US Health Reform

Where CNN gets their information
MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: US Health Reform

Postby MaDSpartus on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:56 am

yes exactly tai.

What i meant by fearing communism is just what i hear that absolutely batshit crazy 25% of republicans say about democrats and that they have to be completely hands off on the economy.

Your totally right though about investing in good companies not shit ones. that kinda what i meant by the whole comparison where i said in singapore the companies work for the gov, but in america the gov works for the companies.

i didnt only mean with policy formation and lobby groups. the whole bailout was america doing what the companies wanted. i cant see how any sane taxpayer would want the bailout. ok well i can, if they were in a low tax bracket and worked for a company that was going under due to mismanagement. What the gov should have done is instead of handing out money in exchange for stipulating some policy, is they should have bought those failed companies at 50c on the dollar and rebuilt them properly with the resources they made available, thats what all those other countries i mentioned do, not just give the money away. and by buy i mean in its entirety, we will buy your verge of bankrupt company for this much, and thats it.

actually now that i think about it i dont know what tax bracket matters. your government spending and taxation rate are obviously completely independent variables that have no correlation what so ever :P

-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -PC-Taishar on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:54 am

MaDSpartus wrote: your government spending and taxation rate are obviously completely independent variables that have no correlation what so ever :P

Sad, funny, true. All at the same time.

I don't agree with what you said about the government buying a company out right. The problem with that is that they have no incentive to make it profitable. Which is why the government never runs ANYTHING well. Anytime it's something is losing money they just throw tax money at it, or print more money. The idiots in government are too greedy, too stupid, or just don't care to see the reality that in the long run that doesn't work.

Every since the Raw Deal (New Deal) America has been implementing unsound fiscal policy, and to some gain. It actually worked because our deficit spending got us economically ahead of every economy out there. But once that superiority was attained, a smart government would have tightened the reigns and balanced our budget. Even passed a law making it illegal to spend more than we bring in. I'd LOVE to see a congressman come out and propose a bill like that. HAHA FAT CHANCE.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:43 pm

why cant the government own profitable corporations?

canada post (the mail service) is a crown corporation here and is profitable, it wasnt always but it has for some time. They pay an annual dividend to the federal government every year. I think the problem is government organizations are given a budget to spend and they see it as if we dont spend (waste) it we wont get as much next year. the difference is with a government corp is that they don't get money from the gov, their only income is what they make and the profits that aren't reinvested are paid out as dividends. The gov would obviously spend a ton on purchase and another boatload on keeping it afloat temporarily and restructuring, but after its restructured they dont get a government budget anymore. You know even if the government isn't interested in long term investment like that, they can also hold it for a year or 2 for restructuring and then resell it once the slump is over and the company posts sustainable profits. that in itself would also be a good investment compared to what is being done.

Previous

Return to Politics