LAN - Well fuck me (Good)

Discussion of all events in here
Khemikal
Elite Member
Elite Member

LAN - Well fuck me (Good)

Postby Khemikal on Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:12 pm

Guys,

I just realized, in time for the LAN that I'd be into my new house which would have plenty of room for everyone. My only concern would be if the electrical could handle all of our comps. =/

May have to try a mini before then.

The house sits in a very secluded area and has a large amount of land around it for parking, smoking, camping, etc. =P

Something I'm going to consider as well since it would leave more money for food.

Kevin

Rush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Rush on Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:31 pm

does it have a boom boom room?

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:56 pm

We could just rent a generator for a few days to compensate for the extra power.
I ran my whole house off a 12,000 watt generator for 2 months, 5 computers, washer, dryer, lights, all kinds of stuff, had 2 30 AMP circuits and 4 15 amp circuits, that would run quite a few computers, I'm thinking it would handle about a dozen, maybe more.
Combined with the house power, I doubt we would have any issues, other than making sure we keep gas in the damn thing. The one I used ran for approx. 12 hours per tank under load, 14-16 hours with lighter loads.
The tank is 5 gallons.

MaDSpartus
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby MaDSpartus on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

cant we hire some mexicans to pedal a bike with a generator on it, cheaper and less emmissions (if you dont count all those beans they eat)

Khemikal
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Khemikal on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:53 pm

Ty,

This is a 3/2 on a pretty good sized piece of land that I'll be living in and fixing for the next year. I think the electrical is pretty ancient...I'll have to check from the person I bought it from.

Even though I only have 2 neighbors...they might get pissed off from a generator going for 48 hours straight.

Kevin

HangOver
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby HangOver on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Khemikal wrote:Even though I only have 2 neighbors...they might get pissed off from a generator going for 48 hours straight.

Kevin

we can just put the generator inside. we won't even hear it over joels snoring.

BlueSix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby BlueSix on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:05 pm

HangOver wrote:
Khemikal wrote:Even though I only have 2 neighbors...they might get pissed off from a generator going for 48 hours straight.

Kevin

we can just put the generator inside. we won't even hear it over joels snoring.

We wouldn't hear anything, ever again :P

-wicked-toon-X
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby -wicked-toon-X on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:08 pm

hahahha B6 was gonna say... haha

somebody didn't read his hurricane preparedness panthlet

i like the idea as long as get to sleep in your bed....

on a serious note - house lan parties are the shit in my opinion, the only thing
i'd be worried about would be the space.

Khemikal
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Khemikal on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:28 pm

You shouldn't be.

Kevin

Alki
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby Alki on Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:15 pm

Khem, I've held mini-lans consisting of atleast 10 people ... I know we plan to have alot more for the lan.

Power was never an issue, I have a brand new 5800watt (I believe, yes I'm sure) in my garage. Bought it last year, never used it since no hurricane swangby. If needed, let me know, I'll bring it.

But I will tell you, your electrical bill will be a tad higher than normal.

:wink:

TheRealRyanRay

Postby TheRealRyanRay on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:50 am

i have a 10K gen set

but i dont think you will need it

[Creep]-Tyrant

Postby [Creep]-Tyrant on Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:31 am

If your neighbors aren't right up your ass, i.e. more than 100 feet away, the noie won't even be an issue, my neighbor behind me is much closer than that and he said he could just barely hear it in his house and only if he went to the closest room near the wall.
They usually aren't really as loud people think, and a couple $5 sheets of plywood can be popped up around to box them in and dampen the noise further, which is what I did.

Just a thought.

buzz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buzz on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:23 pm

I REALLY don't think a generator is necessary. Like Alki said, I've had little mini-lan's at my house off 1 circuit and it ran just fine. The last one was 7 PC's plus TV and other shit..

We can string long orange extension leads from other rooms if needed.

K0deXaer0

Postby K0deXaer0 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 am

Old houses are a different issue tho in my house this could not be done.
i have 3 computer running 24/7 and basic other things running in the house and still sometimes when i turn on my toster or microwave the braker trips.

-Phatz-
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby -Phatz- on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:15 pm

yea guys it really depends on the house and how old the system is

when we were running our wickednet lans at some of these places including Robbs warehouse remember i added circuits to most those places

really comes down to how many ciruits are running, if he has a 3 bedroom house and lets say 4-5 circuits are running in diffrent areas then we can string around some extension cables and should be fine, considering the old factor doesnt play a role, if he has 3 or less circuits which he might on a older house then there is something to worry about and would consider a generator or having a someone coming out and put some more circuits around

IF you plan on holding more lans and things of this nature might be something to think about, just add them now and use the first lans collection to pay for it, probablyt be somehwere around $500-$800 to add 2-3 more circuits im sure the lan wont pay for it all but would make life easier if your gonna keep holding them there, maybe the community can help a little more as a whole to get this done

Return to LAN Parties