2005 Montreal Car Show

Living life a 1/4 mile at a time
-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:43 pm

I'm with Tibs. The last model I liked was the 89. 1993 destroyed the Mustang, but now it's back, it looks great, AND it has balls.

And I think for the money it's probly the ballsiest car you can get (stock).

NubZ

Postby NubZ on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:45 pm

I see differently. Somewhat, mustangs have sucked for the last 20 years, but they still suck D:

I LOVE the 66-68 Fastback Mustang, the new ones "capture" the look, but they just miss something. The new mustangs are "thicker" then the older ones as well. Or atleast look it. I lean towards performance above anything else. Now for $25K (MSRP), mid 13 second car(generous)... I dont see the worth, the only saving grace is its a NEW car. Its not luxury, its not economical, its a performanced based car(GT's, V6's should be scrapped). And why can't Ford Power numbers at the Wheels... That ticks me off about Ford. New GT's Dyno around 260-270... The SRT-4 dyno's 250-260 and its $4000 less and and DERATED to 230 HP. Also, with that $4000 you can make that SRT-4 run circles around the GT (mid-high 12's)... Wanna know another fuck up that Ford did? The Mazda RX8... Originally rated at 250 HP and 0-60 in 6 flat, oh wait it doesnt even come close. RX8's dyno at ~190 HP to the wheels and costs more then the GT! And which amazes me, gets shitty gas mileage for a 1.3 Liter... Sorry I cant stand Ford Performance... Except the GT(40)... I love the Lightning, but Im sorry, 5.4 Liter S/C'd and producing ONLY 380 HP? Same thing with the Cobras(4.6 S/C for 390?)... but thank god, you can mod them easily for extreme numbers. I have just run on and on, Ill wait for a response to continue. Cars are my passion! D:

*** Edit ***

Posted while I was typing... The foxbody mustang is probably the BEST cost-to-performance car on earth. You can get a 5.0 for dirt cheap in good condition and there is a huge market for aftermarket parts. I dont like the looks, but I dont care that much. They are awesome cars.

Tiberian_Son
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Tiberian_Son on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:49 pm

NubZ wrote:too much to quote.

SRT-4's are cheaper because it's wrong wheel drive. :P

The first run of RX-8s were pretty bad, but about 6 months ago you could take them back to the dealers and flash the chip to bring it much closer to the factory rating. New one are already corrected. They don't have the flood problem anymore either.

I still think you guys are nuts. The new Mustangs are the best thing to happen to the line in forever. :wink:

NubZ

Postby NubZ on Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:05 pm

Yes, I hate the fact that the SRT-4 is FWD... I also hate that it has 4 cylinders NOT ENOUGH. I was just using that as an example because it works, and I respect its "performance". But the SRT-4 was built for the straight away, it handles like shit stock. So much understeer its scary.

RX-8's - I never heard anything about re-flashing their chips. I know they DONT make over 200 HP at the wheels. They are rated at 238 because its the highest Mazda is allowed to overrate them. Im not saying you're wrong, I dont follow the mazda line closely. I could be wrong.

Although, another reason I hate ford. Mazdaspeed is a joke. The new Mazdaspeed 6 may save them somewhat, but from what I've heard its a dyno queen. 2.4 Inline-4 estimated 276 HP and equivalent torque to an AWD system and the numbers I saw were 0-60 in 6.6... Which I dont believe. It should be closer to 5.6. I also heard, key word(heard), of the Mazdaspeed RX-8, 1.3 Supercharged... and its JUST reaching around 250 HP, dont know if thats crank or wheel. I surely hope its wheel or I have another thing against Mazda. The whole Mazdaspeed line up is a waste of money.

Tiberian_Son
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Tiberian_Son on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:12 pm

When they first came out I remember seeing dyno sheets top at 165. It's over 180 now. I'm not really trying to praise the RX8, just saying it isn't quit as bad as it used to be. I still wouldn't buy though.

From what I've seen of the Mazdaspeed RX-8, it's not going to be impressive at all.

Phyrez

Postby Phyrez on Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:51 pm

RX7 > RX8 nuff said

oh, and pre-79 mustangs > all newer ones

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:30 am

The mazdaspeed 6 will die and burn in hell

It cannot compete with its.. competition.

Yay, it's AWD, but its essentially FWD with torque split when needed to the rear wheels.. That's the wrong way to do AWD...

If that has changed since I last read about it, please forgive me.

Ruskin
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Ruskin on Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:36 am

RX-7's are great cars, and i really like the 8's too. Yea alittle pricey for what you get, but the 7's were/still are just as expensive. wait until the 8 comes factory turbo'd.. or even better twin turbo mmmmmmmm. i have a rotary hardon.

NubZ

Postby NubZ on Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:15 am

Hold on. I haven't read up on the Mazdaspeed 6, but if your saying its AWD at first, then converts to FWD? Thats the same thing as the R32, which I think is neat(And very quick). The whole reason for that is to keep traction, but I have to look this up now that you said something. But yes, with the numbers I have heard it will burn and die from its compitition by several seconds.

RX7 is way overrated. The twin turbo platform cannot support the turbo's, I forgot why but I can elaborate when I look it up again, I think it has to do something with seals(Im at work, Ill be here till 5) It is better then the RX8 by looks and performance but it fails anyways.

