Living life a 1/4 mile at a time
DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:24 pm

pics tomorrow or wednesday..

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:15 am

hehe yeah it gets loud. I hit 154.9 (A weighted) at my last official competition. It's purely pointless, ask anyone that has listened to my truck at full volume. What SCARES me are some of the SPL freaks I know around here are now in the 160's!! WTF! Granted their systems LOOK and SOUND like utter ASS. All it can do is burp one note and register on the meter. It doesn't impress me at all, but it is LOUD. I'm glad you are going for a cosmetic install as well. Looks are important.

PICS! PICS!
here are a few of mine to pass the time.. then we will get Cloud's Supa dupa whiz-bang rocka-ma-jocka stereo pics.

[ img ]

[ img ]

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:44 am

you a sick mofo rope

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:06 pm

okay guys, here's the preliminary pics. sounddomain = slow as piss, so just be patient

http://members.sounddomain.com/darkstorm

more pics as more gets complete

mantronic
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby mantronic on Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:28 pm

josh your one sick bitch i love you!

StingRay

Postby StingRay on Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:33 pm

hehe no wonder ropes gonna bring a extra car to the lans, not even a mouse fits back their!

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:23 pm

starting to come together Darky! Looks good so far.
Keep them pics coming

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:36 pm

Its almost done (the turbo that is!) ! !! ! !! ! ! I can't wait! ! ! !! ! only 6 more days ! ! ! ! ! ! omfg I'm going stircrazy with no wheels ! ! ! ! ! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah h h h h h hh h h h h h h hh

(this is for guinness)
In My Opinion, it should be fucking badass! ! ! !!

_Pete_

Postby _Pete_ on Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:25 pm

Rope wrote:
Can't wait to ride in your ride. I haven't ridden in any other turbo vehicle besides a Phoon and a Syclone. Sounds like yours is gonna rock!

Rope

Then ya gotta fly to puerto rico and take a ride in the rex baby :>

[ete

_Pete_

Postby _Pete_ on Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:33 pm

DarkStorm wrote:Its almost done (the turbo that is!) ! !! ! !! ! ! I can't wait! ! ! !! ! only 6 more days ! ! ! ! ! ! omfg I'm going stircrazy with no wheels ! ! ! ! ! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah h h h h h hh h h h h h h hh

(this is for guinness)
In My Opinion, it should be fucking badass! ! ! !!

What turbo are you putting in there? I don't know much about IS tuning, but I may as well pay attention if you're gunna work that car :) I'm a little while away from a turbo upgrade at the moment, there's plenty I can do before I want to graduate from the 14psi -- suspension comes first here, the roads are a blast :>

I have an anti-lift kit and fstb coming in the mail tommorow, I can't wait :) christmas shopping and torque wrenches, a fine saturday.

pics pics pics, and a list of what you've done to your car so far. are new injectors goin in? already have engine management?

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:03 am

_Pete wrote:What turbo are you putting in there? I don't know much about IS tuning, but I may as well pay attention if you're gunna work that car :) I'm a little while away from a turbo upgrade at the moment, there's plenty I can do before I want to graduate from the 14psi -- suspension comes first here, the roads are a blast :>

I have an anti-lift kit and fstb coming in the mail tommorow, I can't wait :) christmas shopping and torque wrenches, a fine saturday.

pics pics pics, and a list of what you've done to your car so far. are new injectors goin in? already have engine management?

pete = cohagen? hangover? just in case yer some rebel 1337 st33t r4c3r or something :)

There's actually a bunch of stuff, not just the turbo. Here's the short list:

Garret 60-1 hi-fi turbo (~900cfm)
13"x19"x3" Front mount intercooler (~1100cfm capable)
either 3/4" or 7/8" (i can't remember)Cast Iron exhaust manifold
680cc (~60lb) injectors
A larger fuel pump
Electromotive Tec3 engine management
Stoptech 355mm (14") 4 caliper brakes up front
Bigger slotted rotors and racing pads in the back
stainless brake lines all around
Tein FLEX w/EDFC suspension
18"x8.5" SSR GT1's in the front
18"x9.5" SSR GT1's in the back
Bridgestone S03 tires (235/45/18 up front 255/40/18 back)
and of course the normal turbo stuff (intercooler piping, wastegate, boost controller, etc).

