well?

Postby -PC-Taishar on Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 am

who bought it? What's it like?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: well?

Postby zel on Thu May 17, 2012 9:10 am

If we're talking about D3, It's awesome, despite the obvious flaws during the launch and the glaring faults it exposes in the online only model for a game like this...

Anyhow, don't bother buying it if the idea of spending 60 bucks and then not being able to play randomly throughout the day bothers you a lot, they haven't kicked out all the bugs yet. maybe in another few days they'll have it ready for the masses. apparently they didn't properly anticipate the onslaught and were caught with their pants down. Also the achievements randomly get lost, so if that kind of thing bothers you well, it's still happening. Supposedly getting fixed in the current server update, of which it is currently still down, sigh :(

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Thu May 17, 2012 10:58 am

Of course we are talking about d3! Idon't understand how they can "not anticipate" the kind of demand they are receiving. I mean it's only been the most anticipated game of the decade. I wasnt aware that it was online only.
How is the real money system working? I'm very curious to see how that economy pans out. I won't be home for another week, and won't have time to play for another couple weeks after that. I hope all the bugs are worked out by then. Kinda makes buying The Old Republic kind of meaningless. Maybe I'll spin that up for a bit before trying d3.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Real money AH isn't up yet, it was supposed to come up shortly after launch (like a week) but has been moved back because of the launch issues. I agree, how could they not anticipate the numbers? i mean damn... We're talking about blizzard, the people who run WoW and they couldn't handle the D3 launch?

It is also 100% online, you must have a connection. Even if you play single player you're actually playing on their servers so latency is still an issue. The upside is your friends can join you at any point, no need to hop out of your single player game and into a multi and your characters are permanent, no single vs. multiplayer characters.

The in-game-gold AH system is up tho and you get 10 slots to put up 48hour auctions that you can not cancel, you get 5 minutes to cancel it when you first put it up but once it goes live, you have to wait till it's bought or times-out. So far the AH has had some good deals if you watch it carefully. occasionally people put up some badass deals on good equipment.

So far they have been very aggressively patching the bugs. Which is good and bad, because they'll take it down for 3 hours to patch an issue that isn't a game-stopper. It's very annoying but if they continue at this rate i would imagine in 3 weeks it should be stable. as a for-instance, battlenet just went down, all of battlenet mind you, even the website.....

honestly if you want to play anything else, do it before D3 because its as awesome as the first one when it came out. Once you get into it i don't think you'll want to play anything else. I wasn't a big fan of D2, i never even finished the second one but i played the hell out of the first one.

well, its back up now, time to play.. :P

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri May 18, 2012 1:57 am

Forgot to add: if you don't mind the occasional disconnect and random server downtimes, it's totally worth it :P I guess just as long as you accept that fact, you'll love it :D

hell, i've been stuck on this game for like 3 days now.

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Fri May 18, 2012 5:42 am

How can you tell what a good deal is? The economy is so young how do you know what to list stuff at? Without knowing stats or anything like that I can't speak in detail but I have to expect nobody knows how much 'x' points of 'x' stat at lvl 13 is worth. And since it's only been out three days I'm sure there isn't a really good handle on how fast one can earn gold.

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -]corrupt[- Lexon on Fri May 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Fuckit, I trust you guys, I bought it.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri May 18, 2012 11:16 pm

I judge a 'good deal' pretty much the same way I judge all other good deals. "How long does it take me to earn X amount of cash to buy it, and will it last me long enough to justify the price."

Fact is at this point I can earn 10k gold in maybe 15 or 20 minutes if we're moving at a good clip and avoid death. Time spent at camp optimizing yourself also needs to keep to a minimum because you're robbing yourself of time that you could be earning cash and leveling up. The main thing to bear in mind is that even 1 or 2 deaths doesn't rob you of as much time as spending a half hour at camp organizing and tinkering so we try and keep things moving along. If I find a piece that is a huge upgrade for me i know it'll last upwards of 10 hours of game-time so i consider it a good deal. If it's only a 10% or 20% better item for like 15 grand then i consider it a bad deal and move on but if it's around 2 grand then i'd do it because I can net 2 grand in no time. At my current level it's not uncommon for a single mob to drop 120 gold and occasionally a single mob might drop 300 and those are just the regular mobs. some of the specials drop more. it's really kind of random, also i do have some gold drop increase items so that helps too.

