Darkfall Update

Wickeds keyboard of the mighty which grants +4 to typing speed
ElPresidente
Elite Member
Elite Member

Darkfall Update

Postby ElPresidente on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:30 pm

Well, they have made an announcement regarding beta. They are currently shooting for Q3 2007.

For those of you who are not up to date on what Darkfall is, this is a *very* breif breakdown of its features:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Open PvP: No safe zones, anywhere. If it breathes, you can kill it. There are currently 3 'racial teams' Mahirim and Orks, Humans and Elfs and Dwarfs, and lastly Alfar. There is an alignment system in place that is too complex for a breif run down, but it should work well at keeping things in order. But yes, you can kill members of your own racial team.

-Full Loot: Yep. Everything they have is yours. (Relax all you WoW'ers, i'll talk about gear later.)

-PvE: The way the system is designed, Mob's have a memory. They remember tactics used before, call for help, retreat, switch to a more effective weapon and all in all are smarter. No aggro or tanking. Great article that talks about it : http://df.warcry.com/scripts/news/view_ ... 7&id=69008
Also, loot on mob's is logical. If they are wearing plate armor and weilding a pike, when you kill them, they will have plate armor and a pike on them. No more Deer holding 3 silver and a pair of boots.

-Twitch Combat: No more button mashing. If you have played Mount and Blade or Morrowind/Oblivion, you will understand. Also, there is manual Blocking.

-No Targeting or Floating Names: Manual aiming of Arrows and Spells.

-NO CLASSES!!!: Yep, it is an Open Skill tree. You want to be a Dwarf, Heavy Armor, Long Bow weilding, Miner with Fire and Ice magic? Go for it. Also, the Dev's have said there is over 1500 skills and about 1000 spells.

-No hardcap with points: There is a softcap in place where once you reach a certain number of points (and all skills are weighted differently), your skill gains slow down, but never stop.

-No rerolling your char: They have a Skill Decay system in place so that if you don't want to use the Axe anymore and want to learn the Spear, simply stop using the Axe. Over time, your points in that skill will decay.

-Item Crafting: The Dev's have said that 99% of all items found in the game can be crafted by players. They can also enchant them. Make potions, build buildings and ships, etc... Which brings me to my next point...

-No ub3r lootz: I know this is going to be difficult for some of you to wrap your heads around, but there is no "Ub3r Sword of Instant PWNAGE!!!11!". Granted, items will give you an edge, but they are not the end all.

-No Levels: The developers made a choice early on to not have levels. They have also stated that 4 new characters in starting gear can take down a highly trained character decked out in enchanted gear, as long as the new characters know how to use the combat system. What this means is say "Bye Bye to the grind!!!" No need to kill 10000 bunnies to actually be effective in PvP or higher level PvE.

-Powerful Guild System: Build your city. Lay siege to someone elses. Open a tavern or a shop. etc...

-Naval Combat: Cannons and ships and sea monsters, oh my!

-No instancing: One big map. No zones. They compaired the land mass to the size of Germany, with underground cities and underwater caves.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an absolut TON of features i could list, but if you are not intrested at this point, you most likely wont be. So in the interest of time, if you have questions about some of the features, just ask. I'll do my best to answer.

They have also been pushing a lot of updates to the site. http://www.darkfallonline.com/
Warcry (http://df.warcry.com/news/) hosts the Dev interviews, bi-weekly game updates. The below link gives the most current update.
http://df.warcry.com/news/view/72954-De ... evelopment <- State of current development

They also have redone the graphics and everything looks freaken amazing. The following are links to images, some of each race as they stand now. (Note: The Human's section of the race page is going to be updated next week, i will edit this post when they become available.)
Mahirim (what i will be playing)
http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/r ... _04?full=1
http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/r ... _09?full=1
Alfar (kind of like a Dark Elf, this one is on its racial mount)
http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/r ... _06?full=1
Dwarfs
http://www.darkfallonline.com/races/dwarves/index.html
http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/r ... _02?full=1
Mirdain (Elf's)
http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/r ... _01?full=1
http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/r ... _02?full=1
Orks
http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/r ... _08?full=1
http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/r ... _06?full=1

kelston

Re: Darkfall Update

Postby kelston on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:36 am

No rerolling your char: They have a Skill Decay system in place so that if you don't want to use the Axe anymore and want to learn the Spear, simply stop using the Axe. Over time, your points in that skill will decay.

