Car Audiophiles read up!

Living life a 1/4 mile at a time
DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:24 pm

Okay, so as I clicked the "submit" button, the phone rings. guess who.. its the shop. Here's what they told me... grr....

"The pipes the mandrel guys sent for the IC don't fit, so we'll have to make them by hand. Don't worry though, we'll change them for the production pipes when they come in. You can have your car tomorrow, or Monday at the latest".

Bastards. I think I'm gonna cry now :(

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:29 pm

[ img ]
lol rope!

_Pete_

Postby _Pete_ on Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:57 pm

DarkStorm wrote:Okay, so as I clicked the "submit" button, the phone rings. guess who.. its the shop. Here's what they told me... grr....

"The pipes the mandrel guys sent for the IC don't fit, so we'll have to make them by hand. Don't worry though, we'll change them for the production pipes when they come in. You can have your car tomorrow, or Monday at the latest".

Bastards. I think I'm gonna cry now :(

:( My parts didn't come today, either :/ Gotta come into the office tommorow and hope they show up, but I'm going to be at the Bad Boys 2 shoot all morning.

I disagree with your turbo analogy :) When you hit full boost, it should STAY there :) Spiking is a bad deal. I wouldn't run 20psi on a 20psi rated unit, but 15 on a 22 ... just seems excessive :) from a practical point of view, however, if it really hits full boost by 3k then forget any reservations <I> had. That's not bad at all. For drag, auto & tc is great. It's just that I wouldn't drag an IS, that's all! :D Like I said, if I could get my hands on a Buick GNX I would definitely go auto with a slush-box all the way.

The engine thing makes sense, now! :D I was wondering if toyota REALLY made a new I6 block for the IS300. That's frickin' dope. I can run 20 pretty safely on my stock block, but if I want more I'm closin' the decks and getting some forged internals. I'm aiming for ~400hp with slab-flat power delivery, so whatever it takes...but I can't get too crazy with the turbo size, low-r torque for a 2 litre is great in the wrx but it's still not too peppy down there.

Of COURSE you do great in the rain and mud! S-03 = best tire value ever. I had a set of S-03s for a short while but before I left I sold them because A) I needed a little cash B) I'm on 16" rims right now and I'm moving to 17 in the near future. oz gram lights or p1s, can't decide what sort of strength/weight I want. anthracite w/ polished lip :)

I have to hit the sack way early because the shoot starts early tommorow yo.
what gen rx did you have?

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:57 am

_pete_ wrote:I disagree with your turbo analogy :) When you hit full boost, it should STAY there :) Spiking is a bad deal. I wouldn't run 20psi on a 20psi rated unit, but 15 on a 22 ... just seems excessive :) from a practical point of view, however, if it really hits full boost by 3k then forget any reservations <I> had. That's not bad at all. For drag, auto & tc is great. It's just that I wouldn't drag an IS, that's all! :D Like I said, if I could get my hands on a Buick GNX I would definitely go auto with a slush-box all the way.</I>

I guess that's what I was trying to say. With a manual transmission, you lose boost with every clutch press, with an automatic you never take your foot off the gas and the engine pushing, so once you hit full boost, you stay there. No, toyota didn't make a new I6 block, but they are making a new 3.5L v6 for the new IS's and "300" series cars. The tuner says I can run 20 with race gas, but the transmission won't hold over 400hp for any period of time. Under normal circumstances, I couldn't do that, so anything over 15psi day to day would be overkill cause race gas is way expensive.

The S03's seemed to be best bang for the buck, not too mention they met all the requirements (size and profile). I also hear they are great in the rain :) I figured more rubber was better so I went with the big 18's instead of a wider set of 17's.

My RX-7 was a montego blue '95 (3rd gen.). They made < 500 of them. I couldn't afford the insurance (I was young, had shotty record, lived near a big city... a little over $5k/yr.). My insurance was over $400/mo and I just couldn't afford it. I traded it in on my tundra after 6 months or so. I got to drive it for free (relatively speaking). When I traded it with an extra 20k mi on it, they gave me $300 less than I paid for it :) I really miss that car... I guess I'm trying to get the best of both worlds with the IS.

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:35 pm

okay, so they're supposed to call lme today at 4pm and tell to come get the car. I was hoping to have the car at least a day or two before I made a 1200mi(roundtrip) trip to GA. Oh well, cross fingers. I'll try and put up pics once I get to hotlanta

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:51 pm

okay, I got her back. uhm... different doesn't even begin to explain the transformation which has occurred. There is a problem with the transmission shifting too hard after the valve body upgrade, so I've been told to go easy until around 3rd gear (keep from ds into 1st and 2nd). As far as that goes(3rd and above), all I can say is... wow....

she definitely hits full boost around 3k (@8psi). He said once the adjustments to the transmission is done, will run up to 15psi on the stock internals. w00t! ! ! Nice noisy blow off valve, suspension is about 3/4" too low I think, so they'll change that when I get back into town along with some other minor tuning issues. Otherwise, all I can say is....

[scroll]W O W. . . . [/scroll]

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:26 pm

What kind of punk ass forum is this??!!

No one has made the rally cry..

Bitches..I'll do it..

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rope

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:05 am

I'll be home soon enough.. patience.. patience...

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:19 pm

Patience?? Patience?? Dude, I'm in the middle of f-ing nowhre at my parents ranch on a frickin' 56K and a Pentium 200.. NOW THAT is patience..

GIMME PICS WHORE!!

hehe I get grumpy when I have no technology at my disposal.. gonna go play with my Ipod to remain sane :-D

Can't wait to see her Darky. You have given me turbo fever once again.

Boonie

Postby Boonie on Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:38 pm

With a manual transmission, you lose boost with every clutch press, with an automatic you never take your foot off the gas and the engine pushing, so once you hit full boost, you stay there

With a manual, you only loose boost if you shift like a pussy. Don't take your foot off the gas and shift fast, you will loose less boost than an automatic. Don't do this when you drive to the corner store, just in time of need. Like when some bitch is pushing you with daddy's corvette and you want to show him the difference between stock and perfermance!!!

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:50 pm

Boonie wrote:
With a manual transmission, you lose boost with every clutch press, with an automatic you never take your foot off the gas and the engine pushing, so once you hit full boost, you stay there

With a manual, you only loose boost if you shift like a pussy. Don't take your foot off the gas and shift fast, you will loose less boost than an automatic. Don't do this when you drive to the corner store, just in time of need. Like when some bitch is pushing you with daddy's corvette and you want to show him the difference between stock and perfermance!!!

I have to disagree boonie :( If you run your car up to the redline, you HAVE to let off the gas when shifting. Otherwise you could end up with many horrible things happening to your engine.. Maybe you have a rev limiter, but that's not necessarily good for the engine either :-/

There's a good reason the crazy drag cars are autos.

I had a civic hb (meh), a camaro, a saleen, and a vette (new model, but not sure if reg or z06) for lunch on my ride home today. What fun ! ! ! !

Previous

Return to Automotive & Accessory