You're absolutely right tho, the auction house is very young and that is why you may see a few items that might look AWESOME but are up for a 68k buyout for a lvl 30 something item, which is stupid cause no matter what you can't justify that cost. I don't care how good it is, 68k is a stupid price to pay at level 30 for something you're going to outlevel and replace way before you've squeezed 68k out of it, any other weapon for about 5k would have netted you just as much cash but then again some people are going for those all important "first!" bragging rights and so might be willing to pay that kind of gold for an edge to help them.

As for what to sell it for, I think to myself "what would i buy it at?" and then I take off like 20%. If it dropped for you, you should know how much you're earning per hour more or less and just price it accordingly. If you're only pulling in 10k an hour don't sell it for 10k, maybe 600g. Something to keep in mind is that there is going to be no shortage of items. Every mob drops items for every player that only they see so if there are 4 people in a game and you kill the skeleton king and he drops 2 rare items, everyone will get 2 rare items, suddenly 8 new items are created. Same goes for random mobs. 1 dead mob might drop 4 blue items, 1 for each person that only they see and only they can pick up first (once in your inventory, if you drop it on the floor everyone can see it). There will be no lack of items so while selling it for something as low as 3x vendor price might seem like you're giving it away the important thing it to remember that you're going to be earning tons of items and you need to keep them flowing. you don't want to clog up your AH in case you get a really bad-ass drop you know will sell very quickly. Also as you're putting it up for sale on the AH, it'll show you the vendor price, so you have an idea of it's worth. you obviously wouldn't auction it LOWER than vendor price.

The first run through though we explored everything and took time with the story because it really is a good story and the cut scenes are superb. Occasionally the insanely high fidelity of them are too good for the compression of the video and you might notice the block artifacts during an abrupt cut but I only notice those from when I used to be all meticulous about encoding video, they pop out at me cause I'm looking for it so i'm sure most people don't notice or even care about it, it does kind of irk me but given that it's already a 7 gig download I don't really blame them.

anyhow, my main is 42 right now and running through the game on nightmare mode (2nd playthrough). next comes hell and then inferno modes.

Also, they seem to have a very good handle on the bugs and while they are still doing the occasional restart I think in the coming weeks it will be as bug free as it should have been at launch. I think the worst parts are behind us. None-the-less the abysmal launch shows the weakness of this kind of system. Imagine if the network got hacked PSN style and it was down for months? *shudder* it is not outside the realm of impossibility.

I wouldn't worry about the AH except to try and upgrade a piece that you're sick an tired hasn't dropped a newer version of yet. Then just hop on and find something cheap to replace it with. I mean if you're earning 30k an hour and someone puts up a badass weapon close to your level for 1k, buy it quick! Just don't drop a ton on the AH at the lower levels and don't even bother doing it before like lvl 15 unless you have cash to burn and even then its better to save it and burn it on upgrading your smith or jewel crafting (you can't do JC untill late in act 2 though). Also since the first run through of the game all bosses drop several "rare" items each (they are yellow text) there really isn't a point in hitting the AH to buy something unless it is grossly under level. Once you beat it the first time the bosses will no longer drop 'rare' items. So enjoy that first run through.

anyhow once you're ready to dig in let me know. Honestly so far its been an excellent game and well worth the wait.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri May 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Also, if anyone wants to add me to their battlenet my ID is zel#1806

If you forget yours, Just bring up your profile (click on your character once you log in). It should be listed under Player Stats.

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Fri May 18, 2012 11:57 pm

I've been caught up in the economy I haven't even asked about the classes. What did you pick? How is lvling done? Is it similar to DII for skills? How unique will characters be skill wise. I'm assuming there are different trees and what not. But is there enough diversity to create unique characters of the same class? IE healer paladins in WoW versus tank paladins.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sat May 19, 2012 4:52 am

I picked a Monk as my main and built him as Support DPS.

