Darkfall Update

Wickeds keyboard of the mighty which grants +4 to typing speed
-PC-Taishar
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Darkfall Update

Postby -PC-Taishar on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:46 pm

I like the concepts. But I'm not one to get hyped up about a game that takes this long to release. The graphics are kind of chincy and it appears that by the time it comes out, it would be like going back to counter strike 1.6 graphics as aposed to source or COD:4

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 am

I won't knock a game based on just graphical beauty, as we all know many games have come out that boast awesome graphics and deliver on that promise, but many times at the expense of compelling gameplay. I am STILL a very active Anarchy Online player (still waiting for the new gfx engine) even though the graphics are way outdated now. I keep playing because the game itself is so immense and there is so much to do.
I'd rather a game be smooth, interesting, and creative than just look pretty.

I guess we'll see what Darkfall has to offer eventually, if they ever gt it finished.

kelston

Postby kelston on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:28 pm

So some of you might be looking forward to Darkfall but I thought these quotes might make you think twice:

Vaporware. This game is not in beta. They're making the entire thing up. There is no game.

I'm not kidding. Darkfall is a giant investor scam, a modern day pyramid scheme without a pyramid.

http://betaleaks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Huh, interesting: Darkfall Online on betaleaks is the ONLY game with no leaks. The only comments that have been let out are apparently from the developer of the game, information that was sent to him, and he released "from beta testers".

Stop forwarding this bull****.

I understand everyone feeling hostile. It just seems ridiculous to think this whole thing is a scam, especially because they haven't asked for any sort of money yet.

Adventurine is a publicly traded company. Do you know what an investor scam is?

If Darkfall Online is real, it would be the first game in the history of MMOs to never have any beta leaks. That doesn't sound at all strange to you?

Right - that's why there's no 'Yay, I got in!' posts on any forum anywhere. That's why they tightly control anything anyone says on their public forums. That's why most people who mentions anything about the beta being a scam is banned.

That's why there's no leaks. That's why there's not a single person that ANYONE I know, or anyone on Gameriot knows, got in the beta. That's why they don't allow anyone from creditable sources to visit their studios: they set up fake interviews with fake reporters. That's why they release comments about the beta and pretend like it's from beta testers.

Honestly, if you believe this crap you're either an idiot, or you work for them. Take your pick.

If this were an investor scam, I'd have to believe that one as blatant and obvious as it wouldn't go unpunished, so yet again I say there seems to be little to gain despite 7 + years of work on the scam.

Punished by who? Who do you think has the authority and willpower to actually do something about it?

There have been, in my eyes, credible sources that have seen the DF offices firsthand and the game firsthand. Inlcuded is Asp of Lords of Death. I played with and against the guy in Shadowbane, so I'm fairly sure he exists. Although I guess you believe Aventurine hired him to write that report up for Lords of Death and are, 2 years later, keeping him on the payroll to make sure he doesn't talk.

They have explicitly denied gaming reporters access. I don't care about some random guy, bring in IGN, or Gamespot, or any number of legitimate European reporters.

If Darkfall Online is a legitimate game, it is the only game in the history of games to approach the media the way it has, and actually produce a product. Not holding my breath.

...for 7 years.

Why? I hope I'm wrong None

The fantasy-game (read: not a fantasy based game, but a game that isn't real) that they proposed sounds awesome. Skill based combat, many different forms of vehicle, mounted, and standard combat, a rich and dynamic world. It reads like a laundry list of every feature all gamers want.

...Which is again, good evidence for why it isn't real.

Everything they've posted, everyone they've denied access to, suggests the whole thing is a scam. You don't work for 7 years on a game and not let a reputable news source go to you studios. That just doesn't happen.

Cane

Postby Cane on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Well posted Kelston. Would have never thought of those points.

kelston

Postby kelston on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:55 am

[ img ]

For anyone curious and got into beta. Hope you don't have a monthly bandwidth cap.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 am

8,280,670 kB 80 gig or 8 gig? Well, either way, that's way too goddamn big ..

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 am

the number at the top of the screen is 8 gigs, not 80. The guy who made that failed hard.

-]corrupt[- Lexon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -]corrupt[- Lexon on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:50 am

8 gigs is normal for mmorpgs these days.

kelston

Postby kelston on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 am

Wasn't Warhammer's beta client only 2?

8 is absurd unless for some reason they couldn't grasp the simple concept of file compression. I mean, they're supposed to be hosting their own servers and not using us to host their content right?

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:33 pm

the real question is whether this is vaporware or not

any real proof yet?

kelston

Postby kelston on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 pm

It exists in beta form and there's a handful of videos on Youtube for it.

I don't know anything else about it (ie no idea if it fulfills any of the promises it makes) but the footage definitely doesn't look as pretty as the screenshots under "VISUALS" from Darkfall's webpage.

I haven't actually found any real reviews leaking out from the beta besides what DF people are choosing to quote and the "preview" available from TheNoob comic. Though the problem with using her review is that... the Darkfall Online people are the ones that have been paying for her site for 4 years.

Previous

Return to MMORPGs