Minecraft.

Place blocks, run from skeletons
BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Minecraft.

Postby BlueSix on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 pm

I've been wondering what's happened with the non-activity in the forums, then I discovered Minecraft. Have you guys all been playing this or what?

The free version isn't that great, but the paid version is pretty fun and under active development. This guy has already made over a million Euros off of this game and it is just starting to pick up popularity. I bought it... Sucks dangerous amounts of time.

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Minecraft.

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:40 pm

wow. not intersted haha.

so is that what everyone is talking about? hmm

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:25 am

i'm addicted to it. been playing it non-stop for the last week lol. it's great. i almost got busted at work because i played it all day on tuesday and apparently it uses a LOT of network resources. my IT department said "your computer alone is using more network resources than our entire exchange server".

it's an amazing time suck.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:32 am

In case you don't read PA, this pretty much explains minecraft:

[ img ]
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/9/17/

[ img ]
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/9/20/

The only question left is, Who's going to volunteer to host a multiplayer server so we can build castles? O.o

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:35 pm

zel wrote:The only question left is, Who's going to volunteer to host a multiplayer server so we can build castles? O.o

I've been considering it - I have an HTPC that sits idle most of the day.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Ya, i could do it on my kid's desktop, its just a dual core 2.7g with 4g of ram. You wanna run it or should i? I hear the multi server doesn't have a few things working like combat so you have to make a lighter and set mobs on fire or make water traps so they drown because melee weapons and the bow and arrow dont work yet on the multi server, just single player but the guy is working on getting all that on there. Should be fun tho. we'll have to PW protect it as well cause the greifers run amok on this game and destroy everything you make in a few seconds. There was a forum post on a guy that guesstimated a 15k ton nuke worth of tnt and made a 25x25xx25 block of tnt and blew it up. The server had so much to calculate it was unresponsive for over 2 hours and dropped all clients immediately, the results were impressive. you should check out the forums whenever the site comes back online.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:09 pm

If you wanna run it, that's all you - Your server is about the same spec as my HTPC. I think there are some admin tools that are available.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:20 pm

ya there are some admin server mods that give you the basic kick/ban type stuff that aren't implemented. It's important to note this thing is still alpha so i'm sure the author meant to add all that in later and flesh it out more but it is addicting as hell. I've built so much crap inmy own little world i think it would be pretty fun to get together and do some crazy shit. the fire is pretty fun as a mechanic. I'll try and set it up now.

UPDATE: bleh! got the wrong server .exe lol ahh well, i'll try setting it up again tomorrow.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:41 pm

OK so i think I have it setup properly, see if you can hit it.

zel.homeip.net

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -]corrupt[- Lexon on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:23 pm

so, lex is interested in this game...however i cant buy it due to lack of funds n all...so it may be a lil bit before i jump in.

For a multiplayer server, is it like the single player mode with zombies n all and crafting or straight up sandbox building...(it wouldnt be too fun if that was the case.)

it looks like a fun concept.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 pm

the survival mp isn't working just yet. you can play it, but you take no damage so it's kind of like the single player. only you do have to mine and craft for materials so it's still cool. i haven't bothered with it yet until he gets the mp working properly. i've just been playing the single player survival mode.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah MP is a bit broken at the moment but still fun. I found a spider dungeon which makes endless spiders... They can't kill me and I can only kill them by setting them on fire... Good times.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:49 pm

i spent 4 hours last night working on the foundation for my new palace. did a LOT of excavating. then minecraft decided to shut down. no error or warning, i was just suddenly staring at my desktop. all my work, gone :( i almost cried but instead i just started over. didn't go to bed until almost 3am lol. damn this game. damn it.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:07 pm

normally id be down for joining you guys with a game like this. Unfortunately you didnt schedule it properly and got interested into it when civ 5 came out.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 am

Ya Multi right now is basically god-mode but this is alpha, not beta so can't complain really, they're working on it. Problem is this started as a single player thing and so all of the transactions and calculations were client based and now that it's multi, he needs to move everything over to server side and just have the client send/receive commands so ppl can't hack obscenely and grief everyone's world by laying out 25,000 tnt blocks and blowing a huge hole in the earth. This guy does update alot and he just hired like 4 ppl so it should progress faster.

BTW: i changed from the windows version of the server to a linux server running on a VM on my windows box. Supposedly the server runs less buggy with the crafting and furnaces if run on linux. The down side of using oracle vbox is that networking is a little quirky. The first time you try to connect to the server the virtual NAT device that everything gets routed through has a delay and so the first 2-3 times you try to log in to my server it will kick you out. just keep trying to log in and once vbox starts to route you properly everything will work fine. I also run vent at the same ip for the MC server zel.homeip.net but my up speed sucks so it doesn't support alot of ppl, so far its just me and rhys so no big deal.

So far the furnaces work 100% of the time where as the furnaces would just eat whole stacks of whatever you were smelting at the time randomly on the windows server and inventory changes all occur properly as opposed to the windows server glitching out and losing stuff if you tried to move anything too quickly. The glitches were however time-based on the windows box, the longer it ran the worse it got so i'm not 100% sure the linux box is better till it has been up a whole day or so so i might go back to windows since the automatic shadow copy is great for anti-grief recovery but maybe i can find a scripted solution for linux to periodically save the world.

If anything changes and it starts to suck, lemme know and i'll just revert to the windows version of the server since its less complicated to run and manage.

Also, if anyone is good with scripting/scheduling things in linux plz lemme know, i'm running ubuntu. The world is saved in something like 10,000 files that total to like 12 MB of data using 15 megs on disk so i wanted to try and setup something that will make a copy and compress it automagically once every half hour and at the end of the day keep only like 2 of them, mid-day and mid-night, and then have a seperate schedule that runs monthly that keeps the 1st and the 15th of each month. So if you have pointers on how to do it i'm all ears :) I don't need someone to write the whole thing and set it up for me unless you really want to but the commands and how-to-schedule would be a great help :P

Next

Return to Minecraft