** Edit **

The RX-8 won't come turbo'd, especially not twin turbo'd, that will all be after market. The rumors are saying its supercharged, and since its "Ford" they will probably use a roots type. Correct me if Im wrong but, think of putting a turbo on the RX-8, its 1.3 liters, if its a decent size turbo... can you imagine the turbo lag on it? You would have to put a pp size turbo for a decent spool up time which will then boast low psi. Twin turbo will cost too much, so I dont think they will follow that. Come to think of it, what car comes stock with a Twin turbo(still being made), besides porches and other exotics? Seriously... none come to mind. Anyways, that why I believe if anything they will put a supercharger on it.

Ruskin
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Ruskin on Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:20 am

there already are 1.3L turbocharged rotaries(they are all basically the same motor) with very little to no lag. the second gen 7's came turbo'd from the factory, and have very little lag running on 5-10 psi of boost(plus or minus).The gen 3 7's run a sequntial twin turbo setup, and the seals(apex, im guessing you mean) can support them easily. sure if you crank your boost and dont support it with more fuel, your seals=fucked.

like you said, the 8's are already being aftermarket turbo'd, and they are putting out pretty good numbers. Also i though R34 when u mentiond TT still in production(or pretty damn close) although it might be considered an exotic, or atleast expensive ;)

NubZ

Postby NubZ on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:17 pm

Blah sorry, I meant production in the states. I wish that was here.

Like I said, I'm still learning about Turbo's. Ill never own one... Unless its a Twin Turbo V8... But I just remember hearing about the RX-7 and its inability to high horsepower, it may not be the seals Ill ask my friend about it. I dont know, maybe Im wrong. Im not into Imports(Jap imports)... Cause no matter what you do to an Import, you can beat it with the same or less amount of money with a domestic V8...

Unless its detuned very low, 5-10 PSI is coming from a Pee pee sized turbo. And Im so used to hearing alot higher PSI since I hang around SRT-4 fockers. My friend's SRT-4 hits 16 PSI stock. We have about $1000 worth of parts coming in for us to install. He should be hitting low 13's with it, and its all pre-Stage 3 work. After stage 3 he should be making around 400whp. Then again, I dont like the SRT-4 very much because it has limits that are already being reached. Here in tampa there is a 550 HP SRT running an 11.1, pretty sure its the Fastest SRT right now. I don't hate the RX-8 and I'm not trying to bash it except that its terribly weak stock and it was given a "good" rep that it didnt deserver when it first debuted.

Ruskin
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Ruskin on Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:21 pm

NubZ wrote:... Cause no matter what you do to an Import, you can beat it with the same or less amount of money with a domestic V8...

what exactly do you mean "beat"? in a drag? maybe.. depends on what cars were talking about, with what mods. but try hauling that thing thru the twisties with an import and see how much you "beat" it by. alot more comes into play then just the amount of cylinders your car has.

unfortunately whoever has the most money always wins.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:34 am

NubZ wrote:Hold on. I haven't read up on the Mazdaspeed 6, but if your saying its AWD at first, then converts to FWD? Thats the same thing as the R32, which I think is neat(And very quick). The whole reason for that is to keep traction, but I have to look this up now that you said something. But yes, with the numbers I have heard it will burn and die from its compitition by several seconds.

I mean it is FWD until it needs to be AWD..

It should be RWD until it needs to be AWD...

Am I making sense?

NubZ

Postby NubZ on Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:35 pm

Well, I was talking about drag. But for an actual track... Porsche is by far the best in my opinion. (Its not american, but it isnt Jap) I think Porsche is unrivaled on the track. As for Jap Imports, the DSM and Evo will rule.

Well, I consider money as a factor. I'm not talking about complete drag cars, those that are still street legal. Put it this way. How much money will it take a 350Z(As we all know V6 and the 3.5 has a huge aftermarket and has alot of potential) too make it hit 10's, 11's, 12's? Now how much money will make a WS6 Trans Am hit the same or lower time? Both in similar price range stock vs stock, both RWD, both N/A, both have just about every aftermarket part available, and both stock blocks can harness tremendous horsepower, and both are performance cars. The WS6 will annhiliate the 350Z on the straight away... Now on the track that is completely different matter, I dont know of road coarse builds. I can't think of many domestics that can hang with Imports on a track, but honestly, who the fuck goes to road coarses? Sorry I dont know any. How many go to 1/4 and 1/8 mile tracks? ALOT.

I have to go run some errands, I will be back.

B6, still havent looked that up. But I would think it would be the other way around. I mean, the way it sounds to me its mimicing the VW R32... The R32's driveline is AWD, untill it has traction and then converts to FWD.

i.e. At a launch it will be AWD and once it gets going it goes to FWD for the rest of the time.

On monday I will look this up though.

Ruskin
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Ruskin on Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:57 pm

im sorry, but thats the lamest thing ive heard in awhile. just because YOU dont know people that track there cars, doesnt mean it doesnt happen. maybe the people you know and talk to all build there cars to drive fast in a straight line. no doubt those cars are quick. but dont they have to be? they are being built for just that reason.

DSM's? gimme a break. the eclipse would be my last choice for a track car. The Porsche's are great cars, but look at your price range. The 350 you spoke of could be built up to eat that Porsche and still come in under budget.(i dont have exact numbers, but import tuner did just that with a 350z. it puts out about 400 to the wheels)

I dont hate domestics. i dont hate v8's, i just prefer imports. A car that can do ALL things well is much more appealing to me.

and im with 6, if its awd/fwd its almost pointless.
the skylines go awd/rwd

PreviousNext

Return to Automotive & Accessory