Trying something new

Catch-All forum for every other PC / Flash / Web / Console game out there
-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Trying something new

Postby -PC-Taishar on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm in the market for a new game. I just picked up EyE on steam. Haven't tried it yet...still dl'ing. I'm kind of itching for some co op gameplay in something anyone have any suggestions?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Trying something new

Postby zel on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Portal 2
If you like puzzles, portal 2 co-op is fun as hell and has a lot of actual laugh out loud moments in it tho it's a lot more fun with voice chat and someone you know. Rhys and I played the crap out of it. I did a few randoms with ppl but it's just not the same (few co-op games are the same with random ppl).

Left 4 Dead 1&2
Dunno if you've already done the whole L4D thing but that's been one of my favorite co-op games of all time. Mainly for it's replay value and the good amount of production put into the voice acting and it's the only game i've played that uses a film grain shader to make it feel like a movie, which i enjoy. Especially when you get some talent together and play on expert.

Dungeon Siege 3
DS3 is a lot of fun single player but seems like it would be pretty fun in co-op if you can get past the henchman co-op system. Only the host saves the progress, there are 4 characters to choose. Once the host picks his it becomes his permanent character for that savegame. Everyone else can just hop in and out into one of the other 3 characters at-will. The host can also play the savegame single player. It's much more like diablo than the previous dungeon sieges

Magicka
Magicka was hilarious in co-op. All the rules on how the spells work just provide so much mayhem. Rhys and I finished that one up pretty fast but damn it was a good game and we had to deal with the early bugs that killed the game often and made us lose a few weapons. They've since made it much much more stable and hence even more fun to play online.

Borderlands
This game was also a blast to play in co-op, once again best if played with a friend and not random people. Rhys and I played this and made sure to keep pace with each others levels because it gets real boring real quick when 1 person is OP and the other one is just along for the ride. While it has a random weapon generator ala Diablo style, it VERY often produces crappy combinations that are worthless but you do occasionally find good stuff. The voice overs are well done too and the story keep you going but the ending fell a little flat for me. It was still a great run tho.

Trine
Trine is not multiplayer online, only on the same console/PC. On the PC you can use different controllers but honestly mouse and keyboard are sooooooo good for this game, mainly for the wizard and the thief, doesn't really help the warrior much. Up to 3 players but since you share a camera you all have to work together to stay in view. I played this with my son and my nephew on the PS3 on the big screen and it was a good time. lots of laughs and yelling and "OHH NOES!". I played through the single player on the PC and it felt much more fluid than on PS3. Graphically the game is beautiful, mainly due to excellent design of the environment but the narrative is well written and spoken and really drew me in. The dev is rumored to be working on something new, trine-like but with a more properly done online capable co-op (Trine's co-op works fine but it did feel like an addition and not a design feature from conception).

H.A.W.X.
A Tom Clancy series, has co-op built in. it's a very consoley-feeling flight sim. I tried playing it with a Saitek X45 Joystick/Throttle combo but it's forced external view during the ridiculous power-slide-airplane-tokyo-drift-damn-I-look-cool mode you need to use to evade missiles/opponents does not lend itself to full-size joystick use because there is no finesse or moderation, its just constant slamming the stick back and forth between extremes in this mode to get behind the bad guy and lock on. I could really have done without that mechanic but I guess its just not cool if you can't see your airplane going all sideways. Anyhow, despite its flaws it was a very Ace Combat game, good story, fun to pick your fave plane and dominate the sky with ridiculous amounts of missiles that somehow take several seconds to reload midflight even tho your plane supposed has like 60 regular missiles and like 40 specials. I guess the oompa-loompas take a lil while in the wonka-vator to reach your plane and put 2 more back on your wings. It has online vs. modes and since the single player was all mission based it was pretty easy for them to just run a campaign mission map in the multi-player server so thats what you can do with this. I haven't tried the co-op but it appears to be single player maps on a server. I played deathmatch and it was kinda fun, well as fun as shooting a bunch of guided missiles at someone frantically trying to get away from you can be.... after a while you realize you're mainly just running like mad or shooting a missile and praying the other guy sucks at zigging or zagging. Either way it seems like it would be pretty fun to rule the skies with real teammates on the very well made missions, I just never found anyone wanting to do this. Also H.A.W.X. 2 is one of very few games to make use of the DX implementation of tessalation. I mean ATI did tesselation (called it tru-form) a long time ago but it never took-off. I think they updated HAWX1 to support it too but i'm still on 2x 4870s dx10.1 so i can't run dx11 anyhow :(.

A few other ones I have but haven't played through are:
Tomb Raider: Guardian of Light - diablo like top-down co-op, reportedly a fun co-op.
Sanctum: First person tower defense, co-op mode. I have read that if you like tower defense and co-op, this one is very fun.

A good one to mention is Altitude. It's not co-op, just an online game with many different modes but if you're craving some quick easy to hop into action and if you've ever played SubSpace back in the day and liked it (called Continuum now) then this is a game for you. Instead of being 2d top-down space themed, its 2d side-scrolling airplane themed but same type of gameplay more or less. Very fun, especially air ball (soccer/hockey kinda, with airplanes). you unlock planes and powerups and can customize your planes a bit.

OK so thats my short list of co-op games. :)

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:35 pm

So if i get DSIII will anyone play with me?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm down, i stopped playing through the single player, waiting on rhys to pick it up :P lol but i'll join up with ya and when rhys gets it we can 3 man it.

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm

word...i just started a game of LoL. How do you wanna hook up? Via steam?

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Ya steam, I'm always "on" but not always there so if you see me in a game just hit me up.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:22 pm

I am fucking stuck in Newark with just my laptop and a 1000-3000ms ping, so gaming is out for me until the VZ strike is over.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:17 am

rhys start helping them cut VZ lines. that will end the strike sooner.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am

Ya, or like, dont answer calls and act like you don't know whats up and you need the real workers in there :P

Return to Every Other Game