Inception

toon-x reviews the films you don't want to watch.
HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Inception

Postby HangOver on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 am

awesome flick. not nearly as revolutionary as they hyped it to be but i was expecting that. even with all the hype i still really enjoyed the movie. it's well worth the money to go see.

4.5/5

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Inception

Postby BlueSix on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:33 am

5/5 best movie I've seen in a very very long time. I had a couple of issues:
Spoilers
I didn't care enough about the characters - Leo's character didn't invoke much of an emotional response for me and his desire to get home to see the kids wasn't 'real' enough to me.
The architect seemed to be too much of a Deus Ex... She is the 'new guy' but has tons of great insight into this crazy world and seemed to get way too close to Leo, way too fast.

/Spoilers

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Spoilers

do you think the top fell over?

/Spoilers

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 pm

also, i REALLY hope that joseph gordon levitt gets cast as the riddler in the next batman movie. i really like him.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 pm

HangOver wrote:also, i REALLY hope that joseph gordon levitt gets cast as the riddler in the next batman movie. i really like him.

Every time I saw him I kept wondering where they found a Heath Ledger lookalike... I haven't seen any of his other films but I thought he was great in this.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:17 pm

HangOver wrote:Spoilers

do you think the top fell over?

/Spoilers

Spoilers
Honestly, my gut feeling is no, but I feel like I need to watch it again and pay closer attention to a few things (like his wedding ring) before I really delve into what I think was 'really' going on.

Also, (another thing I need to pay closer attention to) - Didn't his kids sound older when he was on the phone with them? I may be assuming too much, but it seemed to me like it had been 'a while' since he fled the US. I was surprised when they were still young (the same exact age as his flashbacks) - I wonder if there was a date on the ticket the 'now or never' guy held out...

Hell, Michael Caine's character was pretty enigmatic - He could have orchestrated something REALLY big. He invented the technology, right?

/Spoilers

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Spoilers

my theory. i think (just maybe) that the entire thing was leos father doing inception on him. he provided the architect (who, coincidentally seemed VERY interested, for some reason, in the methods of leos madness). if you take one step back and look at what leo was trying to do with the fischer(i think that was his name), it pretty much mirrors what his father would be trying to do. you have to convince the person that it was THEIR idea. they can't know they are being manipulated. the entire goal was to convince leo to forgive himself for his wifes death and to get back to being happy with his kids (who didn't seem to age at all btw). so along comes a character that can make one phone call and BAM, everything is fixed. that's pretty dreamlike to me :)

his top ... it very well could have fallen over because if it was HIS dream, he would know that it should fall over (and it fell over plenty of times for him throughout the movie). damn the more i think about this movie the more i like it. i NEED to go see it again. heh.

/Spoilers

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Spoilers

I think your theory is very valid. I think if the whole thing is a dream that Leo is in, then the only person who can pull it off would be Michael Caine's character.

/Spoilers

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 pm

spoilers

/spoilers

[GWR]Droogan

Postby [GWR]Droogan on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 pm

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:57 pm

telepathy. look it up bitches. heh.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:22 am

OK, I re-watched it. I caught a lot of interesting things that I missed the first time around.
Spoilers

After they wake up in the train, Leo says he's getting off at the next stop. One of the team members says 'Why? It isn't like he's going to check every compartment.' To which Leo responds 'I don't like trains.'

/Spoilers
I didn't catch the significance of this the first time watching, but I got a kick out of it the 2nd time.

Here's an interesting article which had a pretty good take on the ending on the last page, as well as some insightful comments from readers:
http://screenrant.com/inception-spoiler ... ofi-68330/

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Interesting - In the first cut of the film, Ariadne had a different totem. Here's a series of screencaps:
http://i.imgur.com/wSrX1.jpg

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:42 pm

lol that's great.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:00 pm

This is kind of cool - Check out this video about the music / score in the film.
Pay close attention to the name of the artist of 'Non, je ne regrette rien' he mentions in the video.

Another item of note (my Dad told me this after I saw it with him) is that Marion Cotillard (Mal) also assumed the role of Edith Piaf in 'The extraordinary life of Edith Piaf' in 2007.

Next

Return to Movie Land