Portal 2

Catch-All forum for every other PC / Flash / Web / Console game out there
buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Portal 2

Postby buzz on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Did anyone get it? It got some pretty decent reviews .. I want to get it, i'm just being cheap and don't want to spend the $50

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Portal 2

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:04 am

just play through the original again.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 am

it will be just as good (and short) when it's on sale for $20 during the inevitable steam holiday sale.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Its much longer, and epic, than the original. I've already completed the single player and there is still the multi-player campaign to play through, yes the 2 player multi-player is an actual co-op campaign completely separate from the single player. There are more elements such as light bridges/walls, speed gel, bounce gel, portal gel, laser bouncing blocks, push/pull force tunnel. The story has been expanded by about 100 fold. The wise-cracks are abundant. The levels are very well designed, very detailed and all textures are done right.

The story actually made me feel sorry for GLaDOS, and Cave Johnson. I like connecting with a story.

I clocked 8.4 hours to finish the single player campaign. I understand the co-op is about 5 hours long.

I pre-ordered it for 45 bucks and feel like i already got my money's worth just cause the experience was damn great. There are some levels I want to replay too and take some screen caps for my profile and get a few of the achievements that I missed.

I feel that this game was worth the story. A movie ticket will run you 10 bucks, typical movies are about 1.5 hours but lets just say 2 hours. so 50 bucks = 10 hours worth of movies. If the co-op takes me 4 hours i'll be at 12.4 hours, so the game delivers on par or better experience than a trip to the movies.

I guess it really depends on if you like this kind of game.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 pm

i read some reviews with people saying they beat it in 4 hours. i'm hoping they were just trolling.

i trust your opinion :) but i just don't have much time to devote to games these days. i've got a backlog of games lining up. it's actually beneficial to me because by the time i get around to playing a game it's usually in the bargain bin :)

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:28 pm

The multi or the single? you COULD beat the single player in 4 hours i suppose if you knew exactly what to do, where to go, and skipped through all dialogue as fast as possible but I choose to listen to all dialogue and search for anything hidden and read the funny crap they put up everywhere. Found the missing experiment too (achievement). I call bullshit on anyone who says they beat it in 4 hours of actual play time including any restarts without any walk-through available, previous play, someone who finished available to ask.

The multi i've heard can be done in 4 hours but i've read it was 5 hours worth on an intial run through. I have not finished it although me and rhys are up to 1.6 hours on it and I don't recall how many levels we did. We did fool around with the pretty cool emotes and the over fun aspect of it.

I would suspect people claiming ZOMG 4 hours is either trying to stretch their e-peen or just trolling. Every level is very clever and after the first few they are all very challenging. There is one where you use a force tunnel almost exclusively and that was pretty harrowing, there was almost no floor to speak of.

I absolutely identify with the backlog of games. I was just in highly anticipating Portal 2 so I pushed it up on my to-do list. I have many i want to do and quite a few i have purchased just sitting there waiting to be beat. Hell I have bio shock 2 i bought on discount, got it for 15 bucks woo! I also have call of juarez, far cry 2, darksiders, and more waiting to be finished, i only recently finished darwinia :(

metro 2033 for 9 bucks, i think ill get it

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:44 pm

i've actually played metro 2033 and i loved it. very cool game. i will definitely play it again some day.

captmorgan

Postby captmorgan on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Zel, Portal 2 is just problem solving puzzles, some people find them more difficult, some find them fairly easy. I did the first portal in an hour and a half without skipping anything or using a walk-through. The puzzles were pathetically easy, as to be honest they have to be for an AAA game hoping to reach a wide audience. I saw an interview with a Valve employee who said portal 2 SP would take roughly 3x longer to complete then portal 1, and roughly the same for the co-op. $45 or $50 for what according to Valve themselves for me would be roughly 9 hours of play-time with zero replay value? Does one get a kiss with that? Or at least a reach-around? Lets be brutally honest, the average gamer is overwhelmed with the task of updating drivers for their machine even though it's stupidly easy to do anymore, (thus why consoles are so popular) and these mouth-breathers are Valves target audience. How hard do you think they would make the game to make a fun experience for their target audience?

