The world of education...

Where CNN gets their information
[GWR]Droogan

The world of education...

Postby [GWR]Droogan on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:32 pm

..is in trouble.

So, as some of you know I provide tech support for a couple elementary schools, and a high school. Today I had the opportunity to tag along and attend an all day workshop on "The New Curriculum" with a V.P. from one of those schools. He wanted to bring me along to help him understand how they were proposing to use technology to write curriculum.

I was a little shocked to get an inside look at what the powers that be think about technology and education. In fact, they don't have a clue. I feel like the entire world of technology has driven by the world of education. At one point I thought, these people are like babies flopping around on the floor trying to crawl. To continue the analogy any time I spoke I had to make sure I didn't squish one of them. I know when I suggested a number of collaborative authoring groupware tools they just stared blankly, and decided that the best way to write a document with multiple authors was via email.

This is in Canada mind you, I'm sure things are similar in the U.S.

Shrug. I'm just glad the schools I support (private schools) are very forward thinking with technology. Now I just have to find the money to send my kids there.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: The world of education...

Postby MaDSpartus on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:30 pm

I honestly feel like the more technology becomes commonplace, the LESS people know how to use it. tech education is like how to use microsoft word, not how to troubleshoot, or code, or even frigging set up a wireless network properly. Sure you can say the kids today all "computer nerds", but me I laugh at that statement. Using facebook and youtube does not mean you know anything about computers (varying analogies can be made to technology in general).

maybe this is quite a tangent, but how does everyone feel about the statement "private schools provide a superior education to public systems". I'm not at the point yet where i've really thought about it, but i guess some of us are getting there :P

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:04 am

As I'm sure I've made abundantly clear in many of my posts, I'm against a big government. The fact that our government controls such a high portion of the education of our youth disturbs me. Kids today are stupid. I have no problems saying it. This is the fault of the government. Whether it's willfully so because it's easier to control stupid people, or whether it's unintended due to incompetence I don't know. It doesn't really matter to me. I think private systems do offer a better education. I don't have numbers to back this up but I would be willing to wager that a higher percentage of private school attendees lead successful productive lives than that of their public school counterparts.

I feel that if I want my kids to go to a private school, I should get some sort of tax refund for the portion of taxes I pay that goes to education. It's wrong to support such a broken system. If America really wanted to pass some sweeping legislation we should have tackled public education shortfalls rather than health care. Better education = better jobs. better jobs = company insurance. The more we have on company insurance the less we have to worry about those 'poor millions of uninsured Americans.' In addition to this, better education will necessarily reduce the number of people having children who can't afford them. It's like in the movie Idiocracy, the trash fucktards of the world procreate on a massive scale, while the intelligent responsible couples keep holding off till they feel they are financially secure.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:43 am

-PC-Taishar wrote:it's willfully so because it's easier to control stupid people

ding ding ding.

-PC-Taishar wrote:I feel that if I want my kids to go to a private school, I should get some sort of tax refund for the portion of taxes I pay that goes to education. It's wrong to support such a broken system. If America really wanted to pass some sweeping legislation we should have tackled public education shortfalls rather than health care. Better education = better jobs. better jobs = company insurance. The more we have on company insurance the less we have to worry about those 'poor millions of uninsured Americans.' In addition to this, better education will necessarily reduce the number of people having children who can't afford them.

there are a million ways to fix the problem. paying teachers more money but making it FAR more difficult to become a teacher is a good start. this will basically insure that only people who WANT to teach are the people in the position to influence our youth.

-PC-Taishar wrote:It's like in the movie Idiocracy, the trash fucktards of the world procreate on a massive scale, while the intelligent responsible couples keep holding off till they feel they are financially secure.

we need to stop allowing our lowlifes to procreate. i don't know the HOW, but we need to do something. REWARDING these worthless cunts by giving them more money everytime they spawn is not the answer. i'm just certain that if we can figure out how to send men into space and walk on the moon that we can figure out some way to prevent women (or men) from having babies until they've proven they are capable of it. we need to tell the religious nut jobs to shut the fuck up. just because it is a person god (lol) given right to have a child, doesn't mean that they SHOULD. but, everyone is just too chickenshit to speak out about common sense stuff like this.

[GWR]Droogan

Postby [GWR]Droogan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:02 am

HangOver wrote:there are a million ways to fix the problem. paying teachers more money but making it FAR more difficult to become a teacher is a good start. this will basically insure that only people who WANT to teach are the people in the position to influence our youth.

The educational sector is entrenched in the age old notion that seniority = wisdom. Unfortunately the world kind of turned upside down during the last decade but no one told them that seniority has in most sectors of the business world been replaced with merit or competence. Don't get me wrong, I still believe that grey hair can be equated with wisdom, but which of the following teams would you choose to run a business you owned:

1) A team of ten people over the age of 55, mostly male.

2) A team of ten people of all ages and genders.

In this day in age if you choose number 1 you go broke. The education system is broke.

Return to Politics