As far as tuning the IS is concerned, there are only 5 shops I know of that will even attempt this right now. Everything is custom made from all five of the shops although some of them are using Haltech and Motec systems while others are using overglorified afc's still.

What's an anti-life kit?? Sway bars is my guess. I haven't ordered any of those or the strut braces yet. I'm gonna see how she does with the tein suspension first. If I need the car to be more rigid on track days, maybe I'll invest in some sways and strut bars. The car handles a lot better than people think when it's stock, so I imagine it will be fine for a while with just the teins :)

Just one more day but it feels like forever. The minutes are just barely ticking by as the clock laughs at me :( She only has to go back for 1 more week to finish up the stereo and a couple of follow ups with the turbo guys. I'm gonna be out knockin out some competitions this year, maybe in a town near you (since FL seems to be a big spot for the large competitions... not to mention the lan :))

On a brighter note, I kind of made up with this girl I've been seeing so I'll be getting laid tomorrow w00t! ! ! Pussy and cars... what more is there?

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:02 am

Garret 60-1 hi-fi turbo (~900cfm

OMFG thats the hairdryer I had on the Typhoon.. IT LIVES!!! Dude, that turbo is nice. For being 900CFM it spools QUICK. Ran 22 pounds through it a few times at the track with no probs.

I'm gonna have to bring extra underwear when I see it.. I miss my turbo :|

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:26 am

Rope wrote:
Garret 60-1 hi-fi turbo (~900cfm

OMFG thats the hairdryer I had on the Typhoon.. IT LIVES!!! Dude, that turbo is nice. For being 900CFM it spools QUICK. Ran 22 pounds through it a few times at the track with no probs.

I'm gonna have to bring extra underwear when I see it.. I miss my turbo :|

Indeed it is a hair dryer, only better :) I'll only be running 10-12psi with it most of the time. Any more than that and I will probably be switchin up for some race gas. I may end up with a 25 or so shot on the car as well, depending on the lag. They say the 60-1 turbo is perfect for 400-500hp range, which should be plenty for what I'm going to be doing.

They say any more than 15 and I can kiss my tranny goodbye, so I'm gonna try and save up for that as my birthday present to myself (those are the best aren't they?). That won't be until April, so until then I'll have to deal with ~375-425 hp, depending on how the tuning goes (tranny is rated up to 450, but that's the upper upper limit :(). I still have to decide whether to go with the 6spd getrag (good to 800hp+) or the upgraded auto & tc (good to 800hp as well). There's about a $1500 price difference between the two units, plus install. Why can't this shit be free. When the fuck is nanotech coming to a neighborhood near me?

Oh, did I mention I went with a "stealth" install? I had them paint the intercooler black and already have a place picked out to hide the gauges (you'll have to see what I"m talking about when that part is done in January).

I'll try and put some pics up over the weekend or one day next week as my weekend is pretty hectic. Maybe tomorrow if I decide to stop driving for some reason :)

Pete, we should meet somewhere not even close to the middle.. like.. hmmm.... Miami.. maybe uhm... say.... in March.. on the uhm... 7th, 8th or 9th... hmm... :) I got $100 :) the rex runs 14psi stock?

I'm too fired up to sleep, so I'm going to do something different and go beat up on some cs n00bers for a few and then off to bed. Maybe I'll sleep until 2 when I can get up, shower, and go straight to the shop :)

_Pete_

Postby _Pete_ on Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:36 am

Can the stock IS block really take any more than 12psi? That's pretty awesome. Are the decks partially closed? Are there IS300s with forced induction stock? I just know next to nothing about them :D All I know is it's a 3 litre inline six w/ somewhere in the neighbourhood of 220bhp/lb-ft stock :D

You're following a nice upgrade path! 6SPD manual is the only way to go with a car like that. The only time I'd ever rock the auto personally is if I had a Buick GNX for drag-racin' :>

Good choice on Garret! They make wonderful turbo's. I'm wondering though why you're looking at a turbo that large if you don't plan on running more than 12psi. I know you say it spools fast for a biggun, but no matter how nice it is it won't spool as fast as a smaller turbo that will only flow what you need :)

The WRX runs 14psi stock in 2nd-5th gear, governed to 9psi in first gear. The stock turbo is capable of ~16-17 in all gears, then our little TD04 unit runs out of steam :) When I'm ready for the turbo upgrade, I'll be putting a hybrid garret/ihi turbo in there. I'm sticking with the TMIC because I like the low moment of polar inertia and the improved throttle response.

