Map and game type

It's what all the kids are playing these days...
-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Map and game type

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:25 pm

ok so now we are running 3 game types

first off what do you think of the game types
secondly which maps do you think play best with which game type

this should be all of the maps on rotation now.
note: we can make maps play two types. rather than choosing one we are trying to see which types play best, that could be 2 types.

mp_backlot - [koth] plays well. [dom] also plays well. [sab] really good on this map. one of those all around maps.
mp_crash - [sab] is awesome on this map. [koth] also plays well. [dom] also plays well. this is just a great map.
mp_vacant - [koth] plays great. [sab] we haven't tried it on our server but would be cool to try, dont' know where the bomb sites are though. [dom] this also plays well on this map.
mp_broadcast - [dom] plays well. [sab] one side is way easier to protect and so it's bleh. [koth] is ok as well. i think this would be best as a dom map.
mp_creek - [sab] this map is awesome on sabotage because of the cover you get trying to sneak the bomb around.
mp_strike - [koth] plays really well. [sab] have not tried it yet but this map seems will play well. [dom] sseems like this would play well. this maps seems like the kind that can play all 3.
mp_carentan - [sab] this map is awesome for bombing because of the darkness and sneaking around, tons of buildings to run around in. [koth] also plays well. [dom] also plays well.
mp_crossfire - [koth] [sab] [dom] all play well on this map. i think koth and sab more so than dom.
mp_pipeline - [koth] plays well. [sab] [dom] don't think i've played either of these but this is a good map. probably will be good.
mp_citystreets (district) - [koth] plays well. [dom] plays well. [sab] have not played it but i can assume it will play well because it's a great map.
mp_farm (downpour) - [koth] plays well. [dom] haven't tried it on there. [sab] plays really well on this map, again because of the low visibilty and the pretty even bomb sites.
mp_overgrown - [koth] plays really well. [dom] haven't tried it on. [sab] haven't tried it. i think they will all play well but we gotta check em out.
mp_convoy (ambush) - [dom] i think this is a dom map all the way. [koth] play well as well. [sab] have not played it yet on this map, we'd have to try it.

hah damn that took a while ;D

to help you remember the names and so on
http://forum.battle.no/index.php?showtopic=20811
http://www.cod4central.com/cod4-maps-menu.php

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Map and game type

Postby HangOver on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:44 pm

i think all the maps we have play well for the gametypes we like. my only problem is with DOM because if there's only 3 or 4 of us playing, DOM just doesn't really work. but we can always just vote for the next map.

if it were up to just me, i'd have the server run 2 sab maps then 2 hq maps and so on. when it reaches the end of the list, it starts over, only now it runs 2 hq then 2 sab and so on. every map will see each gametype. until we get more people playing regularly, dom just doesn't work. i like it, but it's better with more people. (just my opinion here)

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:36 pm

true.

that sounds good. if we run both koth and sab on all the maps we have.

Phyrez

Postby Phyrez on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:19 pm

I agree, koth and sab work well on all maps. Dom, until we get more regs, just doesn't work well.

Also, maybe we could introduce a custom map into the mix, see if it takes off. I'd suggest mp_scrap.(the one in the scrapyard we played last night) It's quick to DL, easy to learn, plays well, and is not SOOO pretty that everyone just walks around going WOW(like forsaken industry)

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:58 pm

speaking of that

last night we played forsaken industry (myself and kode, tyrant was trying to download it while we ran around)

it was like 6am or something disgusting but we had 2 guys joining haha

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:42 am

start making notes of maps that don't work well in certain game types.

for my first note:

mp_backlot
[ img ]

this doesn't seem to work so well as a sab map because on one side the spawn point and bomb site create
a cluster fuck on one of the alleys. a few of us were talking about it yesterday. i do like the map but maybe
it plays better on koth or dom (if dom didn't suck, i really want dom to work heh)

we could consider putting the spawn time up to 10 seconds but don't know how that would affect the sab game
we can give it a try ;D

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:51 am

i vote for trying the 10 second respawn. hell i'd even suggest starting at 15 and working our way down until we find the ideal amount of seconds. i think the problem is that this number is VERY dependent on the amount of players. it may end up being one of those things we just have to live with.

i don't really think backlot is any worse/better than any of the other maps in terms of the spawn/plant areas. maybe if the bomb zones weren't the spawn zones it would help. if you always spawned AWAY from the bomb zones. not far, but not DIRECTLY on it. i think that might help but i really don't know.

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:37 pm

it's not the spawning on the website but noticed the bomb site is around a corner

marines come from one direction across and the opfor come out of the left side through a little door.
basically just throw nades in that room and you can hold them off. it just seemed very bottle knecked.

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:24 pm

I think we should throw a couple search and destroy missions in there. yah it sucks but hey its like old school CS. you die...oh well

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:24 pm

i don't think it works well with this game, it's too action packed and you die too easily in hardcore.

i don't want the camp fest shit going on or the fuck my team mate killed me i gotta wait 5mins

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:47 pm

That's why you make a short round time....very short. It would promote a team oriented advance on the objective. If you dont use squad tactics then you get waxed.

IE A heavy gunner laying down a base of fire while two assault rifles push up the sides with a sniper covering and a flanking element working around.

Just an example. I think it might be fun to try. Yes you do die easy. But if the round time is like 3 minutes then you won't be waiting long. Not to mention I remember back in CS when you died that's where a lot of the socializing came in. It would be nice to get that back. Helps build the community.

Return to Call Of Duty 4