Car Audiophiles read up!

Living life a 1/4 mile at a time
DarkStorm

Car Audiophiles read up!

Postby DarkStorm on Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:19 pm

Ok guys, along with the turbo around xmas (btw I called SRT in MD to set up the 8psi rig... although I may have to switch to the Toyomoto as they seem to have a better product for another $500), I'm puttin in the new stereo next week.

Currently I have a Rockford 800.2 and a Rockford 800.4 with 2 jl 12w6's runnin in a sealed 2cu.ft. box (2 chambers). Still have the stock door and rear deck speakers (front tweaters blown! ! ! !)...

Here's the items I ordered, but I can change the list as late as tomorrow afternoon:

JL 1000x1 monoblock amp
2 JL 12w6v2 subs in a sealed single-chambered fiberglass box where sparetirewell is ~ 4.0cu. ft. ( I may have to port this)
PPI PCX-480
Boston Pro 6.5s (not the 6.53's)
Boston RM 6x9's and of course the full assortment of monster cabling that is required.

Oh, here's the deck and DSP that I already have (not getting rid of these!)

Nakamichi MB-75 and a Pioneer DEQ-9200

If you guys have any suggestions on something that is comparably priced but better let me know. I did a lot of research on this stuff and listened to all of it. The quarts didn't win out because they were too tinny and hurt my ears, but they were at least as clean as the bostons. My last set of quarts were great, but had to defeat the high end by like 4 or 5 db. The Boston's had a very warm sound to them and seemed to be louder and just as clean at lower power.

Thanks!

Boonie

Postby Boonie on Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:59 pm

Everything there sounds good. Alot of people around here probably dont even know what nakamichi is. I would say your definitly going to have to port that box. It is to big for even the recommended ported airspace. (3.5 being the highest recomended for both subs) What you need to do is port it threw to the car threw your rear deck. Otherwise a ported box that leads to just your trunk, sounds like ass. Have them run ports up to your rear deck lid in between your 6x9's, or if you have a fold down armrest, put it there. I did one like that on a 97 Grand Prix and it sounded awesome. The only thing I would do is trade out those Boston's for some MB Quart. Boston's are good, but nothing beats MB Quart.

http://www.mbquart.com/Mobile_detail.asp?model=QSD+216

http://www.mbquart.com/Mobile_detail.asp?model=DTC+169
Last edited by Boonie on Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:10 pm

I really like the quarts, but I just can't stand the tinniness of them. They really hurt my ears, especially under high volumes. I will agree though, nothing beats a quart for clarity, but I would like to keep my eardrums intact :)

Boonie

Postby Boonie on Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:14 pm

Dark hit me up on aim. Nitrocivic69 Im on right now so hit me up!!!

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:50 pm

Dark you won't have to port that. I have 6 JL-12W-6's. Each one is in a sealed enclosure of .98 feet, and you can ask anyone that's sat in my ride that it does just fine. Great choice of amps. I've heard nothing but good things about the JL Amps.

What are you going to push the components with? How much are the Boston's price-wise? I'm not a big fan of 6x9's at all. Any chance you could just put 6.5's in there with sealed bracket? If the Boston's are anywhere in the 400-500 range I'd highly recommend teh Foacl Polykevlar line. I have smoked soooo many pairs of MB Quarts and they sound "tinny" to me anyway. I went with the Focals and they are just so damn rich and go deep for 6.5's.

You upgraded your Alternator yet? It's gonna take a beating with that Monoblobk, even if it's Class D.

Rope

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:30 pm

PPI PCX-480 will drive the components (see above). You have all of yours set up in individual sealed enclosures, where I plan to put all of mine into a single enclosure (I do have a mono amp, so 1 signal + 2 speakers = 1 chamber). The downside of the space is that if I decide to put in another 12, I will need a larger amp, or will need to enclose part of the box and get another amp. $$$ is quickly becoming a factor in this adventure (if you have 6 12w6's then you already know how easy it is to spend the green on this shit).

The 6x9's aren't my first choice, but without some cutting and welding (fun) to the rear deck, I'm pretty much stuck with them. They will be enclosed , so the sound quality shouldn't be too bad. They are designed to be fill speakers as opposed to stage speakers and are made with the same basic materials and components as the pros, so they should work nicely with the pro's up front. Guess I'll see.

I haven't upgraded my alternator, but I have 3 1 farad caps. If that doesn't handle it (2 amps + 3 caps should be okay... ?) then I can look into a better battery/alternator combo. Again, we'll see how this pans out first. I guess the only big issue that I have right now is cooling, but supposedly the shop has these "great" little fans that move something like 200-300 cfm for $29.95, so in theory that will keep them cool

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:23 pm

PPI PCX-480 will drive the components (see above). You have all of yours set up in individual sealed enclosures, where I plan to put all of mine into a single enclosure (I do have a mono amp, so 1 signal + 2 speakers = 1 chamber).

Yes, and no. I understand wanting to push them in mono, but if you can find teh space to put them in seperate chambers it can save you $$. If one of your sub's suspension gives out or burns a voice coil, you will most likely blow the 2nd in very short time. The blown speaker will still move, but not in cadence with the working sub, which causes backpressure against the only working sub, which will make it work harder, and will eventually stress the other sub to failure. I wasn't about to blow 6 subs if one took a dive, so I went that route. Just saying, if you can afford to put a 3/4" wall in the middle to seperate them it would be great insurance.