Oh dear god. Years after MMOs discovered that such a system that games like MUDs used to use were a bad idea, Darkfall decides it would be good? People get sick of killing 20 bears for bear asses, who would want to actually need to utilize a specific skill thousands of times to become proficient at it? It's one of the things I hated most about Morrowind having to sit there spamming jump for 9 hours just so my character could jump.

How can you say you have 1500 skills and a skill decay system and then go and claim there is no grinding?

Cane

Postby Cane on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:27 pm

Actually, I like the idea of a skill decay system. Sorry, but just because you used a 2hp 2 years ago doesn't mean you should still be a master at it. I imagine the decay will be capped so you're not a complete and uttering boob at it again.

Don't hate me for saying it, but WoW caters to the lazy very harshly. Hit a button, walk away, and voila. You're 300/300 in First Aid and you have that forever in case you do want it. Glad this game realizes people want more of a challenge.

Deviate

Postby Deviate on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:15 pm

I am looking forward to this game.

ElPresidente
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby ElPresidente on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:45 am

kelston wrote:
No rerolling your char: They have a Skill Decay system in place so that if you don't want to use the Axe anymore and want to learn the Spear, simply stop using the Axe. Over time, your points in that skill will decay.

Oh dear god. Years after MMOs discovered that such a system that games like MUDs used to use were a bad idea, Darkfall decides it would be good? People get sick of killing 20 bears for bear asses, who would want to actually need to utilize a specific skill thousands of times to become proficient at it? It's one of the things I hated most about Morrowind having to sit there spamming jump for 9 hours just so my character could jump.

How can you say you have 1500 skills and a skill decay system and then go and claim there is no grinding?

Well, you are correct. If you want to go kill 10,000 bunnies with an Axe just to get your Axe skill up, then yes, that by defination is grinding.

But you don't have to have your Axe skill at 100 to do damage or anything. There are no dice rolls (at least not to see if you hit or do damage, for crits, yes there is a roll).

The Dev's have said there is no 'hit' for zero damage, and the way combat is set up, if you swing and make contact with the hitbox of the target, you hit it.

As for skill decay, I don't know the specifics, but from what has been talked about this is basically how the system will work:
- No skill decay while you are offline. So if you go on vacation for a month, you wont come back to your character losing all the points.
- Skill decay is on a curve. The more points you have in skills the faster it will decay OVERALL. So if you have 100 in Axe and Heavy armor, it wont decay fast, but if you have 100 in Axe, Heavy Armor, Spear, Fire Magic, etc, then it will decay at a faster rate.
- Unused Skills will take a loooooong time to decay
- Skills will never decay faster than you can earn them. So you will never have the gain 1 skill point in something, lose 1 skill point in another.
- Used skills will not decay.

Again, i dont know the specifics of the skill decay rates and such, no one does, but the Dev's have stated that it will never force cap you at skill points.

Audric

Postby Audric on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 am

I can't wait to see how this game turns out, because right now it sounds like early UO, where every badass is a walking nuclear tank. Warrior-mages will be running rampant if you can have it all, and skill up whatever you want. Who wouldn't want to be a spell caster in plate armor?

kelston

Postby kelston on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:41 pm

The idea of a skill decay system makes sense. I simply don't like a system where it simply assumes you will be playing for 2-3 years which seemed to be about the amount of time it took people in UO to actually start to be uber and meaningful. I mean, the idea is good, the theory is good, I just don't want to be in that situation all over again where I want to buy my own house so I could trap high level monsters just so I could sit in there with it to like... level magic resist. I want to log on and play not log on and work.

Nothing's wrong with a system that allows you to be lazy because it's a game. It's for having fun. And I stopped having fun in immensely heavy grinds back in Ultima Online. There is something inherently wrong with a system where the official strategy guide says to make a macro to hit target dummies and then park your character at a target dummy with the button taped down while you to to work/school just so you could have a character ready to play. So if I want to play, I first have to not play for 9 hours. That's just counterintuitive.