Sure, some of the people who said they completed it in 4 hours were trolling, but it seems you are insinuating that they would have to be trolling or used a walk-through or skipped stuff because if it took you 7 hours to complete it, nobody could get it done faster without using those tactics. There is no emote to properly display how hard I am rolling my eyes right now.

glitch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glitch on Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:10 pm

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sun May 01, 2011 5:15 pm

I actually played through it, hence i call bullshit on a claim of 4 hours on a first run. I'm actually very good at puzzle games and whipped through it pretty quick. I added maybe 1.5 hours worth of gawking and exploring on my first run. After beating it i spent perhaps another 2 hours worth of getting all the achievements. Then i went back through it to take a few screen caps for my steam profile.

And where do you get your stats on average gamers being overwhelmed at updating drivers? Sounds like a bullshit stat to me. Ya, must be real hard to go click "next" a few times, especially since you don't even NEED to have up-to-date drivers to be able to run everything. Not that it matters, I wasn't doing a pc vs. consoles rant here. Hell steam has an option to automatically install them for you, if you're so overwhelmed by the immense technicality of it.

Eitherway, the length of the game was quite satisfactory for me, any longer and i woulda been annoyed, the story really drove the game and thats what matters to me.

Like i said before, if you're ok with going to a movie theater to watch movies, then the cost/entertainment value is better on portal 2. If you never hit the theaters and watch bootlegs or wait till it appears in newsgroups, then you probably won't be happy shelling out the cash. I for one was very happy with the game, especially the expansion of the story and where they went with it.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Looks like you can get it cheap if you walk into a store.

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/portal-2

30 bucks if you walk into a gamestop and get it for pc.

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -]corrupt[- Lexon on Mon May 02, 2011 9:25 pm

zel wrote:Looks like you can get it cheap if you walk into a store.

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/portal-2

30 bucks if you walk into a gamestop and get it for pc.

MOTHER FUCKER!

captmorgan

Postby captmorgan on Tue May 03, 2011 11:20 am

zel wrote:I actually played through it, hence i call bullshit on a claim of 4 hours on a first run. I'm actually very good at puzzle games and whipped through it pretty quick. I added maybe 1.5 hours worth of gawking and exploring on my first run. After beating it i spent perhaps another 2 hours worth of getting all the achievements. Then i went back through it to take a few screen caps for my steam profile.
A legend in his own mind! So the player who doesn't have OCD or saves his "achievement hunting" for real life is skipping content he didn't ask for in the first place and thus isn't playing the game?

And where do you get your stats on average gamers being overwhelmed at updating drivers? Sounds like a bullshit stat to me. Ya, must be real hard to go click "next" a few times, especially since you don't even NEED to have up-to-date drivers to be able to run everything. Not that it matters, I wasn't doing a pc vs. consoles rant here. Hell steam has an option to automatically install them for you, if you're so overwhelmed by the immense technicality of it.
Ask 10 random pc users when was the last time they checked for a BIOS update. (BIOS is simply an input/output driver) Do you think windows update defaults to automatic updates because Microsoft likes spending money on bandwidth? No, it defaults to automatic updates because the general public wont update unless forced to or it's done for them.

Eitherway, the length of the game was quite satisfactory for me, any longer and i woulda been annoyed, the story really drove the game and thats what matters to me.

Like i said before, if you're okay with going to a movie theater to watch movies, then the cost/entertainment value is better on portal 2. If you never hit the theaters and watch bootlegs or wait till it appears in newsgroups, then you probably won't be happy shelling out the cash. I for one was very happy with the game, especially the expansion of the story and where they went with it.
Now you insinuate I'm a thief, nice debating tactic. "Anyone who doesn't agree with me is either a bullshitter or a thief". The last movie I went to see in the theater was the latest Harry Potter movie with my 2 teenaged daughters. It cost me $21.00 for 3 tickets and with a running time of 2h25m that's a little over 7 aggregate hours of entertainment that was gotten for $21.00.