You've got quite a list, so far! I like the stealth approach, too :) I'm running Omori gauges on the a-column because I have plans for my center-console. They're not huge or anything though. Tec3 is definitely nice engine management! After christmas I'm ordering some hybrid engine-management myself, the TXS UTEC unit -- very cool, and reasonably priced :>

I'm trying my best to show up for the Miami LAN, but despite what it says over there <------------------- I live in Puerto Rico now! It cost me 7,500 bones to bring my WRX here, I'm not movin' it back for a race :) You'd out-drag me any day, though :> I'd have to take you out on some wet bumpy muddy roads to havea chance in my car's current trim :) You'd be surprised what paying 7,500 for a car you already own does to your car-mod plans!

P.S. yes, cohagen! not a street racer at all, track events only please :)

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:21 pm

The stock block can handle 26psi with the 3mm headgasket and race gas. She puts about 170hp to the wheels n/a :) Its not "recommended" to boost that high as the stock internals(aluminum) will be pushed to the absolute limits. That's another upgrade to myself for next 4th July maybe? I dunno :) Forged supra rods and pistons aren't that expensive I guess. The bottom is the same from the turbo supras and the top side is from the n/a supras. Frame based on a supra design as well. Should end up as the ultimate sleeper. For all you F&F guys out there, NO, I didn't steal the engine out of some fuxored supra in a junkyard... it came with the car (just like the taillights!) :)

If I get into autoX I could see getting the 6spd, but otherwise I'm not sure if it'd make much difference, especially as a daily driver. The upgraded auto & tc has a 2700rpm stall (~2000-2200 stock), so that would basically launch the car at 90% boost and leave it shifting about like stock, just a little faster :). Plus with an auto, the boost doesn't drop between gears so there's no lag once the turbo gets spinning. Can't beat that with a stick, especially on a drag strip. We'll see. Like I said, I have a few months to decide :)

Nobody outdoes Garrett. My rx-7 had a garrett or two in it :) Think of it this way. You need to push 1000lbs up a hill with a tractor. You could use a tractor rated to push 1000lbs, but that would require its maximum output every time you used it. If you used a tractor that could push 1500lbs+, you wouldn't be pushing it to the extreme every time AND you'd have the ability to push more if you needed to. This is the same idea. For day to day stuff, I won't use that much boost (maybe 10-15psi) and once I get the tranny upgraded, I can run in excess of 20psi without any other mods. The injectors are plenty big for my little car :) Should be at full boost by ~3krpms, so the lag really won't be all that bad. 25 or so shot of nitrous will do away with that little bit of lag completely (stock stall is 2k, new is 2700).

I have a friend up here with a WRX. He stomps my car (stock) off the line, but after about 60~70, I catch and after about 80~90 I can pull on him. He's looking at getting the sti (I think that's what its called) package put on the car from subaru.

They are using the tec3 because the particular unit has been designed for the car. Retains ALL stock functionaility (traction control, airbags, turn signals, VVTi, EVERYTHING). The motec and haltec support a lot of the features in the IS, but not natively and have to be programmed by the tuner to handle it. This is quite a task! ! Such a task that all of the other shops are simply unplugging the check engine light(CEL) and letting the error codes run with hopes that nothing ever happens. I didn't really like that idea. If you don't see the CEL come on when... say... the the transmission or power steering fluid is low, or when the engine senses detonation, that could be a costly repair and since the codes were running and you didn't know, no warranty on that at all.

Presently, my car does great in the mud and rain, just not over the bumpys. The suspension is amazing soft stock. I think I'll have that remedied in about... 6 hours :) I don't plan on pushing her through the muddy backroads anytime soon. I guess I could raise her up to a 6" clearance like you have and then we could talk about it :)

PreviousNext

Return to Automotive & Accessory