I just find the "No, no, our skill decay system will be different" marketing speak rather than something meaningful. If there will never be a point where you're forced to be a specific level at a skill to do something, then it defeats the purpose of having skill points. Or am I just looking at this the wrong way? You have a skill point system in place for a reason. If there's not going to be dice rolls and there's not going to be artificial caps/cockblocks, why have a skill point system? If any dude could just game the combat system without ever levelling skill points like it seems to indicate, why level skills at all? These claims just seem completely contradictory to having a skill system.

It's like having a bike riding skill that has 100 possible total points. But if you know how a bicycle works (ie the combat system claim of noobs vs a geared uber dude) and as a result you know how to ride it like a master with only 1 point, why would you get the other 99 points?

Don't get me wrong. I would love a new game and I seem to enjoy MMOs. But I want something that is fun. I guess I grew too ADD to ever want to sit there and grind something for the sake of grinding. I want PvP that is balanced for 1v1 and 10000v10000. I want PvE that is not farm 99999 potions for the group using eyeballs that drop at a rate that could only realistically make 3 potions per year. I like a system that is open like Darkfall seems to want to be so I could be whatever character I want to be rather than locked into some predetermined class that is someone else's vision of what the class should be. But I don't want it to be like Morrowind where you have to do that jumping and swimming bullshit. I mean seriously, I want to be able to just press spacebar to jump, not have to see the grand master champion expert jumper to teach me how to begin to jump and take 73 months to jump higher than a toddler.

ElPresidente
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby ElPresidente on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:54 pm

Audric wrote:I can't wait to see how this game turns out, because right now it sounds like early UO, where every badass is a walking nuclear tank. Warrior-mages will be running rampant if you can have it all, and skill up whatever you want. Who wouldn't want to be a spell caster in plate armor?

Exactly. People without somekind of magic will be at a disadvantage.

No two people could be alike. You never know what would work against someone. Say they have tons of Fire Resistance and you are spec'ed to Fire Magic and Long Blade. You notice your spells arent doing as much damage as they should so you switch to CC (close comabt). Granted this is a simplified version, you could be spec'ed in 100 different things.

There are draw backs though, Plat Armor will increase casting time and increase the odds your spell will fail.
Counter to this - a skill called Combat Casting. reduces the penalty for casting in heavy armor.
Same with casting while moving, a Run Casting skill.

I really cant wait till we get a list of the skills and spells. I'll pee my pants a little when i see it. :D

ElPresidente
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby ElPresidente on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:22 pm

Before i answer some of your questions, let me explian one thing: the skill point system is independent of character control to the extent you don't 'PUT' points in to skills. The skills go up and down by use and conversly, non-use.

I just find the "No, no, our skill decay system will be different" marketing speak rather than something meaningful. If there will never be a point where you're forced to be a specific level at a skill to do something, then it defeats the purpose of having skill points. Or am I just looking at this the wrong way? You have a skill point system in place for a reason. If there's not going to be dice rolls and there's not going to be artificial caps/cockblocks, why have a skill point system? If any dude could just game the combat system without ever levelling skill points like it seems to indicate, why level skills at all? These claims just seem completely contradictory to having a skill system.

I think you might be looking at this the wrong way. Let me try and explain this again.
it might help to look at it like the game is going for a more realistic perspective:
Example:

You have a sword, like you sitting at your computer right now.

You can go out and stab someone with a sword the first time you pick it up right? Even though you have never used it before.
But if you had expirence with it, you would know where to hit someone to cause the most damage, you would know the angles to take to bypass armor and get a crit (thats where the dice roll comes in to play). You would know the proper way to handle the sword so that you use less energy (stamana) per swing, etc, etc, etc..

As for the skill decay, say you got really good at a sword 20 years ago. Then stopped using it. If you went back to it, you might remember how you were supposed to use it, but its not the same. Your mussles have lost some of the memory involved in using the sword properly. Granted, you wouldn't be as worthless as if you had never used a sword before, but you would still need time to get back to your level of proficency.

It's like having a bike riding skill that has 100 possible total points. But if you know how a bicycle works (ie the combat system claim of noobs vs a geared uber dude) and as a result you know how to ride it like a master with only 1 point, why would you get the other 99 points?

