dear god i know nothing about cars. halp!

Living life a 1/4 mile at a time
MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

dear god i know nothing about cars. halp!

Postby MaDSpartus on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Ok not entirely true, i understand about them: the features, systems, design aspects. My problem is i never follow car news or pay much attention to what people say about reliability etc.

Now i had some windfall and need to buy a car, looking at about $9-10k canadian (exchange rate is 1.01:1 so :P)
debating the mid size sedan vs compact. I'm 6'1" and dont exactly have a family to drive around, but I still like the idea of a mid size since its really not that huge on fuel economy (depending on engine). Was looking at the mazda 6, mostly because of some good local private sales I see, of course they may turn out to have some unadvertised damage, but its a starting point. i see 2006 +/- 1yr with 50-60,000 km on them (35,000 mi for the metric inclined).

someone throw me a bone here, im swimming in options and gotta start trimming it down somehow. what would you do in this situation?

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

hey man thanks for your avatar damnit

i just to stare really hard at you rtext because someone at work was talking to me and was over my shoulder. i was highlighting what i was reading
so they didn't think i was staring at your avatar like some weirdo hahah

also, although mazda's are good cars at first their reliability is questionable. i'm not sure about the latest ones but if you are talking 9k-10k range,
you'd be getting something a little older. my experience with mine was good but that's not what i hear from everyone else.

wait, mazda 6 sells for that price? sounds too low?

someone once told me the most important thing about a car is how you feel behind the wheel. not what it looks like. it doesn't matter if it looks
awesome and then you can't stand to be in it.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

yeah going to a dealer or two tomorrow, gotta actually sit in these things.

and sorry about the avatar.

for example:

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles ... Z232920928

says 9995 in title but 8995 at bottom of add, i called but voicemail, gotta try again.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Got a Pontiac Grand Prix today. So much for asian compact cars, got talked out of it from a few different sides. Plus I hear this Buick 3.8L is bulletproof.

[Creep]-Tyrant

3.8L huh?
Thats what my oldsmobile has in it.
Not a bad motor, got decent power and pretty good on the economy, I get 30 mpg highway (with a 4 door btw).

Only problem was the plastic intake dealy, mine was replaced and the replacement is aluminum so that problem solved.
But yea, should be a decent ride, like any car, treat it right it, change that damn oil and you should be riding for a while.

PS. - Mine just broke 100,000 miles 2 days ago, runs like brand new.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

i got mine at 46 kmi, hope i can double it before a serious problem happens. :)

[Creep]-Tyrant

Read some reviews about that motor, apparently it's got a pretty good reputation overall, at some point they stopped using the plastic (I suppose when they started having to replace them because of warping) and from there out they don't really have anything bad to say about them. They are known for going a good 250,000 miles easily and regularly, and many more if well maintained so I think you got yourself something decent.

Azriel

Re: dear god i know nothing about cars. halp!

Postby Azriel on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Should have gone German.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

3 months later...its in an accident. A taxi didnt stop and hit the guy behind me, who in turn hit me. was just a light rainy day so no reason for slipping.

the honda civic in between me and the taxi took 90% of the damage. Hell i got a scratched bumper and his front end is all messed up. Guess im really glad I ended up buying American.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

damn man that sucks. at least you didn't get hurt though.

awp-killer
Elite Member
Elite Member

A small amount of rain are when the roads are the slickest. It's enough to make it wet, but not enough to wash the oils off the road.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: dear god i know nothing about cars. halp!

Postby zel on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 am

Dang man, at least its all minimal damage. The part that cracks me up is the two american cars have little damage and the poor honda is busted up on BOTH ends :P

I'm sure it's just coincidence i mean all cars these days have their crumple zones and all that to absorb enegy but really, the american motor industry should use this for advertising and give you a new car for the trouble hehehe.

Glad to hear it was minor tho, hope everything's alright with ya.

[Creep]-Tyrant

If only you had been driving ...say...a 1972 Oldsmobile Regency 98, or Ford Galaxy...that poor Honda would be a sheet-metal pancake!

Return to Automotive & Accessory