Cutting the cord on cable/satellite?

WickedNET : an unthreaded nut
Kitty

Cutting the cord on cable/satellite?

Postby Kitty on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:08 pm

I've grown increasingly frustrated with DISH and am considering other options. I don't want Comcast and hear DirecTV is garbage so I'd like to avoid them, too. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with things like Hulu with Live TV, Sling TV, or something similar. Also.. HBO has to happen somehow. Because Glitch and his GOT. *rme* We currently have Netflix so we've got the streaming portion of this conundrum covered. Whatcha got?!

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Cutting the cord on cable/satellite?

Postby zel on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Several TV providers are going this direction, but here's the service my company is starting up: http://www.centurylinkstream.com/

Think of it like Netflix, but for TV service. I think we do not offer HBO through that service YET. The service is kinda in beta mode while they hash out contracts with all the content providers. But basically we have apps for iphone, android, i think windows mobile, and obviously any pc with a browser. So you can stream on a wide variety of thing except gaming consoles, don't have apps on there yet.

Directv Now: https://www.directvnow.com/

Same thing except I think they already have HBO in their lineup. Much easier to deal with DirecTV this way as there's no equipment you have to worry about them trying to charge you for (DirecTV is notorious for losing your equipment when you send it back to them and then charging you hundreds for it).

I expect every TV provider will move to this format sooner or later because that's the way people watch TV these days.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 pm

i haven't had cable tv in almost 8 years. between netflix, amazon, torrents, and my ota hd antenna i simply do not need it and all told i still spend much less than for a cable tv package and i rarely ever watch a commercial and always watch when i want. it's great.

Kitty

Postby Kitty on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks for the info, Z! I'll look into those and continue weighing the options.

Hang, could you elaborate a little more on your OTA antenna? Which do you have and how's the setup? How'd you decide on this one? What channels are you getting? Trying to figure out just how "local" these things get.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Kitty wrote:Hang, could you elaborate a little more on your OTA antenna? Which do you have and how's the setup? How'd you decide on this one? What channels are you getting? Trying to figure out just how "local" these things get.

the first thing you need to check is if your tv has a built in tuner. if not there's several options you can use to get a tuner and they range in price from like $30 to something ridiculous like $500 and it will depend on your need. there's a usb dongle you can get for the xbox that's like $50 i think?

once you have the tuner taken care of, basically it's all about HEIGHT on your antenna and obstructions around you. up here in delray, just putting the antenna in my window gets me at least 10-12 channels in HD and, for the most part, worked great. if i wasn't lazy and mounted it on my roof or something I'd probably get more. but i'm right in the middle of ft laudy and west palm so i think there's a lot flying through the air here.

the antenna i use is just some cheap one i got off amazon for, i think around $18-20. can't remember it was years ago. just search ota antenna there are hundreds and most are fairly well reviewed. indoor or outdoor options, based on your needs.

you can get tuner/dvr combo boxes as well but they start to get pricey with decent ones usually around $200-300 bucks if i remember correctly. i don't really care about that though as the only reason i have the ota antenna is for live sports and honestly i hardly ever use it. amazon now has 11 nfl games as part of my prime membership too :D everything else i either wait for amazon/netflix to get it or i just download/stream it with torrents or kodi.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:29 pm

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=29 You can use this site to find the distance and direction of TV transmitters.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:09 am

I cut a while back ago. I got an Amazon FireTV and use that regularly along with the occasional OTA that Hang mentioned above. With the FireTV, I got in early on DirecTV NOW so I get a lot of channels for like $35. It's probably not the best but does the job. Doesn't offer DVR but that's supposed to be coming soon.

If you know someone with u-verse, there's an app for that and you can stream all the channels they subscribe to. Just need their login. That would also work for all the other channel apps like HBO, Showtime, TBS, etc etc. Then there's the obligatory apps like Netflix and hulu. And of couse, Plex! It's a great little device. Highly recommend for the cutters.

Kitty

Postby Kitty on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:56 am

HangOver wrote:
Kitty wrote:Hang, could you elaborate a little more on your OTA antenna? Which do you have and how's the setup? How'd you decide on this one? What channels are you getting? Trying to figure out just how "local" these things get.

the first thing you need to check is if your tv has a built in tuner. if not there's several options you can use to get a tuner and they range in price from like $30 to something ridiculous like $500 and it will depend on your need. there's a usb dongle you can get for the xbox that's like $50 i think?

once you have the tuner taken care of, basically it's all about HEIGHT on your antenna and obstructions around you. up here in delray, just putting the antenna in my window gets me at least 10-12 channels in HD and, for the most part, worked great. if i wasn't lazy and mounted it on my roof or something I'd probably get more. but i'm right in the middle of ft laudy and west palm so i think there's a lot flying through the air here.

the antenna i use is just some cheap one i got off amazon for, i think around $18-20. can't remember it was years ago. just search ota antenna there are hundreds and most are fairly well reviewed. indoor or outdoor options, based on your needs.

you can get tuner/dvr combo boxes as well but they start to get pricey with decent ones usually around $200-300 bucks if i remember correctly. i don't really care about that though as the only reason i have the ota antenna is for live sports and honestly i hardly ever use it. amazon now has 11 nfl games as part of my prime membership too :D everything else i either wait for amazon/netflix to get it or i just download/stream it with torrents or kodi.

That's a lot of useful information! Lots to think about.. I see a spreadsheet or super complicated diagram in my future. Thankfully, there isn't much in the way of obstructions where we are. We'll see if an outdoor antenna will need to be installed or if an indoor one will suffice. I think I can expect some trial and error there.

zel wrote:http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 You can use this site to find the distance and direction of TV transmitters.

OOOH!! That's a pretty helpful page! Looks like I might be able to get away with an indoor antenna..

buzz wrote:I cut a while back ago. I got an Amazon FireTV and use that regularly along with the occasional OTA that Hang mentioned above. With the FireTV, I got in early on DirecTV NOW so I get a lot of channels for like $35. It's probably not the best but does the job. Doesn't offer DVR but that's supposed to be coming soon.

If you know someone with u-verse, there's an app for that and you can stream all the channels they subscribe to. Just need their login. That would also work for all the other channel apps like HBO, Showtime, TBS, etc etc. Then there's the obligatory apps like Netflix and hulu. And of couse, Plex! It's a great little device. Highly recommend for the cutters.

I'm curious about that "coming soon" DVR feature.. considering I tend to record a lot of programs to watch later (both local channels and cable), it could save me from the potentially $200+ expense of buying one. Although, FireTV kind of scored a big point with it's "expandable storage of up to 200 GB" feature. Because I need all the storage. ALL. Unfortunately, we don't know anyone with u-verse.. that might've been the most convenient route.

You guys are da bomb dot com, as Rope would probably say. Thanks for all the info! Really gave me plenty to think about. I'm probably gonna wait until I'm working again to actually follow through with all of this research. Next thing I might pick your brains about: a sound system/bar.. so get ready! :D

Return to General