Along the lines of my statement before this quote, i will give you another example.
You are an aprentence blacksmith, you start out making horse shoes. Just because you can make 100 horse shoes, would you think you could make a sword?

Also, the combat system will have 'special moves'. Example: You have 1 point in Blocking. Say after reaching 25 points in Blocking you learn the "Shield Bash" move.

Don't get me wrong. I would love a new game and I seem to enjoy MMOs. But I want something that is fun. I guess I grew too ADD to ever want to sit there and grind something for the sake of grinding. I want PvP that is balanced for 1v1 and 10000v10000. I want PvE that is not farm 99999 potions for the group using eyeballs that drop at a rate that could only realistically make 3 potions per year. I like a system that is open like Darkfall seems to want to be so I could be whatever character I want to be rather than locked into some predetermined class that is someone else's vision of what the class should be. But I don't want it to be like Morrowind where you have to do that jumping and swimming bullshit. I mean seriously, I want to be able to just press spacebar to jump, not have to see the grand master champion expert jumper to teach me how to begin to jump and take 73 months to jump higher than a toddler.

As i said in an earler post, if you want to jump up and down 10000 times to increase your skill in Jump, go for it. What i am saying is that you don't HAVE to do it to be viable. If 4 new characters in starter gear can take down a maxed out character in loaded armor because they understand the combat system and use tactics, skill don't obviously have a MAJOR roll. Its not like WoW where a lvl 70 char can walk away from his character with 100 level 1 characters hitting him for an hour and come back and still have over half his hitpoints left.

Are you still confused about the skill system?

Audric

Postby Audric on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:12 pm

I don' t think think people are really confused, just extremely skeptical that it will be pulled off in a fun and balanced matter.

If pvp is your thing then I would say get ready for Warhammer Online. Made by the guys that did Dark Age of Camelot and bringing some truly inventive ideas to the table, it is shaping up to be a fantastic game (this comment is more aimed at Kelston than Pres, cause I know nothing is going to drag Pres away from Darkfall).

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:52 pm

Looks fun, I'd like a free trial to see how it will run on my laptop though... I've decided not to build a desktop for at least a year or 3.

ElPresidente
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby ElPresidente on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Audric wrote:I don' t think think people are really confused, just extremely skeptical that it will be pulled off in a fun and balanced matter.

If pvp is your thing then I would say get ready for Warhammer Online. Made by the guys that did Dark Age of Camelot and bringing some truly inventive ideas to the table, it is shaping up to be a fantastic game (this comment is more aimed at Kelston than Pres, cause I know nothing is going to drag Pres away from Darkfall).

:D

Smart man.

Warhammer's PvP doesnt really interest me, but then again i am biased.

I truely believe that Darkfall, if they pull it off, will be amazing. Like a multiplayer Oblivion but with more features and gameplay.

If they pull it off.

I really hope they do...

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -]corrupt[- Lexon on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:24 pm

BlueSix wrote:Looks fun, I'd like a free trial to see how it will run on my laptop though... I've decided not to build a desktop for at least a year or 3.

hear hear

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:28 pm

Damn this game looks better and better every time I check up on it, these guys really have a ton of great ideas.
I think once people get used to the newer idea, this game is gonna wipe a lot of other games of the market.

I hope I can get it when the time comes, for now I still play Anarchy Online and I still really like the game despite the changes and bugs.
It still offers more to do than any other game out there as far as character customization, role play, PVP and so forth.

Darkfall could very well take me away from AO though, AO is just to old and outdated to be a contender in the MMoRPG world for very much longer, although a shitload of people that left it to play WoW have returned, bored with WoW and tired of it's limitations ( I can't say that first hand, I only played a mage to lvl 26 and haven't really played it much so far, but I got bored with it too, except for the PvP which is fun, but we have plenty of PvP in AO, so I'm happy)

Deviate

Postby Deviate on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:32 am

Just curious if anyone is still keeping track of this game other than me.

I don't keep to close an eye on it since it has been in the works for fucking ever. But I check in on it every once in a while.

Still seems like it would be a really awesome game if it delivers what they say it will. I just read a blog article thingy on it earlier that had my hopes up again.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs.cfm?isapi_rewrite_remap=nileq%2F092008%2F2651_Darkfall-at-a-glance&bhcp=1

Next

Return to MMORPGs