Steam, as usual...

Pitch a fit here
[Creep]-Tyrant

Steam, as usual...

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:26 am

Well I'm not sure yet, but I may have lost access to over $200 of Valve software thanks to STEAM.
I went to join WickedNET 1.6 today, Steam said ticket expired, re-enter password.
Now it says "Steam account does not exist or password is incorrect"
So I try the retrieve lost account button (even tho I KNOW for a fact I have entered the correct password) and it says it's sending a verification to my email.
Well its been 7 hours and no email after numerous attempts.
Yay
So now I can't play any of the games I paid for, including Half Life 2 because of stupid ass Steam.
I went to Steam forums and support, tried every single thing suggested, to no avail.
Now I'm waiting for thier lazy asses to send me an email regarding my support question as to WTF is going with my account.
Last edited by [Creep]-Tyrant on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khemikal
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Khemikal on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:06 am

Don't worry...you'll get a response and it will be fixed in a couple of weeks.

Kevin

Azriel

Postby Azriel on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:49 pm

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!! IT JUST HAPPENED TO ME TOO!!!

tell me if you figure it out, and ill tell you if i do.

Azriel

Postby Azriel on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:57 pm

I got it....took about 3 minutes.

Someone changed my password, and i got that msg. I would suggest asking someone who could have been on your account if they changed your pw.

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:04 am

well my account has in fact been hijacked, I no longer have any of my games and Valve has yet to respond, so at the moment I have over $120 invested in software that some P.O.S. is enjoying for free.
its not a question, Steam's email system was hacked and fake emails were sent out using Steams email address to hijack account passwords with a 'Verify your account" email.
I have received similar emails from Steam before so I thought it was typical Steam crap since i had been offline for so long.
Going through thier forums I found the EXACT fake email that I recieved and responded to.
So there's no doubt about it, my account is stolen.
I have no idea how long Valve will take to even respond to me, much less what they will do (if anything) to restore my account,
I have everything you could ask for as far as proof that I own the account, including the install CD's, jewel cases with printed CD keys and everything else.

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:00 am

i know that some day, i will come face to face with a lying, cheating, hacking scumbag. on that day, much blood will be shed before i allow said lying, cheating, hacking scumbag to loose conciousness. once revived, i will take my time slowly torturing the cocksucker. i will not kill this person. no. that would be too kind.

to the pain.

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:30 am

Amen Hang
let me know when said scumbag comes along, I got lots of razor blades and containers of salt........this could be fun...........
damnit I am so pissed off, someone is out there enjoying over $140 of MY games for free and I can't play a single damn one of them.
Hacking P.O.S.

Khemikal
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Khemikal on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:29 am

Ty, I understand you are irate...and rightfully so. This may sound like a dick headed-ish thing to say but it is kind of your fault =/

You got phished and if you think about it, looking on the positive, you should be happy that it was for $140 games and not your bank account info which could cost you a great deal more including identity theft.

People take technology for granted and you are someone who is probably a bit more knowledgeable than 95% of the people out there and it happened. If you heard the phone messages and emails I receive from my family asking about the stupidest shit it would scare you. It scares the crap out of me because they are the norm. While it may seem wrong, the fact of the matter is if someone is ignorant (not applying to you here) and doesn't take the time to protect themselves with firewalls, antivirus, and common sense then it is difficult to have sympathy for them.

If you do end up with your own server Ty, hopefully this will be a wakeup call for how vigilant you need to be. I pay someone to go through my logs everyday to keep an eye out for potential problems...and even then there is always the chance something could get through.

Kevin

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:40 pm

bah, if I hadn't been so scatter brained with all the things going on around ehre, I would NEVER have made such a mistake.
Just really good timing by the hacker to catch me at JUST the moment I get back online after a couple months off, so the email appeared even more legit just based on the timing alone.
Anyway, normally I do not make mistakes like this, very, very rare for me to be so careless.
All may be well though, I found the route to prove ownership of the products thru Steam online, taking pictures of all my Retail packaging and Cd's, the jewel cases and sleeves and the digitally printed KEYs on them as per Valves request .
Since I actually keep all the packaging and everything else, it was easy to give them a all the pictures they wanted, actually looking at the pics, its kind of a nice spread of stuff, hehe.
They said it might take a week, but if I could send them the info they wanted, there shouldn't be any trouble restoring the account to me.
Well I sent them MORE than they need, so I should be good to go hopefully.
*crosses fingers*

Ps. They can't hack my bank account, it's absolutely impossible to hack my bank account, I don't care how good anyone is on a computer, it's just plain impossible.
Besides even if I had a bank account, chances are it would have less money in it than is in that software.
hehe
Learning is fun

Azriel

Postby Azriel on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:36 pm

Sorry ty.....i stole your account

:lol:

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:55 pm

Ban him again!

Return to Bitch Bitch Bitch