2005 Montreal Car Show

Living life a 1/4 mile at a time
NubZ

Postby NubZ on Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:39 pm

Sorry you misunderstood me. Or I just used the wrong words. I wrote that really quickly. I don't hate all Imports either, just there are very very few who can do them right. One of the coolest cars I've read about is a Turbo MR2 putting down around 460whp, runing a 12.6 and gets 48 MPG. I know that people go to road coarses to, and yes I understand that the porsche price range to be way high and could be easily taken by a tuned import or domestic. That is also if you take, what a Brand new 911 Turbo? Try a 1976 930 Turbo and mod it... I wasn't trying to say that handling/track is useless or anything, I love cars that handle great. I PREFER domestic V8's, I hate most 4-cylinders domestic or import, also I think there is a very big difference between import and rice, I dont "file" them in the same group. Very few impress me. Even in handling though, a WS6 doesn't just fail in comparison... it doesn't shine either. You are right about the assumption that who ever has the most money wins(figuring that both drivers are decent that is). I like cars that focus on power, that are streetable, because what I do, I do not need GREAT handling. Im not going to go out and corner on the streets, im not necessarily trying to get to every stop light the first. Im not saying that a full blown drag car meant to go only straight is king shit... Im just saying, it take more money to get MOST imports to hang with domestic performance cars of the same group. I think the DSM is fairly impressive if done right, AWD Turbo would be your last choice? I garantee that 350Z that beat the porsche though, would be beat by an IROC modded with the same money. Those are probably the best handling of the domestic V8's that I know of that doesnt cost over $20K...

As for the mazdaspeed, I agree with you... I don't know why no one has come up with that here yet. But awd to fwd will help in top end and top end only, but yes it is almost pointless. I know the skylines do it, that is one Import I would blow a load on, I have seen a couple to(in person, not in US) they are impressive. And terribly underated which I like. I hate overrated cars, like the Mustang...

I probably wouldnt hate imports so much if there werent as much ricers, you can take the girl out of the trailor park but you cant take the trailor park out of the girl... if you see what Im saying. Its all fast and the furious' fault, that movie killed cars. I love seeing a Civic (Fake SiR) with a 3" exhaust get murdered by my 4WD Explorer pushrod-6.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:38 am

FWD bias < RWD bias in the world of AWD.. Its just physics....

I'd rather oversteer, and then have my front wheels pull me out of that, than understeer, and just have less power applied to front wheels.. I can't stand understeer.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:53 pm

NubZ wrote:One of the coolest cars I've read about is a Turbo MR2 putting down around 460whp, runing a 12.6 and gets 48 MPG.

I have to call BS on this.. I'm not saying you are full of BS but that car does not sound right.. An MR2 that has 460WHP should be running way way faster than a 12.6 and getting way WAY less than 48MPG.. Can you link me to any details about this car?

NubZ

Postby NubZ on Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:18 am

Yes thats exactly what I thought. I was saying BS when I heard about it, maybe it was 11.6 1/4... but it said it got 48 MPG, it was an import magazine that I have(right now its in my friends car), but as soon as he gets back down on leave(Hes in the army up at Ft Bragg). Ill scan it in for you. I was thinking typo or something, but these cars that it was comparing got an assload of mileage and power.... it was unbelievable. Then again, its an import mag... need I say more? Just kidding, but ill scan it in... I called BS untill I read it myself to. I would rather see this car be BS to, because I dont see how they get these numbers... Its mind boggling.

Previous

Return to Automotive & Accessory