Mahony

Postby Mahony on Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 pm

captmorgan wrote: It cost me $21.00 for 3 tickets

MOTHER FUCKER!!!!
50 bucks for two last time I went to the movies, drinks and popcorn included.

zel
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby zel on Wed May 04, 2011 12:00 am

1 quick point, Asking 10 random people doesn't make for a valid study. I don't work from non-existent sources so I call-out claims to percentages that have no verifiable source.

The BIOS has nothing to do with gaming in particular, mainly it simply allows the computer to assign resources necessary to access peripherals and then boots the real OS. It also does a few other extra things depending on who made the MB like automatic over-clocking but that doesn't apply to the ability to play games either. The BIOS is not a driver. It stands for Basic Input Output System and is a type of operating system in and of itself, very basic as the name suggests. Its considered firmware and its code is "permanent" (although programmable through the use of EEPROM). Asking about familiarity with updating a BIOS in reference to updating software in connection with PC gaming is very far off topic, since the BIOS has zero direct connections to a game being able to run. So that would be a horrible question to base your point on since as long as your PC can boot, the BIOS revision is irrelevant. That would be akin to not being able to play your 360 on your tv and then thinking "damn, i better check the firmware revision on my TV". More appropriately would be asking about the video card drivers and as I've stated before, those barely have to be kept up to date. Microsoft security patches have little to nothing to do with gaming in particular, simply more security for the operating system. The 360 and PS3 update themselves automatically too and while they're "firmware updates" in their case its actually their operating system being updated, so this point is moot. All your points so far in this case are very poor and you only back them up with aggression in effort to dissuade argument, not facts. Meanwhile my point is that you have no real point you're making with that statement, especially since video card drivers are the only game-specific driver to worry about. Having had, and fixed, many problems with running games myself I can tell you the biggest problem I've experienced is with other random software. Some games don't work with FRAPS, and others don't play nice with the xfire overlay. Occasionally the Steam overlay screws up and from personal experience the IZ3D DX hook is very buggy and causes very strange problems. When i used to run in anaglyph mode and forgot i had the IZ3D program installed it broke the steam overlay and caused FO3 and a few other games to crash on launch. A quick update of the IZ3D hook fixed that but for the longest time I thought it may have been a video card driver or a problem with the DX SDK i installed with the XNA dev kit i installed when i was dabbling with game development. Even more problems can be laid solely at the developer's/publisher's/investor's feet for laziness. It's the whole "most people's config runs it just fine, we've made a gaggle of money, we're moving on".

I wasn't insinuating you're a thief actually, my statements were only hypothetical in nature and the "you" i refer to is anyone reading, and in fact, no one in particular. Also, your example simply serves to work with my claim that going to the movies is on-par with buying this game for 45$ (thats what i paid for P2) when you take into account playing both campaigns and what you're capable of getting out of it, Also, in my area, movie tickets run 10 bucks for anyone over 11 so me + 2 teens = 30 + tax + food/drink = the cost of portal 2. Just because you didn't "ask for it" in a game didn't mean it isn't there. Achievements can be fun to do and there is nothing wrong with doing them. I've got 20 hours into it after completing both the single and multi campaigns and me and Rhys had a hell of a fun time with the multi, many literal LOL moments to be had. Then you argue about how content you didn't ask for doesn't count. OK fine, you didn't ask for it, i guess thats one very good point you make, is that if i didn't ask for it in a game then we shouldn't count that content as being part of the game. I don't agree with that statement but it's a valid point of view.

As with anything in life, YMMV on portal 2, i'm only stating what is in it and what it's capable of delivering.

I'll talk about a subject here but once it moves to personal attacks, i'm out. I try and word all my statements on what-ifs/if-thens and generic examples but you're attacking me directly now so have a nice time with that, feel free to argue with yourself from here on out. I won't be replying to any more attacks on my character or trolling from you.

Next

Return to Every Other Game