WoW video error

Wickeds keyboard of the mighty which grants +4 to typing speed
Azriel

WoW video error

Postby Azriel on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:29 pm

Every time i go into WoW i get a brownish/black screen that wont go away until i minimize. Once i minimize and go back into the game the game screen is perfectly normal other than the text on the buttons. There is no text on any of the buttons on the beginning screen, or in game. I updated my drivers and it went away, but now its doing it again. Have any of you seen this before? any ideas?

Mahony

Re: WoW video error

Postby Mahony on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:49 pm

Never heard of this 1 before. Iv only had download problems, and the WoW Tech forums usually helped.

Azriel

Postby Azriel on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Back when i was still having the problem i checked the wow tech forums and found that it was actually a very widespread problem. Blizz had chosen not to reply to any of the threads.

After doing a couple clean uninstalls, running the blizz repair tool a couple times, and pretty much going insane, I happened to stumble upon a adware/virus file buried in a /temp folder. Deleted it, ran AVG, reinstalled and voila.

Not that I'm saying that was the problem to begin with, it may have just been chance.

kelston

Postby kelston on Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:13 am

It's hard to have any idea what you're talking about tbh. What do you mean by brown/black screen?

Azriel

Postby Azriel on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:37 pm

When i started WoW, MY screen turned to a brownish color. You know how when you start a game it goes to a black screen for a split second? Thats basically what it was doing but it went to a brown screen. When i alt-tabbed out then back in, the normal WoW opening screen appeared with all of the buttons and boxes, but no text anywhere.

kelston

Postby kelston on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:12 am

If it ever pops back up, try playing WoW in OpenGL. (-opengl in the shortcut).

Azriel

Postby Azriel on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:16 am

Tried that and it didnt work. That was a suggestion on the WoW forums. I think it was just a matter of running the repair/fully uninstalling/virus scan/full clean installing in the right order.

Return to MMORPGs