star citizen - new game from chris roberts

Catch-All forum for every other PC / Flash / Web / Console game out there
HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

star citizen - new game from chris roberts

Postby HangOver on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:25 am

the guy that gave us wing commander and privateer/freelancer.

if you haven't been following or aren't aware of this, PAY ATTENTION!!!! :D

the game is incredibly ambitious and if he pulls it off (which i have no doubt he will) it will be amazing. it blends elements from both wing commander and privateer/freelancer into one persistent universe. check it out.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

he's trying to crowd-fund this game to avoid having to deal with greedy middle men. basically the guy is awesome and this game looks to be incredible. check out the website there is a LOT of info there. we NEED to get in on this and discover a new area and have it named wickednet!

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: star citizen - new game from chris roberts

Postby zel on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm down, WC is my favorite series of all time.

PCMILPH

it sounds awesome and i love wing commander and privateer may be one of the best games of all time. However hes only crowd sourcing the seed money to get capital investors to invest the rest of the sizable amount needed to fund the game. I hope he gets it done it will be awesome but there was an interesting article about it on the PA Report http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/chris-roberts-star-citizen-needs-your-money-to-get-more-money-and-promises- But hes half way there with a month to go and not a lot of PR so far that I've seen so I think it will probably happen

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

sounds pretty good. i likes me some freelancer. I've replayed it this year... hah

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

PCMILPH wrote:it sounds awesome and i love wing commander and privateer may be one of the best games of all time. However hes only crowd sourcing the seed money to get capital investors to invest the rest of the sizable amount needed to fund the game. I hope he gets it done it will be awesome but there was an interesting article about it on the PA Report http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/chris-roberts-star-citizen-needs-your-money-to-get-more-money-and-promises- But hes half way there with a month to go and not a lot of PR so far that I've seen so I think it will probably happen

that article mirrors a lot of my thoughts on the issue but still, i'm optimistic :)

shit i'd be happy if he dropped the whole MMO thing and just remade wing commander! lol

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:34 am

i understand the skepticism but it's really not all as far fetched as ben makes it out to be. I like ben's work, i usually agree with him, but sometimes i feel like he wrote up a piece half-cocked. Ben is basically calling him a liar and saying he wants to see more done before we offer up our cash and then tries to cop out by saying "Don’t mistake my skepticism for a lack of enthusiasm, as I want to play the game Roberts is describing." whatever ben, no you don't.

also you might want to read this article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10 ... real-life/

It has more solid info that the PAR article.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

just passed $4.2 million raised. star citizen is now the #1 crowd-funded to date.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

wow.

$5,161,919 as of right now. this thing is rollin'.

almost 75,000 backers averaging ~$70/person. pretty damn incredible.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 am

The final number when crowdfunding officially finished is now at: 6,238,563

however you can STILL pledge and the total including outside the funding window stands at 6,307,950.

According to the PA article they estimated a total of 12-14 M to make the game and the other bit was going to come from investors and such but being half-way there i don't see why it wouldn't happen.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

zel wrote:The final number when crowdfunding officially finished is now at: 6,238,563

however you can STILL pledge and the total including outside the funding window stands at 6,307,950.

According to the PA article they estimated a total of 12-14 M to make the game and the other bit was going to come from investors and such but being half-way there i don't see why it wouldn't happen.

i remember reading him saying something about needing to raise 2-4 mil from crowd funding to show his investors that there was definite interest in this game. then the investors would pony up the additional funds to give them the full amount they figured was needed to create something as ambitious as this game is. i'd say they proved that quite convincingly!

over 90,000 people have donated. that's pretty damn incredible. i paid my $125 for the Lancer package. He also announced that early backers will receive lifetime insurance on their ships meaning you will never really "lose" that ship. i'm not sure how i feel about that but it's a nice gesture.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Ya i went with the 35 dollar figure, but the nice thing is you can actually increment your donation to add stuff to your package when you log into the page.

Make sure you log in http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/ and check your account.
If you donated on their backup site they have to manually input those packages. Once you log in and hit Your Account you can hit the Your Pledges button to make sure they got the right info and also upgrade your pledge if you feel like it. I couldn't plop down the amount i wanted to but when i get the chance i might add ships or upgrade to a larger package later.

Ya the PAR article did go over the fact that the 2M goal was simply to bait investors and this is where he want off on a rant why it's a horrible idea and he wants to see "more" done before backing him and that the 12-14 M likely needed to finish this game wasn't going to happen. On the actual website roberts goes over the fact that he already has the investors agreed to complete funding once hitting the 2M mark which is why they set up stretch goals for going over the 2M mark. They've actually run out of goals from what I see on the site, 6M was the last goal and they're well over it so at this point i would think they'll pocket the rest as profit lol.

matter of fact i was just looking at the detailed stretch goals and found this little gem: Tablet companion Application to check on your inventory, commission or find missions and get the galactic news feed.

lol damn man, sick. Detailed goals here: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/c ... tch-goals/ (minus the recent goals, which are listed in the news feed of the main page).

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

yeah that bit about the tablets is cool as hell. also i read today that the game will allow for "private" servers that we can set up for just us to play on like we did with freelancer a few years ago. custom ships and shit with the mod tools. this game just looks better and better every day, i REALLY hope they pull it off.

Grace

Postby Grace on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Looks real bad ass, not even a ball park date on release?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:17 pm

from the stretch goals:
Star Citizens will get to play in the multiplayer dogfighting Alpha (12 months)
Star Citizens will receive access to the Squadron 42 campaign (18 months)
Star Citizens will receive access to the Star Citizen universe for online persistent play (30 months)
Privateer-like gameplay
Multiple Star Systems to Explore – 40 star systems

The number of star systems is higher though I think because they reached higher stretch goals but the time frame should be relevant...

Ya, the private server and modding support made me happy too. They actually put up modding support docs as an add-on (+25 bucks i think it costs) to your donation so i'm certain they'll make it mod-able. After all the only thing they really need to do to make it mod-able is not try to lock it down like EA does with BF3. My only real concern with this is "how quickly can I get it into my hands?" The rest of it i'm not actually concerned about, i'm certain they'll pull off the vast majority of what they promise. TBH a lot of the really cool stuff like detailed physics isn't even the hard part these days.

After messing around with the unity engine myself and the physics built into it, setting rigid bodies and applying force or thrust and getting even half-assed physics was way too easy so the idea of very knowledgeable group getting cool stuff done like each ship engine actually "working" when it comes to the physics model just does not seem like a stretch of the imagination. I know they're using another engine, i forget which, but if a free jack-of-all-trades engine can do that then I just don't see why these guys can't pull off 90% of what they're talking about. Some of the fluff like the tablet thing may not happen by launch or full customization and all that might be trimmed back a bit to get it out the door but that isn't really what i want the most. What I really want is a great space sim with multiplayer and some kind of persistence so that what I do actually matters. Also running around in a big ship with several positions to fight as a crew, awesome.

BTW there is a game that does this now, just came out on steam a bit ago Guns of Icarus Online. It runs on the Unity engine and basically you have a crew of 4 manning a ship of your choice and you fight other crews on customizable ships. I haven't bought it yet but i'm pretty certain come next pay-check I am going to pick it up. Ya have to run around and fix systems as they get damage and man turrets to shoot and the captain has to pilot the ship, looks awesome.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 am

oh, i missed this video showing they've already done the physics bit with the thrusters:
http://vimeo.com/51335148

Next

Return to Every Other Game