Caps are uselss if your battery/alternator can't supply current, that'a a fact. 3 Farads will gice you like .005 seconds of perfect reserve power. It;s really only meant to keep the bass notes tight under heavy load. Hell, I have 15 Farads in my ride and my headlights still go dim.. Alternator is Key.

Look up a company called Powermaster in Knoxville Tenn. I had them make all of mine when i was all into the USAC thing back in the day. They can even make you a chrome one. Hahah best ever was when I had my Typhoon some guy looked under the hood and goes "yep, I heard all about these trucks, they haul ass. (he points at my chrome alternator) Well it should be fast with a Supercharger that big"

BWAHAHAHA :-D

Can't wait to ride in your ride. I haven't ridden in any other turbo vehicle besides a Phoon and a Syclone. Sounds like yours is gonna rock!

Rope

sideshow
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby sideshow on Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:08 pm

you know what i haven't had in a while? big league chew.

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:28 pm

good stuff rope. I'll look into those guys. I don't have the turbo in yet, but its not too far off :). Only 320 to the wheels, but that should be more than enough in my little lex and the chrome will look nice under the hood too :)

As far as insurance goes, the warantees on this stuff go for 1 yr. from the man. If they blow (which if they are half as durable as the 2 I have now they won't), I'm sure I'll be looking to make it bigger and badder anyhow not too mention after I buy 1 set from a retailer, I can get the rest off of ebay and still compete :).

If one of them goes, I imagine you can tell by the way it sounds or by the way the subs no longer move in unison? Anyways, I'll talk to my installer about it and see what can be done. As boonie said, I already need to make the space smaller as > 3 cu. ft. is way too much for just 2 12s and although I have the 2 original 12w6s, I don't think they will work well with the new ones (since all 4 don't have the same power ratings, excursion, voice coild sizes etc). Again, I'll talk to my installer and see what his thoughts are on that (it will require at least 1 more amp). It probably won't be a big deal to split the chamber, but we'll see.

One of my other, and probably biggest concerns, is heat. Amps produce heat.. Big subs.. produce heat... Everything produces heat... and no matter how many or how big a fan(s) I put back there, blowing around hot air doesnt' cool things down much. I'm not sure if there is a good solution for that short of a compressor in the back, the but the ppi and jl should run a lot cooler than either of the rockfords.. which have already removed the fingerprints from my right hand twice.

Now, I have to ask.. Why would you ever put 6 12w6s in the exploder?? I dont' get it :p :)

-Phatz-
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -Phatz- on Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:06 am

LET ME ASK U THIS DO U EVEN GET ROPE? hehe

He is a freak thru and thru lol

And well no one else in his block needs a system so he is also doing a public service

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:16 am

maybe someday.. my car can be as cool as this one.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/earthshaker1

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:33 am

Now, I have to ask.. Why would you ever put 6 12w6s in the exploder?? I dont' get it

Simple my man:
When I had teh Typhoon I got so into street racing that I couldn't be weighed down by a stereo. How impulsive am I? I had a 5k system in my Typhoon. I go to a meet and another guy with a Ty rides in mine. I let him launch it. The FIRST words out of his mouth are "Whoa! You can really feel that stereo in the back weighing her down"...

I drove home and gutted the system, sold it for 1k.. :-?

The speed bug hit me for about 3 years with the Ty. Well, unfortunately I needed to grow up (a tad) so I sold my baby and bought the slowest man-made machine since a hand-cranked vibrator. I even bought the V6 cuz we all know the V8's are 302's which have more parts available than any car. I made the decision to be slow.. but then I realized if I was going to be slow and not race..weight was not an issue.. so BIG STEREO LAND HERE WE COME!

and that is how it all happened, and why I drive a grocery getter. It;s temp. man. I'm already eyeing a Typhoon again.. hehe

Rope

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:26 pm

sigh... okay, I made some changes to the rig... here they are:

I swapped the 6.5pros in the front for Z's instead (still bostons)
I swapped the 6x9's in the back for 6.5 pros (like were in the front before)
I swapped out the Nak deck and the Pioneer eq for an alpine(cda-7998) that does everything (its pretty hot) and a better alarm than what came with the car.

Also added some plexi in the back, dynamat for the whole car, couple neons in the trunk... uhm.. yah.. think that's about it. now they need my car for an extra week (god dammit)

Rope
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rope on Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:31 pm

pics pics!

Rope

DarkStorm

Postby DarkStorm on Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:58 pm

I dropped off the camera today so the installer could take some as he goes (apparently you need an installation book to compete), so maybe I'll have a few right now. He already dynamatted the trunk and put down the first couple layers of glass. The enclosure should be done this weekend, new head unit will be in early next week, amps are here, woot things are startin to get rollin.. pics are comin...

I dunno how its gonna be possible for me to hit something like 160db with my car, even if i were to put another $10g in it. Have to change out headliners, adjust/remove seats, port decks, holes in the doors.. crazy shit with fiberglass EVERYWHERE.. the winner in the USCA novice class last year hit 154.1. That's retarded... Of course, he had an suv.. but still... I dunno... Guess I'll find out at the first comp :)

Next

Return to Automotive & Accessory