Leveling is just as you might imagine. Start a toon, level 1, gain xp as you kill monsters and the main quest line rewards you with lots of xp and any side quests you pick up reward you decent with money and xp and sometimes good loot. However in multi player you all share xp equally, even if you're on the complete other side of the map and someone kills a mob way over there, everyone in that game gets xp for it. They could do a whole side quest by themselves and you will get that XP. There are measures in place to prevent power leveling of course but if you're all the same level, you all get the same XP. The only difference: there are 2 stats that boost XP gain per monster kill. One is a percent boost to XP gained per monster kill and one is a flat # xp gain per monster kill so if you have these stats on your equipment and you get the killing blow on a monster, you get whatever that bonus is and while everyone gets the base XP only you get the bonus xp for your kills. So getting the killing blows can make you level faster. You also can rack up multi-kill single blow bonuses and rapid succession kill xp bonuses for your killing blows on top of that. For instance if you pop an AOE skill and it gets the killing blow on 10 mobs you'll get a bonus or if a horde of mobs comes and you slaughter 50 without a lull in getting a hit on a mob you get a bonus too. Rhys at one point was like 4 tenths of a whole level ahead of me cause his witch doctor has some crazy ass DPS. I had to stay logged in last night to catch up when he went to sleep, its his fault i was late to work friday morning :P

Basically you have 5 classes. Each class has 6 active skills slots mapped to left click, right click, 1,2,3,4 and potion is bound to Q. Each Class has 6 Classes of skills. By default you may only map 1 class of skill to its corresponding button ie. Primary on left click, Secondary on right click, 1,2,3,4 have a different name for each character class but you can go into the game options and set it to allow you to bind skills to anything however left-click does have some restrictions on some classes. A class of skills will grey out if it is unavailable to bind to left click when you try to do it. Each skill-class has several skills, some as few as 3 and some as many as 5, depending on class. Each individual skill has 5 'runes' that modify the behavior of that skill and each skill starts with zero runes available to pick from. You also have 3 Passive skill slots and each class has 15 passive skills to choose from (except monk has 14 and barbarian has 16).

So that is the skill layout. Now here's the fun part. You are free to 'respec' as often as you want for free. there is a very short cooldown for skills after you change them (and only on the individual skill that was changed), about 20 seconds, but other than that little bump to prevent people from switching things all the time during a boss fight, you can switch it up much as you want.

Now for the un-fun part, you don't get all your skills right away, you don't even get all your skill slots right away. You start with just a single primary skill and each level unlocks either a new skill, skill slot, rune, passive skill, passive skill slot, or any combination of those each level. I don't recall what levels the active skill slots unlock at but i do recall the passive skill slots unlock at 10, 20, and 30. Level cap is 60.

So with this in mind you can imagine there are a crap-ton of builds you could possibly go for. I know the monk very well by now. You could easily build him to be a complete glass-cannon and use evasion (dodge) and 1 protection skill to get you out of trouble. Or you could build him as a retribution tank (he literally has a retribution "mantra" works like the pally ret aura) and a bunch of "thorn" type armor and his armor passive which adds 100% of dexterity to your armor stat and avoid all evasion skills so that you get hit much as possible and grab the active skill that pulls enemies to you in a big circle. Or you could be a light DPS support like me, where I provide a big life regen buff to people within 40-some odd yards + 1 shot AOE heals or protection skills and decent dps, not OMGWTFBBQ dps but you know, you still have dps to help out with. Ask Rhys about the witch doctor, that's his main. I haven't done much of the other ones yet but i'm about to start an alt.

Also another note. When you first create a character you have the option to make him a "hardcore" character which mean that if you die, the character dies and you lose everything they had on them. Their "stash" (the stash is a chest all your characters can access) is separate of normal character's stash. As characters also share money so if you have 100k on your main you will have 100k gold on all characters except your hardcore characters have their own stash. I've already made 1 hardcore Monk after beating d3 with my main monk that way I know how to stay out of trouble and so far I have my hardcore monk up to 15 without a death and beat the skeleton king and the butcher and saw 2 other guys die. It actually makes you kinda nervous when you go into a boss fight in hardcore mode, you have a lot to lose.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sat May 19, 2012 5:04 am

Also, if you feel like wasting some time here is the info page where you can look at each class, all of their skills and the skill progression chart that shows everything that unlocks at a given level: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/

Also when you start a game it is basically a private multiplayer game that only friends can join. you can then open it to the public if you want people to join you which is IMO the best way to level up but the WORST way to actually enjoy the story since they can skip cut-scenes and dialog for you.

IMHO, As with any game, D3 is best enjoyed with friends.

