try to cram too much into your schedule or you'll end up exhausted. I know you're focusing on Disney but I'd really take a look at Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure. They are basically 'sister' parks and you could probably do them both in one day if you start early. I was really impressed with those parks and they have lots of places that a 2.5 year old might really enjoy. Disney parks are great, too, but I wanted to throw that out there!

I'm in that area so if you want to know some good restaurants to check out, let me know!

awp-killer
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby awp-killer on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the insight. And sorry I haven't responded until now.

Our hotel is called Vacation Villages at Parkway. It is not on the property, but it's fairly close. Unfortunately, the shuttle evidently only comes a couple times a day, so we plan to rent a car at the moment. I don't really know a better option than this, considering the hotel is part of a timeshare that we are using.

We haven't bought park tickets yet, and we'll keep the park hoppers in mind. We were thinking of perhaps going into the parks in the mornings and mid-afternoons with a break back at the hotel in between. We heard this suggestion from somewhere as a way to keep from burning our kid (and ourselves) out. Maybe that would work well wit the park hoppers? We probably won't be able to go very fast, so if we don't do park hoppers there would still probably be a lot to do at the same park.

Hang, I guess we are probably most interested in kid stuff. He is super into Mickey Mouse right now. However I am still interested in general stuff too. In fact, since the grandparents are coming, we might be able to split away and do our own thing one or two days. Although we will all be sharing the car, so I don't know how feasible this will actually be.

B6, thanks for those ideas too. I remember loving Universal Studios as a kid. And yes, I would be interested in some good restaurant ideas. The food doesn't necessarily need to be "kid friendly" either, since our son eats everything.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:13 am

I'll try to add more later but for now, check out Cafe Tu Tu Tango. Really nice tapas style place. They have daily / weekly specials in addition to the menu and there are usually some great items there.

Return to General