Nation-switchers trouble Olympic chiefs

WickedNET National Major League Association of Sports
-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7574379.stm

don't know what you guys think on this one. it seems like one of those problems you'd have to look at on an
individual basis.

but it's funny if people start claiming ancestry the whole damn US Olympic team would be at jeopardy hehe

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Nation-switchers trouble Olympic chiefs

Postby HangOver on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:21 pm

if you are a US citizen you should represent the US. period. it pisses me off how many athletes train/live here and take advantage of the united states, and then represent another country in the olympics. but since america is a nation of pushovers we won't do anything about it. after all it would be downright RUDE to force our citizens to have pride in america. sigh.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Switching just to be in the games is wrong but if you're representing another country because of pride in where you're from, that's a different story. I'll bet some of these people move to the US or whereever for better opportunities but still have alot of pride in their homelands. They shouldn't be forced to play for us just cuz they live here. I'll bet toon would go play representing Nica!

awp-killer
Elite Member
Elite Member

HangOver wrote:after all it would be downright RUDE to force our citizens to have pride in america. sigh.

Yes, it would be VERY rude (at the very least). Since when should we be the thought police?

As far as what country individuals represent, some people have dual citizenship. Besides, I bet the US gets a lot of athletes from other countries for this reason. Like that guy from Sudan...is he even a US citizen?

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:51 pm

awp-killer wrote:Yes, it would be VERY rude (at the very least). Since when should we be the thought police?

it's not about us forcing people to think a specific way. even if you don't like some of the stuff our country does, you should still represent. otherwise you are a freeloader and need to get the fuck out.

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

if i was the best athlete of something i would actually have to play for Nicaragua since i'm not a citizen but
either way i'd like to since Nica has never gotten a medal.

The US probably has the most players taken from other countries.

look at the gymnastics team.

one of the girl's dad won gold for the soviets in the 80's
one coach is from china the other is from russia the other 2 gymnastics power houses

it's easy for the US to get those atheletes because they get to be Americans.

but what the article is showing as negative is doing this

lets say Khem was going for a volleyball stop on the US team and he doesnt make it so then he's like oh i'm
polish too so i'm going play for poland now because i know that i'm good enough to be the best polish player
so now i get to go to the Olympics.

or the scenerio where athletes are being bought, and not like oh you get to be American and have freedom
but straight up paying for them to switch sides.

i think that needs to be checked. if enough athletes start doing it they'll have to put more rules in there. As it
stands right now the rules are pretty lax, i mean Rope could probably say he'll play for Ireland even though he's
a few generations back.

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

the rule should be : You must be a citizen for at least 4 years in the country you wish to represent.

gg

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

that sounds like news... are you from the past?

it's 2009 and Obama is the president. Hello? how did you time travel?

Return to Sports