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Sat May 19, 2012 8:05 am

I already tried to go to that site but it's blocked here. Bleh. The run down you gave on the monk is more what I was looking for, and they don't really break it down like that at the review sites. I did read about some of the skill somewhere and from what I read, I was thinking of building a monk just like yours kind of a support tanky dps. I usually don't accel at being pure DPS, I was a paladin in DII. The witch doctor did not seem to be a whole lot of fun to me, I wasn't much of a fan of the necro in DII, though I know that was the most powerful character. I liked the druid alot though he was weak, and I was also a big fan of the assasin. I may build a Demon Hunter this time around. It seems the Wizards always get screwed. When you play at the harder levels, they have immunities. You know how hard it is to kill an ice immune creature on nightmare when you are an ice mage?!! I noticed the Monk had a taunt ability, does the barb have something similar? Did they refine the roles to be more defined such tank, dps, support...more like WoW? Or do the mobs just randomly attack whoever as with the other two?

I hope you or Rhys are ready to start a toon from scratch with me when I get on. You are the one that said it's best with friends after all.

What's the advantage of HC mode. Is the loot better? Is the loot from HC mingled with the regular loot as far as the AH goes? Or is there a separate HC AH? HC appeals to me, but like you said, it's kinda scary I would be so pissed to die at lvl 40 or something. That's a LOT of wasted time. If the stashes are separate you have no way to get gear from your HC champ to your other champs?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sat May 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Hell of course i'm down to roll a new toon once you're back :P shit i think it'll take a while to wring everything out of this game with 60 levels and 5 classes :P

The wizards don't really get screwed in D3 because of the skill system. If you walk into an ice immune area it takes about 30 seconds or so to swap skills over to another element so its no big deal.

Also you have to be careful with the date of the review. many sites and even a few early wiki pages in an effort to 1 up everyone wrote up big, detailed reviews and such as soon as the beta hit and the skills and the entire skill system itself has changed since then. I actually ran into a wiki the other night looking for info that still had info on the talent trees they had which are completely gone now. I was in on the beta early and got to see it, i'm glad they changed it because it really made setting up your character cumbersome and i felt like i spent more time tweaking than playing so the new system is awesome.

So with that in mind, monks don't have a taunt anymore, neither do barbarians AFAIK. I ran down the skill list on the official page and none of them were listed as a taunt. Taunts aren't necessarily needed TBH except maybe in a boss fights and those fights everyone needs to have some kind of defensive ability and be ready to hit Q. Also, pots have a cooldown, 30 seconds so bear that in mind. What monks do offer is protection to the group. Mantra of healing is obviously good but Mantra of evasion raises dodge 15% and another 15% for the first 3 seconds after you cast it so in a pinch you can refresh it to gain 30% dodge to you and party members within range. There is a rune for evasion that will also shield 80% damage on allies for 3 seconds if they drop under 25% life (90 sec cooldown on the effect). A lot of the protection type stuff is automatic like that which is nice because you can focus on assisting with damage and such. All mantras have a boosted effect for the first 3 seconds after casting it and it has no cooldown (but uses spirit points) so in a pinch you can refresh it to help you get through a tough spot. Mantra of healing has a rune that will shield against all damage for 2 seconds after casting the mantra (you can recast over and over if you have the spirit). Monks are awesome and they have two primary runes that give them teleportation to targeted enemies so the blaze all around the battle.

Mobs tend to run wild and whoever runs in first will get aggro but the fights are very fast paced and hectic. Very often you wont realize the fight is over and you may be clicking like mad trying to find a new target amid the witch doctors bat and dogs and their big, ugly, tank looking thing.... many times as ranged you just spam the hell out of your primary not realizing the mobs are all dead.

dunno if i covered all your questions but i gotta jet, lemme know if i missed something.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sat May 19, 2012 1:38 pm

ohh yea, HC, i'm only like 15 levels into HC but so far the loot has been better. Really HC is more of a choice to give the game more tensions IMO, the AHs seem to be seperate, the public games and stashes are definitely seperate (no non-hcs with hcs in the same game).

HC really does give you more of a rush when you beat a boss or tough situation and having seen some people go down as i tried to save them did make me feel bad that I couldn't save them but at the same time it was their own fault for not pulling out faster :P if i had screwed up and they died i would actually feel bad but as such when someone jumps into the boiling water, their bad......

Another thing to keep in mind in a public HC game is that when someone joins the mobs get more difficult acoording to their level so if you're like 14 and a lvl 20 join in, don't go anywhere without them because if you run into some elite mobs they will be lv20 elite mobs and wipe the floor with you. which is how 1 guy died in a game i was in. i immediately TP'd and left that game to find a game with closer levels.

Next

Return to Every Other Game